Cosmos Laundromat

Agree with this guy points up. Love the character design.

I like this teaser just fine - I think if you don’t know Franck is a sheep ahead of time, it’s edited very well. And the shot of Franck running away from the tornado with the device around his neck does raise questions. What is going on here? Why is this sheep running away and what the hell is that in the sky?

Also I think Gooseberry is going to be hands down the prettiest Open Movie yet, even if the first ten minutes is pretty thematically dark. That post-rain afternoon light, wow. It makes you feel good to look at it.

Congrats to all the Gooseberry team on hitting this important milestone!

Do we get an unexplained 24 frame render of Tara right at the end of CL part 1 maybe, just to continue teasing the audience? :slight_smile:

This has been the subject of much debate.

Rewatching the trailer again, I really felt that the final shot of Franck is really effective at drawing you in. Despite my earlier critique, I am thoroughly looking forward to seeing the final product, and wish the team all the best.

Looks pretty awesome!

I’m very impressed at the quality and details of Frank the sheep, that’s an amazing piece of work.
That said, i’m frankly disapointed by the quality and details of the human, considering how amazing the sheep is. I know the story will be mostly around Frank the sheep, but still when the 2 characters are interacting in that teaser the difference in visual details between both is huge.

If you use the Hollywood definition, that implies choosing one out of a handful of formulas and basing the entire movie off of it.

A good chunk of what you see in theaters these days use the same formulas and come out with the same morals, studios tend to play it safe and they continue to do that because it continues to pay big on release day.

Nevertheless, I still enjoy good ol’ Hollywood blockbusters every now and then :slight_smile: (Avengers 2 is the most recent example)

Although I was talking about making trailer/teaser (you probably didn’t even read my follow up post).

I think they direction and details of what I have seen so far are incredible for such a small team to pull off. I am still going to support this film regardless whether or not I even like the final film, which I know I will since I have seen most of the directors previous works and I love them. Keep doing what you are doing, perhaps you could pull off a second follow up trailer just to shut the BA arm chair critics like myself up.

Just a question to any of the team members, regarding rendering times if you don’t mind me asking… How long in individual CPU GPU hours are used for each shot and what was the general 1 second of film turn around? and the stats on what sort of computer will be needed for the storm’s tornado to reproduced at home?

I think if you can fill in some tech details like this we can concentrate on these details instead of the trailer’s appeal. BTW I have watched it over 20 times now picking out areas which I am truly impressed with. Like the subtle tears of joy marks on Victors face in the final scene. After all this thread is titled Cosmos-Laundromat not Cosmos-Laundromat the trailer. Can we get some positive discussions going on here. I know I added a negative view, but I also don’t want to only focus on that, after all the hard work already gone on into this project. Thanks

Meh… The grass and fur look good, the rest… yeah. Like Btolputt I dont see any hook, and quite frankly (hehe frank) there is an “art house”… or experimental indie vibe… which I guess given the french perspective isnt surprising. It feels like something thats trying to mimic what appear at cannes or some college arts event. That stuff isnt really for the “masses” or at least “mass appeal”.

Now I admit I might be a little to harsh, since from the get go I thought this project was done foolishly… so theres probably some bias getting in the way but I also think, at the heart of it, my criticism is still spot on.

On a side note: how hard someone works on something doesnt matter…only the result, sentiment doesnt trump reality in my opinion. So I’m not one to let that effect my final judgement. Some teachers in my country are at the point where they say “good job” to children who get a math problem wrong (2 +2 = 34), which is why our education ranking is in the drain… and its the same thing I feel when it comes to projects like this. Results over sentiment.

Honestly, maybe you guys could have learned a lot more from Kung Fury. (which is a great testament for EU/Swedish film makers)…and how it was handled rather than a Art House version of InSheeption (Inception). At least give the red head a Scottish accent and a kilt for crying out loud… and the sheep curly red hair with mother issues…and bear issues (joking, poking fun at Brave). But seriously… I hope after this there will be a break from the open film stuff.

Despite all the harsh criticism I just threw your way and since theres probably no going back for you guys… try damn hard to at the very least make it impressive as if it were a tech demo at the same time. In fact, release content as though it were, because thats whats going to get people interested in Blender as an application… and really thats all that matters unless you make a ton of money from the film (narrative) itself…which I doubt.

In 10 minutes? …if 10 minutes is all you can pump out with the budget you guys got, money is clearly being wasted. No you cannot build a “good” dramatic story for a feature film in 10 minutes. It should be clear this project isnt liked enough to warrant more crowd funding for a feature. /facepalm I seriously dont understand you people. Maybe its just me coming from that Hollywood point of view but this is amateur.

Look, I understand that it is never nice to have your work criticised. It sucks and it can sap all the energy out of you when it happens. So I want to be clear that the renders look great. The hair & particle effects are pretty brilliant. The lighting great. Animation on the sheep is good (however I wasn’t in love with that of the bearded bloke though). This all said, the teaser doesn’t so much “tease” as “tech demo”. Not something I think is desired for the next round of crowd-funding (a campaign already hobbled by many contributors already subscribed to Blender Cloud).

There are going to be some that hate on the Gooseberry project regardless, there are going to be those that praise & love it regardless, and then there are going to be those I think the artists (& Blender Institute) should listen to. I’m not going to say who those people are but it should be apparent by the balance of feedback. If there is nothing but criticism/ranting or nothing but praise/thanks - there is a good likelihood the author’s bias is not going to help anyone grow/improve. :wink:

Actually, we include critique as part of the process on a daily basis in sessions called “dailies”. Criticism is vital to the process.

This focused and considered critique from respected fellow artists, however, is a long way from the voluminous paragraphs of churlish winging to be found from a handful of users on the Blender Artists forums. We don’t get that in the youtube comments, or on the Gooseberry blog, and it’s quite sad to see that the once great BA forums have degenerated so far that most of the professional Blender users I know (not just Gooseberry crew) avoid it these days.

Don’t like the project? Fine. move on.

I appreciate you guys are working to a tight schedule to get this thing moving, lit, rendered, comped and out into the world on time and on budget. Still holding out hope there’s some wiggle room to get Tara in there somewhere now that the pink forest sequence has been cut down to just a few shots… but if she misses out, 100% understand why.

Good luck!

>We don’t get that in the youtube comments, or on the Gooseberry blog

Yup well we know why that is. Ton removes what he doesn’t like. While we are deaf to any real examination of the basis or performance of this project we aren’t going to make any progress. Sorry but no one in their right mind would believe that what has been done justifies a full movie and frankly I struggle with the notion that the artists themselves will be happy with the actual content delivered no matter how well they polish it. There is no kind way to say this but this movie is quite lame. Sure its nicely attended to and well rendered by the artists, and Blender has been usefully extended by the coders, but content wise its lame, and I agree with Saint, considering the time and money available, it has come up short of what I would expect was possible. This whole project was not as well thought through and defined as it should have been and that has flowed on to other persistent troubles such as the never ending script revisions and editing that have reduced the movie to virtual pointlessness by default. The trailer has little substance because the movie finally doesn’t have much either.
Sorry but honestly that’s the way I see it…

I can see quite a few comments on both the blog and in the youtube comments, where people say that they don’t like the trailer / are not impressed / find it “meh” or “awkward” / not as stunning as Sintel and so on…

And there is nothing wrong with getting advice from fellow respected artists. Especially when it comes to animation, technique, timing, etc. They are a far better source for such critique than the forums. No doubts, no arguments. That said, with all due respect to your distaste for the negative feedback here on BA, if you want to gauge public impressions - you need to ask the public.

Really? From the first page of YouTube comments:–
I have to be honest. It is meh up to 0:30 and awkward after that. Plus the black BG with orange texts (an improvement from white text) are distracting, which made it felt like 80’s and early 90’s product.

OK … i don’t want to judge too quickly, but that doesen’t look that stunning, so far … compared to stuff like sintel…

Blaming it on the degeneracy of the BA forums is a cop out. :no:

Don’t like the forums? Fine. Move on. :stuck_out_tongue:

More seriously, the Blender Institute is looking for people to crowd-fund the next step. Sadly, whether you agree with them or not, whether you like it or not, the opinion of people from the BA Forums is not something you can just dismiss as irrelevant. Blender & the Blender Institute have more recognition & a better reputation here than they do elsewhere. When here & elsewhere start saying the same things - it is reasonable to think that maybe, just maybe, there is something to it.

I suggest telling that to freen. He seems to be under the impression it is limited to the BA forums and ignorable as a result.

Dingto - at this time there are 21 comments about the trailer on the Gooseberry site and none of them are of the not impressed or meh nature you allude to, however I was taking a wee swipe at Ton with my comment there because I really really did not like it when he stripped my post a few weeks ago and blocked my IP address… I don’t know if he is really expecting me to donate to a movie after that??..

This is an offensive sentence. Have you any proofs they wasted money? If you have share here.
TBH I’m not a fan of this type of story, but this don’t mean it is a bad effort or a flop, and in ten minutes you can create something very appealing.

To me, this don’t look a good trailer, I’ll never buy a ticket for looking something presented in this way.

Like 3d artist (“artist” is important word very abused…), I like the rendering, and the animation looks very good.

Trailer is ok for a 10 minute movie. I’m intrested in something else. Why chose Pixar look if you’re not making a movie for kids. Are you not alienating part of the audience by trying to be “edgy”? Cursing (“fucking hoofs”), smoking, forest of dildos (in future episodes). I’m not attacking, overall I like what I see, probably more than previous projects. I’m just curious.

I’ve been following the weekly’s and the teaser/trailer both content wise and tech wise comes at no surprise to me. The Gooseberry project as a movie is trying to be a bit too much from the start, and falls short of a simple entertainment factor (IMHO of course). I am involved in producing TV content on a daily basis, and I’ve seen a lot of projects like this. A lot of big ideas, but simple things not worked out in advance. Still I wish all the best for the team and the movie/pilot and hope its a big pleasant surprise when done.