Complete quality sci-fi vehicle-design. You're welcome. ; )

Yeah, I can see what you’re going for then.:wink:

Wow you really have a neat node setup. And I mean, literally… neat. Like, it’s not sphaghetti, it’s an aerial view of a city.

Any, critique. Yeah. So…

Pretty cool, man. I’m loving the textures. Oh, teach me MASTER.

Good. ; )

I messed up the poor lamps a bit. The render is still in the blender though. ; )
In the meantime I’ll try to please those who wanted to see some nodes. Even though I collapsed many nodes, the size got out of control again. At least I added two close ups from the part where the scratched wear is generated. It won’t make sense though because the different segments are interconnected. I don’t understand most of it myself anymore. Especially in the second close-up. XD Anyways, here it is. Hope you find this result of my brain going haywire useful.

Looking at this now it seems soooooo pointless. But hey, now you know I tried. ; )
(The test-render is coming once the blender is done mixing 500 samples)

You acheived one thing, now I’m inspired to try making some more procedural materials.

The nodes are really not that complicated. A few easy principles applied many times… Thank you, I’m not a tutorial-guy but I’ll think of one about hard-surfacing once this project is done. I learned only from the free stuff out there, you can get there as well. ; ) Sadly there is also a lot of trash you have to sort out first.^^

The lamp did not turn out that great but we’ll see and maybe tweak once the candle and glass are in place.

I hope I can at least continue to devote an hour a day to this. Let’s see.
See you in the next one guys.

One thing? Don’t forget the cables…^^ The black one is my favorite. ; )
Looks so fishy… XD It communicates hydraulics. : )

I also wanted to show that you really don’t need substance or quixel if you have blender. : )

The cables look pretty neat. I’m still not 100% convinced that everything can be done procedurally, but you can do a lot. I’m guessing you’ve seen Bartek Scrupa’s Blender Conference video on Texture Coodinates? If you haven’t, it’s truely a must see.

I did not say that everything can be done procedurally, but there is also nothing more other programs can do procedurally. The Conferece demo is quite interesting. I didn’t know about the modulo operation which seems very useful.

I started with the glass but it is soo hard to wrap your head around the weathering. Furthermore the renders are painfully slow and noisy making it hard to get an idea of the result you’re getting. Glass is a completely new territory for me. I plan on reorganizing things in the shader and add upon that. I went back for the more reflective paint on the rest.
Here’s the the current status…

To get rid of the noise and still keep the glass effect, you want to mix the glass BSDF with a transparent BSDF (glass on top, transparent on bottom) and add a light path node. Plug the “is camera ray” output into the mix factor. If I got the node setup correct, you should see the noise disappear and the refractions+reflections stay. You’re welcome.:smiley: Also, try adding some scratches to the glass. That could help a lot.:wink:

I thought the glass should be the bottom one… ^^ I don’t use the glass BSDF but I’ll ceep it in mind. My problem is not the surrounding noise (don’t care about that ; )) but the noise directly on the glass. I’ll just have to live with that and the final might include this trick if I need it and if it doesn’t change the lighting to much. Now that you recommend it, I’ll probably add very very subtle scratches because glass would rather break. So cracks are planned as well. I just have to get the basic functionality of the shader right first. I got so little time for this… I guess my future has priority. ; )
Edit: OK I’ll try and see if it actually clears up the glass because that would be neat for previewing…

Those nodes are crazy o.O

Some of them could really visit a mental hospital, but most of them are actually quite sane. ; P

The light path trick completely messed up the glass, so that’s no option. I made the flame brighter and managed to get the dirt to work. Bump is included as well, even slight scratches but the noise is hiding it. I think, in the final this part will have to be rendered separately with a ridiculous amount of samples. Just look at the numbers…^^ Over an hour and this is the result.

I’ll leave it like this for now. It has a nice mood in darker environments.
C+C is still appreciated btw…

Hm, I guess I messed up that node config then.XD

No don’t worry… ; ) but the principle simply does not work. I’ve tried both variants. That’s because it’s not representative of the glass with 4 layers when you only render the top one. I might check the passes to see what causes the most noise and exclude it in the light paths if the result doesn’t suffer. My theory behind the noise is, that the combined usage of absorption, scattering, refraction, glossy, diffuse and translucency is the reason for the very messy sampling. All my clean looking hard-surface stuff is actually just a glossy- and a diffuse BSDF.

Yeah, a material with all of those effects will be noisy. I think Terrance8D has the right idea, but the wrong execution. I’m sure when you look at the passes, you can figure out what is causing the noise, and then you can optimize for it with the light path node.

EDIT: hopefully I’m not just repeating what you said.

Oh well, I guess that trick only works with “simple” glass.:wink: I think your idea sounds pretty good though.

*pulling thread out of the endless void of second page threads… phew…
Here I am again. Had a lot of stress and stuff going on lately so… whatever no one missed it.
I’m back and will be going strong for at least a few days.

I was very excited to test my AMD card but that didn’t last very long…^^
50 samples:[INDENT=2]CPU time: 9.81s
GPU time: 9.63s
[/INDENT]

I guess I didn’t miss much using CPU until now, huh?
Someone else having experiences with their AMD/ ATI cards?
Are NVidia cards really much faster than CPU (seriously^^)?

Btw I’d like to hear from the more experienced artists here if it would be possible to finish a scene in time for this competition thingy that’s going on in all the other threads.
Just to do at least something with this project I guess…

I just rendered a 980x540 (half of 1080p) image on my nVidia GTX 550Ti with 1000 samples, clocking in at 12m 52.05s, that took over thirty minutes when it wasn’t allowing me to use my graphics card.
So yeah, it is faster.

Yes, Nvidia cards are much faster.:smiley: Assuming your CPU isn’t a bottleneck.