Craig's 2d painting in Blender

Lovely pencil sketches
Very well done!

(I also liked the guy from SW, forgot his name. Something like ali baba LOL)
(Who always reminds me the classic Alexander Nefsky movie)

Boba Fett, and yes, a lot of the characters remind me of old armor styles from previous movies. Even the newer characters that they make now for video games remind me of older knights and samurai mixed with astronaut suits :smiley:

Thanks, the pencils help me study and get me ‘seeing’ again, and I am trying to learn to relax and go with the rough lines again. I spent too long trying to make everything perfect and forgot about the strokes.

Boba Fett, right, lol
I just posted this image, it very well presents how import abstract art is. 70% of this image is pure geometry. Amazing.
Having seen so many movies, in the end, some stills, some characters remain written in our memory. Even Boba Fett, a less important character in the drama. Is it the abstract structure that makes this amazing trick?

just doodling again

and Fun with Circles lol

Attachments

Here is just me doodling - I wasn’t able to finish because the cat knocked the cord to the computer, but I salvaged the images collected to that point lol

I didn’t noticed you posted that timelapse in august, i watched it and found your technique really great, i wish i had half of your painting skill, would have helped me a lot on my texturing :slight_smile:

Just checked your youtube page and noticed several video i didn’t saw before, will have to watch when i’ll have more time, i really like what you do with the blender paint tools, i learn a lot.

Thank you, drawing while I listen to people discuss things at work is a good way to keep calm, and I only dabble with ideas from the blank slate to stir my own imagination. I made more videos of tutorial type stuff in response to requests over on our blender hangout page on facebook, since it is easier to post a video than to suffer the lag of a google hangout while trying to show how blender works. At least on my computer lol

Just more doodling, always listening to music or talks on pdcasts, or maybe sometimes it helps when thinking about other puzzles

Attachments

Here is a portrait, not as nice as a sculpt, but still fun and in my range of skill

Attachments

Impressive !
You have a real talent in pencilling, i’m sure if you practiced on sculpting you could easily do wonders too, as sculpting digitally involve a lot of drawing skill and you have plenty of that.

Thanks! I tried a few times, but I got stuck when I forgot what my brush settings were, and then got carried away with something else. I’ll have to try again - seems there are so many good sculptors here that I should be able to pick something up

Maybe you could do a tutorial on how to cook Thanksgiving dinner with a book of matches next. lol How did you even think to do this? Man you could be world’s best texture artist.

Thanks for the compliments - I just dabbled in using the UV Image Editor as if it was any paint tool - the settings fro the brush pressure sensitivity combined with the left hand shortcuts for the size and strength make it a great, fast tool for knocking out ideas in a hurry. Texturing aside, I always have drawn ideas on bits of paper and tried to hold onto them and then scan them in to work from - now I am more likely to draw or paint directly in the UV Image Editor to put those ideas down while I listen to the meeting talks, music, or read threads here.

Curiosity got me to the point that I started thinking of how I could do more than just paint, and then I got into learning about masking, compositing, and other small bits that just helped me do things I was supposed to have to go back to an image editor to do. I just approached Blender from the view that it is a 2d app with a built in 3d app, and considered that I could use nodes and material texture layers as substitutes for actual image layers.

I am not advocating to give up on other software, but it is fun to see how far I can push it within one particular software :cool:

Here is the time lapse of the picture of Kathy on youtube - it is unlisted right now, but I figured I would share it here since it isn’t on my own channel. Becasue of using the blender screencast, I didn’t use the grease pencil to draw guidelines this time, figuring I would probably hit escape and have to reset capture.

Thanks for this timelapse, it’s amazing as i never thought you did this portrait in Blender UV/Image editor !

Just a question, at 0:52 you’re drawing some extremely thin line around the eye with what i think is the radius 1 of the brush, how you do this is puzzling me a bit because if i try to do anything with a radius 1 , all i obtain is ugly aliased lines (making it then impossible to make anything looking good with this brush setting), while the antialiasing only works if i get radius 2 instead.
http://i.imgur.com/1atZbqf.png

As i have no such problem with extremely small brushes in gimp or mypaint i always wondered why this was like this and thought it was simply some kind of limitation of the painting inside of Blender.
But seeing you using this radius 1 brush at that point of the timelapse and obtaining the same kind of nice antialiased stroke as i would see in image editing and painting programs, it must then be me doing something wrong, though i can’t see what exactly.

Between that and the oddly very slow 2D painting of the uv/image editor on my system (very odd because the 3D painting in the 3DView is fast and smooth on my system despite it has to manage 3 dimensions instead of only 2 ?) it has always been why i am still using gimp/mypaint combo for my texturing and 2D art needs.

I think that it has to do with the zoom of the view - if you are zoomed in, the brush behaves differently. I think too that I had turned on and off pressure on the radius so that it handled differently - and the strength too. The whole image, I used pressure on strength for most of it, radius for a large percent, and for the hair I used Smooth Stroke and pressure on radius and strength.

The image is 2k, so I don’t know if that is giving you a problem with the same at 1k. I looked back at that point, and I think that you see the illusion of a line, where I really only dropped parts of strokes in there and overlayed a wider brush of less strength to blend.

This was done in the 2.69 stable release on win8 64 bit. I have a bamboo tablet that is pretty beat up and has scratches in the surface that sometimes catch my stroke and guide me sideways lol

My personal opinion is that we should work with what feels right and whatever gets the job done to our satisfaction - and I do have gimp and mypaint and krita, enjoy them very much.

Maybe that’s the fact i’m using a mouse and not a pressure driven tablet that makes the difference then, the paint mode code does probably not take the mouse in account and so display that ugly aliased thing if you use a radius 1 for your brush stroke instead of the nicer soft antialiasing radius 2 and higher will do.

I guess i’ll keep going with gimp+mypaint then so i don’t have to deal with that limitation that is really annoying to me if i try to make very small detailling

But that puzzles me - a radius of 1 is 1 pixel, so there is nothing to appear aliased about it. I dusted off Photoshop and set my image to 1024x1024, set a round brush to 1 pixel,and I got lines pretty much like the ones you showed there. Unless you get image compression going, a single line of 1 pixel wide is gonna suck. Maybe after the polyline, line, and curve strokes are in Blender Stable then we might test that.

I guess I can test all the softs in a minute to see how they compare drawing on the same image. Might be academic.

To be more clear by taking the example of Gimp, using a default brush

If i use the pencil tool , i obtain only aliasied results as expected, regardless of the size of the tool
But if i use the paintbrush tool, i obtain only antialiased results, as expected.
http://i.imgur.com/0TNczHa.png

The oddity with what i see in Blender is that at Radius 2 and higher, the brush behave exactly like the Paintbrush tool of Gimp
But at Radius 1 for some reason it behave like the Pencil tool.

That’s what i find odd.

Maybe this is actually something that could be addressed with Psy-Fi later when he is back on. It might be something as simple as a tweak to the code somewhere, but it is beyond me really. I just paint in bold strokes to begin with, and work smaller as I need to, and I have grown accustomed to working this way. I really urge you to get a tablet pen if you can, since they do afford a lot more expression in all the editors - working with a mouse that way is a talent all in its own, Sanctuary, I commend you on that!

I still might make a reference later for comparison.

edit: looking there, yes, if you have pressure sensitivity on when using a 1 pixel brush, then the strength would fluctuate and appear closer to the one on the left instead of the right. Maybe that is what you saw in the video.