Concept Supercar--Vulcan

I really like your car and the design. Nice modeling, too.
Wish I could model my drawn cars like you.

One thing I don’t like is the boot lid: it’s tiny!
I suggest to increase the width, so the cars back looks stretched.

I really like it! Just drawing my own car sketch. It’s definitely hard to get look original these days. You really got to take best parts from every beautiful car model in the world (Italy :D) and mix those to look somewhat new and fresh.
I have many times thought about the whole concept of good design. It’s very complex and hard thing to achieve.

Although your design is not original but it is indeed good. Well done!

I like the fold in the door, makes me think the Nissan Z should have Z folds. Maybe some other car manufacturer can do that or maybe it’s not a Z fold but a V for Vulcan.

Btw, what section of the car are you working on now? I’m really curious to see if you do an E-break, haha. On the shifter you should do the honey-comb design that you have in the “break the mold” render, and like a platinum colored ‘V’. That’d look sick. And you should do honeycomb somewhere else. I love this honeycomb thing you started XD

Thanks for your feedback guys! And thanks eMPai for your drawing. that was helpful. I fixed it and I’ll show you soon.
IconW, thanks! Yes design is difficult. It seems like all the good design elements have been taken. Haha.

J-factory, that’s an interesting idea bout the shift knob. I should probably detail the interior a bit more. I just finished the rear diffuser. I’ll show it to you in a bit! I’ve been working on small tweaks all throughout the body, just getting everything a bit more to my liking. I added windshield wipers today.

I made a new paint shader. Believe it or not, the first one didn’t have a single Fresnel node in the setup at all. This one looks more realistic in that regard.

looks much better. I hate when people dont use fresnel nodes. They are your best friend with photo real car paint shaders.

If I had to say anything about the scene is you have a strange reflection on the running board but TBH that can probably just be post prod out. dont force yourself into doing everything in blender if you know you can do better else ware…

my other suggestion is work on the tire shaders a bit. If you want to see my node setup for mine, I uploaded mine to blendswap and am still sitting pretty right up near the top of the materials column.

It turned out really great i like it.

Hey thanks for the feedback, ThorntonStrolia! I agree the tire shaders are my weakest part. I think I’ll fiddle around with them a bit more. Thanks for offering your shaders! I might give them a try and see how that turns out!
Here’s an attempt at HDRI with a bit of sideways motion blur to make it look like a bad iPod picture or something.

HDR came out good. It actually looks more realistic because you made the car the same quality as the rest of the scene. a little blured with digital zoom color reduction. For a first attempt im rather impressed.

Thank you very much ThorntonStrolia! Here is a second attempt.

Black and white is usually easier to get to look better.

I agree it fits in the scene a lot better, but to be honest your camera angle makes the car look like a toy. Try lowering it a bit. general rule of thumb is unless the shot is top down, dont show the top of the car… exceptions being that it is a studio shot with super low focal length. other suggestion is the focal length looks wrong for your choice of HDRi. Try a focal length of 88mm or higher for this. wouldnt go higher than 120, though.

Hello, great model and renders. I have a critique for the composition on the last picture. I think you need to do it in 32-bit from original materials to postproduction. I have a feeling that whites and hightones are washed out. Maybe that matters

Oh! Sorry, I was speaking on that “break the moll” thing, and it was eliminated from the thread, so never mind

I like the modeling. But, the car paint material is not appealing to me.

Thanks for the comments, folks! Here’s another attempt, using a different backplate. I changed the camera angle, but I left the focal length at around 30mm, because if you zoom in too much, the backplate becomes pixelated.

Some serious surface discontinuity around the tailgate, but I kind of like this composition. What do you think?

I have so much more interest in this than a model of a car that already exists! :wink: Good progress!

By the way, in your renders lit by HDRi, are you projecting the ground image onto a plane too? I don’t know if it is just my eyes but the car doesn’t seem to have the reflection of the texture of the ground that I would expect.

Great eye, Blender Matt; I’m using render layers; one is the car floating in space with the HDRi background, the second is the car on a white ground plane casting a shadow on it. Then I composite them together. This, unfortunately, eliminates any ground reflection in the body that would normally be there. Good catch!

too be clear, focal length is NOT zoom. Focal length in short is further separation of the lenses inside the camera. It does have a zooming effect, considering it works very similar to the way you manually manipulate the optical lens zoom, however the lenses are different and the ones inside the camera are often (but not always) stationary. (sorry if I got any of that wrong, to any of you camera enthusiasts. The extent of my knowledge really does end at what I need for a good render)

The longer the focal length the less distortion around the edges and the more orthographic the image will feel… shorter focal lengths are the exact polar oposite. More depth and more distortion… its not just making the image bigger.

If the HDRi is becoming pixelated than you need to get one that wont be pixelated, zoom out and increase the clipping distance, or make the image smaller. Your focal lengths are different. They just are. Its not really an opinion. Numbers are numbers and I can tell that the focal length they used is closer to 50-80, possibly higher.

Focal length is NOT a direct perportion so you cannot say 130-150 will make the same difference depth difference as 30-50. it is very much a quadratic slope. a quadratic slope is always your number divided by 2 but it can never be 0. 30-50 might make a very drastic change but 130-150 might appear minuscule at best.

Interesting commentary, ThorntonStrolia. That’s good to know about the focal length not being linearly proportional to the zoom. Here’s a studio render of it. Note that I’ve worked a lot on the rear diffuser lately.