Concept Supercar--Vulcan

very cool. I like the last one most im also kinda curious how tou achieved such a bright tail lamp. My vipers. no matter how bright I make them, just dont get brighter.

I kinda cheated with the taillight tbh. I obviously added a flare in post, set to add blend mode, so it really brightened it up. However, I think it has to do with how you model the taillight. You really have to make sure your cover glass shader is spot on, down to the exact IOR of glass. Then model each individual LED, and make sure that they’re in front of a chrome backplate, just like in a real car.

Thanks so much for pointing me to that thread, Blender Matt! It looked helpful, but I actually recently devised a way around it of my own: make a drawing of the shadow of the car in Photoshop, and use it as a factor input for a mix node whose shader inputs are a diffuse and a transparent. I’ll post the node setup if you like!! Here’s a quick testrender using this method.

I think the shadow is too dark, but hey, that’s easy to adjust!! :slight_smile:

Here’s another image.

The paint is glossy in this image, so Blender Matt can see that there are now reflections of the ground on the car body! Yay!

Some more.

I originally rendered this in 4k but the file is too big to upload here, so here’s a half-size version.

Another.

Aaaaaand another.

Looking good! :slight_smile:

Thanks! Here’s some funky paint.

I like this picture. It looks sexy :slight_smile:
This thread/car is getting better and better!

Keep it up!

About your car-design:
I like the front very much. The more I look at it, the more I appreciate it. The back looks sexy and the new boot lid is perfect. :slight_smile: The diffusor however, doesn’t fit the car in my opinion. In the end, it’s your design but I miss four exhaust pipes. Perhaps like a Ferrari FF.

Your bumpers and fenders are one big piece. This isn’t good for a production car but if you want to keep this, it’s ok.

i like this angle, very aggressive, the car paint in good :), i noticed some unnatural glitches in some areas, here:

i’m sure that it doesn’t come from the mesh, try to move your lights to avoid them ;).
also you should work a bit on your interior (the red is too strong in my opinion).
i’m sorry if i smashed you with those crits, but i only want to help ;).

And, all in all it look great, your concept is really cool.

I dont know that the red is too bright, but its not realistic. Try throwing a leather shader in there with the red, or a red CF texture. Might find it does wonders. The interior almost seems more well lit than the outside of the car, is all.

Thanks for the great critique Ghilas!! Actually, the weird part on the skirt is a topological problem that I’ll get around to fixing eventually. This will probably be the last render for a while, as my 1-week break from school is up tomorrow. Soo…here goes.

Wow, some great renders lately! I really like the black paint version, it’s very sleek and sexy. But this latest B&W render is also very nice! I don’t know what the colors were in the original render, but seeing it in grayscale, it is certainly very dramatic and has strong composition. It really nails the feeling of movement with how our eyes move first to the car, and then forward/right with the line of the road. Of course in countries where people read from right to left, perhaps the effect is not as strong. But maybe I’m over-analyzing it; it’s a cool picture! Great job.

That’s a nice composition! It would be even better if the HDRI (and thus the reflections) was blurred.

James Candy: Thank you! I really appreciate your kind words. Your analysis of the composition of the last render was very interesting; I’d never have thought to compare images to reading, but it does kinda make sense to do so! I believe the composition type is called “leading line” by the way; where it draws your eyes along a line in the picture.

Oscar J: Thanks! Yeah I made the car move along the 3d road, so it blurred the road texture, but for some reason it didn’t blur the HDRI texture’s reflections. Sad but I figured it’s not all that noticeable since most of the reflections you see in the car body are of the distant mountains, which wouldn’t be motion blurred anyway.

doris: Thank you! I’m glad I could reach out to people who aren’t normally into cars. That link is very helpful! I’ve been playing around with the file, but I think I’m gonna need some higher resolution HDRIs before I can make something worth showing. For some reason it seems to enlarge the HDRIs, pixelating them. Maybe it’s just my imagination.

Here’s the previous render, without the black and white filter applied. Hopefully the red makes it stand out from its green background.

Haven’t had much time to work on this lately, but I thought I’d show you guys a render I made today in my spare time.

Very nice! I actually like the renders in posts 45 and 59 the best.

Thanks Longaly! I kinda messed up the lighting in the last one; there’s some random streaks of light on the back near the taillight, but I’m glad you like it! I’m planning on working on the road render a bit more; I like it because it makes the car feel powerful and fast, but I screwed up the background and lighting on that one. I’ll keep you guys posted whenever that happens, but for now I need to focus on wrapping up the semester! (OT, but it’s kinda hard to believe that by this time next year I’ll be done with high school!)

try to use a stronger paint (a bit more saturated), also the glass part should have some reflection, they look like there are no windows ;), other than that, it’s cool, i also like the ground texture.