CodyWinch - Sketchbook

Day 10 Bang from One Punch Man. Not quite wrinkly/old enough to capture his look in my opinion.

Day 11 Sculpt Wolf Head

Reference from the wargs in the hobbit mostly.

Day 12 Felbeast reference from Lord of the Rings.

Day 13 Lord of the Rings Troll

Day 14 Horse and Warg base mesh sculpts

Day 15 Continuation of the Troll sculpt

Day 16 Gondorian Helmets

Day 17 Sculpt Oliphaunt

Major forms of the oliphaunt blocked out

Day 18 Sculpt Furiosa from Mad Max.

Doesn’t really capture the actresses look but I like it overall.

Day 19 Male base mesh beginning

Starting a multi-day/week long sculpt following the zbrush series. It is a great tutorial series that I watched last week but now I am following along to really learn his method.

Hello!!
I followed you quest with interest for a time now, and I see only today that you are open to critics, and I love critics hehe.
So here I go:
I see that you do almost all your sculpt very fast, and that you see that in a good way. I have to say that I totally disagree with that, and I see in your sculpt a lot of that. There is nothing quick in sculpting, there is for me a lot of observations, and a lot of usage of references, I feel that you practice a lot, but it seams that you are not progressing, and I think it is because you don’t spend enough time to properly see what you are doing.
You are getting better in doing what you now how to do. but that is not study in my mind, study is taking the time you need to do something perfect (it will never be, but you try your best). The brain goes from slow to fast, not the other way around. you first do something slowly, and then you start going faster, but always in your best, not in your maybe…

As always I can be totally wrong! but I feel I have to tell you.
Keep going! we need good sculptors in blender!

PD: what is the zbrush series that you are following??

Thanks for the feedback Tonatiuh.

There are many reasons why I started this challenge. It was mostly to force myself into getting more work done and posting it online. It isn’t really my goal to just speed up my sculpting. It is true that these sculpts are done very fast and you make a good point of practicing what I know and not progressing. That is why I am now switching to longer sculpts instead of just a new sculpt everyday. I felt like you did that I wasn’t progressing and that I have refreshed myself on sculpting now it is time to move towards things that will hopefully make me a better sculptor.

Now I may be doing it the wrong way and there is a better way to hone my skills. If so please do tell me I welcome any criticism and advice.

I do use references and I do try to make observations of what I did wrong with the previous days sculpt. Not always very successfully but I do try.

This is the zbrush series I am following https://gumroad.com/grassetti

Ou yeah!!! I love that series! grassetti is really good! well he is like a God hehe.
That is going to help you fore sure!!! and that series is going deep enough in to anatomy. You are going to love it. If you really are in to sculpt human or humanoid, you really have to put your anatomy together, the bone structure, the landmarks, the different volumes, the proper proportions. That make magic, with the skills you have already, and some knowledge, you will be a rock start in no time! (don’t get me wrong, it takes time of course, but it is going to be faster that you think)

The very first video, the anatomy 01 proportions, you have to spend as much time with that as you probably can, it you nail that, the rest is just filling the gaps. and educate your eye and your brain.

I’ll do my best and critic you as much as I can. If we want better sculpting tools in blender we really have to shine, and do the best staff, we need great sculptures.

Happy blendsculpting!

Refining the proportions. Going to spend another hour or so going back over it paying close attention to the first video before moving on to the second.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Tonatiuh.

Well! that is a lot nicer that the last one. be aware of the gesture, it feels like it has not balance, and the weight is out, like he is falling backwards. I’ll try myself to see if I can do it.
Keep going!!

You can check mainhere, it is hard! he goes to fast, hehe I have to go a few times! but it is a very very good practice.

Day 21 furthering the anatomy sculpt focusing on the front of the torso

Good observation on the off balance gesture I fixed it but will give it another look with fresh eyes tonight.

That is a nice torso!!! big abdominal muscles, I find that the first one don’t let to see the chest, and that is not good. the abdominal muscle, goes on top of the chest, bone and meet the pectoralis major… It easy if I make a draw:

Original picture.
Also I draw a nice gesture of the abdominal muscles hehe.

Back of the torso

Tonatiuh not sure I 100% understand what you are saying. Are you saying the first/top abdominal should be more subtle or smaller?

I found myself struggling with trying to get find a balance between too defined and too subtle. Especially in the serratus and abdominals. They are a bit too pronounced currently and I will go back over them in future sessions.

Yes… sorry my English is really bad…
I don’t care about the amount of abdominal mass, I just think in the gesture, your model seams to spend a lot of time in the gym, that is ok, but you have to see the chest in the first one of the abdominal portions.
I think that you have to decide how much fat your model has, the one you are working on, I think he has like 8% which is little, you can search in google the fat percent, and see references of that amount of fat. but you have to be consistent in the hole body, and for that references of real people are just fundamental.
A normal human, has around 12 or 14% of fat (some countrys just destroy that number…)

Also you can think to, in the kind of training your model does, so you can decide which muscles are going to be more prominent. But for the beginning the best is to aim at normal people with 12% of fat, and a healthy lifestyle.