Craig's 2d painting in Blender

wow, this girl is nice :slight_smile: i do not understand however what you do craig … lol… i mean, blender is not photoshop, in photoshop i would clearly understand how you do that. but blender??? is it a highly subdivided plane that you paint in vertex colors? and if so, i am surprised, as vertex color painting works slow on high poly meshes… just curious, blender is so full of surprises, and you did a very nice one :slight_smile:

No this is just painting in the UV Image Editor - add new image, set it to 2048x2048, choose a color, and confirm, and then I start painting. I generally work in black and white first with most stuff since I can colorize with layers of color later if I want. I could use most anything else as an editor, except I don’t have the skill to use Paint or Office liek some of the videos do on youtube.

ah, thank you, now i see… you are painting a texture, so to say… clever idea :slight_smile:

The tools in blender for painting remind me of Paintshop Pro back in the late 90’s. I’ve seen some amazing shit come out of that program so not sure why I never thought to use blender like that. Guess I’ve gotten spoiled by Ps.

I missed it!
Wonderful work Craig !!!
In blender… unbelievable LOL.

Thank you Michalis, I am hoping to start another tomorrow after I get home :smiley:

Sanctuary, I have an interesting thing you might like: using Grease Pencil in 3d view on shadeless plane with the painted texture, I can add all the tiny thin lines I want in layers with opacity, color, and width that I want and use a 200% render in OpenGL to get my new strokes into my image, then scale it back down. This already includes polyline, line, and regular draw, and you can adjust the settings in prefs to get a smooth draw curve if you need it. I think it works well.

Actually, don’t need the 200% render - it works fine at 1 or 3 depending on need.

Interesting trick, i’ll have to give a try.
I often use workarounds for many things, the stencil addition to Blender is helping a lot too.
Something i like to use is the Quick Edit too that Campbell implemented during the Sintel production :

It’s really a great feature as it allows me to use gimp (or any image editor you use) to paint in Blender somehow

As you’re using the texture paint mode , i’m wondering if you’re running into this problem or if it is only my system.
In Blender 2.68 and before, if i was in Texture Paint mode, added a texture for the brush (either procedural or loaded image) , when i pressed F to rescale the brush, it showed me the actual brush preview :
http://i.imgur.com/zCYK7KE.png

That was very usefull (though i wished it was possible to keep that brush preview while actually pencilling too edit : oops that’s possible, just enable the button next to Overlay)

But i noticed since Blender 2.69, and even recent buildbot that it does not display anymore the brush preview but only a white blob :
http://i.imgur.com/BpsDPHG.png
(procedural or image lead into the same)

I know that Psy-Fi is tinkering with the paint code so i was wondering if it’s something he accidentally modified or if it’s something he modified but that my system can’t really follow ?

I wanted to report this on the tracker but it’s currently on read only due to their migration to git.
But before reporting it would be good to know if it’s a problem only for my system or a real bug.

Yes, that is true - 2.69 here stable release I can confirm that the blob is what I see when using procedural clouds texture. If I set the Alpha on for the Overlay, then after scaling, I get the expected texture in the brush view even though during scaling / strength changing, the white blob occurs but not when rotating the brush - that is when the image is fine and as expected.

I have used the quick edit before with Gimp as well, and with Photoshop, and that is nice for a lot of things but I haven’t used it much since Psy-Fi added the Stencil brush and Mask with rotation. Still a very cool technique.

I also found a way to paint in the UV Image Editor by using a mesh object with the Image from the editor loaded in a material as a texture set to UV, then unwrap and project from view from camera - paint it, and the corresponding UV unwrap in the editor is painted . Move the mesh in 3d view and unwrap again, the previous painted pixels are still there in the editor, but the 3d view the mesh is now showing the pixels form the other part of the image - paint that, adn now you have another new painted area in the editor. Save the image, and you can then paint certain details, etc. as you need. This works well for painting designs into your 2d composition, or specific rough shapes that you want relatively clean edges.

I will make a video tutorial on these two techniques used together later today I think; I hope that maybe they might be useful to some that don’t mind stubborn blender user methods :smiley:

Here is the tutorial, sorry for the lack of concentration, I had a few phone calls in the middle of it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Started another timelapse recording while I work on Tigger AKA Satan (bipolar cat) - this is where I am after drawing grease pencil guidelines and using sculpt to get the proportions closer - will need to repaint the one eye that is out of round, but that is the cool part of painting :smiley:

Attachments

Wow thats pretty cool. Layers would be nice though. I guess the compositor will have to do for now. Will try out some matte painting I think :wink:

You can substitute the texture layers in the Blender Internal material for a layer system if you map your image to a plane in 3d view with the camera matched to it - I do this as well, usually when I get so far as to need it. I will rough draw in image editor, save image, then map to material as texture and uv map, then paint in layers in 3d view, render to a new image, continue to paint/composite, etc.

It just keeps going lol… I really think there are some really cool ways to use the compositor, masking, 3d geometry, paint, and lighting to get some crazy stuff going

A little farther now - I get tired and stop, and holidays seem to catch up to me, but I really like how this is coming out so far.

Attachments

Puuurfect. :wink:

It would be frankly amazing already in a painting-dedicaced application , but as it’s made inside of Blender that is not yet at the level of such application i find it even more amazing !

Done with this picture for now, I am wanting to try something else now - sorry it is half size, but the forum couldn’t accept the original at over 3 mb.

Here is the timelapse

Attachments

he he
Amazing!
Lot of love on this one.
I would like to scratch him a bit.
I even can hear him brrrrrr rrrrrr

I did a version after this that colored him to look liek Clovis from our cartoon, adn I think next I will draw an iguana to look like Ray :smiley:

I didn’t even use Psy-Fi’s new brushes, but I plan on extensively using them in a project all by itself - I love the new curve stroke in the GSOC build, but it isn’t out there for everyone so I have been avoiding doing too much with it so as not to anger those without win64 machines.

I hope you’re joking by saying there are people getting angry at you using the tools you prefer to use ?
I can’t imagine anyone looking at the wonders you’re painting and getting angry as if it was only because of a different toolset that you were doing those instead of your own obvious talent.

Keep your fantastic artwork coming !