Conan the Barbarian Statue | Kfir Merlaub Art

Thanx guys very happy for the feature!! More to come soon :slight_smile:

wow simply stunning, great sculpt man!

are you trying to fill the top bar with your work only :wink:

I just realized something about your statueā€™s left pectoral muscle. The dimple there looks too much like a scar. The one on the left looks great. I grabbed some photos from google to show you what I mean. The way you have it set up there, it appears to be deeper than it should. Maybe it is just the lighting you used? Here, please view these links. Notice that the light spirals into the dimple instead of surrounding a recession. Is there a way to soften the lower outside edge of the dimple perhaps? As a fellow artist, I would love to hear what you think about this critique. Is what I am saying reasonable? or am I just over reacting?

Sepia Arnold
Sunlit Arnold

Iā€™d like to see sculpting of T-800.

@rombout, Thanx man! I now want to continue and update the portfolio with more works basically until I get my goal of finding top clients to produce these and others as collectibles. I also try to find my path in terms of solidifying (not the modifier haha) my workflow. So soon I hope to have some tutorials or a book or soā€¦ I still think how to go about it once I get there.

@Ester McAndrus, Thanks for the notes. I must agree with you! I noticed this problem too, my use of the crease tool was too strong thereā€¦ Definitely something I need to get better in defining the shapes on that level. And I strive to show that progress on other upcoming works. This is definitely the place for this critique. I welcome it! Thank you! I do believe its one of the major ways of developing :slight_smile:

@Lucas15, I think of doing so! But it will be later in lineā€¦ Actually the hard surface on it is so intricate it will take much time. but definitely a great idea!

This, and Batgirl, make me a big fan of yours!

Do you find it easier to use Blender for sculpting?

Thanks SamusDrake! I am happy to hear and hope to update with more soon! :slight_smile:
I find Blender easier to handle. The software has a 3d app reasoning compared with the Zbrush tools and sub tools etc.
The primary reason is having objecet with local symmetry. this allows a sculpting workflow into the pose. For me its ideal. Zbrush does have a natural highend quality and it take time to adjust to blender sculpting and customize it to get good results. But really when it comes to sculpting especially organic shapes, the most basic sculpting tools are the ones needed and Blender supplies them wonderfully!

Wow, truly inspiring! Thank you for posting and discussing your workflow!

Find Arnies mail and mail it to him :smiley:

That is sooo awesome!

Thatā€™s a darn great sculpt! Iā€™m impressed at the detailing, and itā€™s one of the first sculpts (no offense meant to all the great Blender sculptors out there) that I truly feel could compete with ZBrush ā€” in fact, what I feel Blender lacks is good support for alphas and detailing tools, and I canā€™t get used to the grab tool, which I find to be much more intuitive in Sculptris or in ZBrush.
Iā€™m not very used to the polycounts for high-detail sculpts, so is 11 million polys something one could expect from todayā€™s sculpts? Iā€™m used to going crazy as soon as I go over 1 million, as I usually used Sculptris (which often dies once you reach that count), and in Blender my computer fan starts working hard at that point.

@VanPelt, Thanks! I actually reached higher levels with Batgirl - 21 million verts.

I only use dyntopo just to layout the basic formsā€¦ After that I remesh the model to higher and higher levels, just like in Dynamish with Zbrush.
The Grab tool works much more like Zbrush if you tweak the curve falloff. Try to imitate the Zbrush falloff and you will see its almost identical in effect. The blender default curve is not as optimal like the Zbrush default. Just a bit of tweaking and you should get better control.
I find Blenderā€™s way of using Alphas in sculpting satisfactoryā€¦ I wish there would also be a default set of useful alphas preloaded with Blender. For now I just import alpha from my collection upon need.
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Very impressive, inspiring work!
It is also good to see how you raise the bar statue by statue. Letā€™s see some 3d printed! I think a kickstarter project would make it possible in a very short time.

@kfir: Thanks a lot for the tips! Iā€™m going to practice in order to get to grips with sculpting, your work is very inspiring. As I donā€™t come often around Blenderartists, I missed that Batgirl statue. Excellent job!

Thanx Guys! I am getting many messages from collectors about the availability of this sculpt, and trying to contact production studios to get it printed and produced.
Would love it if you Would support me :slight_smile:

Here is a first attempt at a promotional image:

Would be a dream if this would be produced. I will definitely update :slight_smile:
Love to hear what you think.
Thank you!
Kfir

Kfir, very cool work!!! What version Blender you are using in sculpting? What addons you use? Andā€¦ What configuration of your PC?) Thank you.

Hi Alex, Thanks for the feedcack! I am using the latest version of Blender v2.76b.
I use only 2 addons at the moment:
sculpting tools

quick preferences
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/3D_interaction/QuickPrefs

Thanks so much for the developers!!!

My computer is ASUS ROG laptop, GTX 98M and 16 gigs of ram

@kfir: One more question about your workflow, just to make sure I understood correctlyā€¦ You use dyntopo to build the shapes, then retopo everything to quads, and then use the Multiresolution modifier as usual, subdividing and adding more detail each time? Thanks!

@VanPelt: Thank you for inquiring! My work is raw remeshed sculpts. I donā€™t retopologize and I donā€™t use the multires modifier. This saves me a lot of time. Especially if your goal is a statue production or a 3d concept. I wish the multires modifier will be updated to be more robust like in Zbrush and will also not require retopo for performance. This will reduce file size and of course work on different resolutions. Until then I work raw. I am happy Blender allows this performance on raw highres meshes. Hope this helps! Thank you!

Kfir,

Why donā€™t you launch a participative campaign on kickstarter or something like this.
You should contact Jonathan williamson, I think heā€™s in close relationship with shapeways and you could get some nice offer or find a deal with them.

I believe you have like 5 or6 models that are beyond professional quality to be 3D printed.
If people pay before you even start production, that could be cool and that will give you credibility to convince companiesā€¦

Whatever, donā€™t wait for the other to make money on your work and try to make it on your own :slight_smile: