Canberra B2 WH640 in 1956 Suez Crisis Livery

Thanks Tommy - I have downloaded and installed this - it works well.

Thanks, Clock.

Well I have been kept busy for a while!

I know it does not look very different to last time, but I have:

1. Completely redone the UV mapping, having finally got my head around Seams. I unwrapped the entire upper section in one go, pinned the centreline and then unwrapped the rest and pinned it. I then did the same for the entire lower section, it is much easier to work with now.

2. Produced a new camo image - 4096 x 8192 pixels, in two halves for each major section, i.e. one half pale blue, then the other the lighter of the two camo colours. The other bits like tip tanks are then UV mapped to the same image and I then positioned the various bits on the appropriate base colour.

3. Painted the camo on this image in Blender using Texture Paint, so all the areas line up properly, using the tracker pad on my Mac - fiddly but worthwhile.

4. Produced a decals layer, following the teachings of Witold, having finally understood what his book was telling me! I made this in blender, using coloured shapes and rendered it in Orthographic mode with my output set to 4096 x 8192 and no compression, I set my film to Transparent to get the null background around the decals. I then mixed this into the camo image using Witold’s “Stack Image” node, with a HSV intermediate to vary the saturation, intensity and opacity levels - thanks Witold, I got there in the end.

5. Completely remade all the glass work, I have still to cut the holes in the fuselage again, but I will do these the WJ way using a Transparent Shader mix controlled by an Image Texture - I now understand all that from guess who as well.

So here she is - next its on with the panels and control surfaces - for the second time :eek:

Cheers, Clock.

PS If you really want to know how to do a project like this - BUY Witold’s books they are worth every penny, even if it does take a long time to get through them and tax your brain a little. :spin:

Here she is in polished aluminium finish:

I have started my bump maps, cutting the rudder with a very thin “hole” shape in my holes image node, then applying some shading in my bump map image to get the rounded corners,

Cheers, Clock.

Looking great. I’m loving the polished aluminium look. Pity someone appears to have a target lock right in the middle of her though. :smiley:

Incidentally, I always wondered about the sense of putting camo on a plane and then adding stripes that make it stand out like dog’s balls. They might as well paint the whole thing fluoro orange and be done with it.

Yep - forgot to move the cursor before I took the screenshot - oops!

The yellow and black stripes where added for the same reason as the black and white ones used on the WW2 D-Day flights, they were to stop “friendly fire” - can’t think which airforce they had in mind for that…

Cheers, Clock.

Yeah I heard about that from people who were in WWII and Vietnam. “When the ******* fire, everybody ducks.”

I could not possibly comment…

OK friends, after a HUGE amount of time and effort, I can now just throw a shade mixer from 0 to 1 and get the plane to go from this:

to this:

I am sooooooooo pleased with myself! I know - “little things amuse little minds”, but when you get to my age you will understand…

I have spent around 80 hours getting these decals to the state they are now, phew! Now I must get on with the panels, hatches, control surfaces, etc. etc.

Cheers, Clock.

EDIT

Here’s the underside:

That material looks great! I’m excited to see this model once you add panel lines and rivets, it’ll really take it up to the next level. Great work!

I have been getting down and dirty!

Just my first attempt at a “Dirt” Image texture mixed into materials, I have kept the metal/camo switch, which makes it a bit more complicated, but worthwhile.

Think I might have overdone it a bit, but they are 4 20mm Hispano cannons.

Cheers, Clock.

I think the air flow would make any discolouration more streaked than that. It doesn’t feel convincing. Are there any good reference shots available?

Can’t find any images anywhere, but I am going to redo it completely, now I have found out how it’s done.

I think I should draw it on paper first. Thanks for the comment, the more I look at it the worse it gets!

Cheers, Clock.

I think this is better now! I have also put a little on the underside of the wings and u/c doors.

Cheers, Clock.

Clock…I have a material/node tree I think you will like. Almost done setting it up. Will send soon.

Thank you Sir I shall await with interest.

Here’s something you may find useful. After mentioning wing sections in the Hurricane thread, I started wondering about the Canberra.

I found a handy list here: The Incomplete Guide to Airfoil Usage. It gives wing sections for hundreds of military and commercial planes. Unfortunately the exact section used by the Canberra is not given, since “12% symmetric” could have been any of several series.

English Electric Canberra
RAE/D 12% symm
RAE/D 9% symm

Looking at [=&m[maxCamber]=0&m[minCamber]=&m[maxThickness]=&m[minThickness]=&m[grp]=&m[sort]=5&m[page]=3&m[count]=135&MAirfoilSearchForm[textSearch]=rae&MAirfoilSearchForm[maxThickness]=&MAirfoilSearchForm[minThickness]=&MAirfoilSearchForm[maxCamber]=0&MAirfoilSearchForm[minCamber]=&MAirfoilSearchForm[grp]=&MAirfoilSearchForm[sort]=5&yt0=Search&MAirfoilSearchForm[textSearch]=rae&MAirfoilSearchForm[maxThickness]=12&MAirfoilSearchForm[minThickness]=9&MAirfoilSearchForm[maxCamber]=0&MAirfoilSearchForm[minCamber]=&MAirfoilSearchForm[grp]=&MAirfoilSearchForm[sort]=5&yt0=Search"]what is available in the way of data](http://airfoiltools.com/search/index?m[textSearch), I think the most likely candidate would be an RAE 103 scaled to 12% (gradually scaled to 9% past the nacelles). The reason I think this is the asymmetric RAE 2822, which has become a standard transonic case for studies, has maximum thickness at 38%, while the 102 is at 36% and the 103 is at 40% and the 104 is at 42%. In the absence of anything really definitive I’m inclined to pick the middle of the three. The earlier 100 and 101 don’t seem like good candidates since they are obviously older turbulent flow sections. They’d be better for delaying leading edge separation at high angles of attack, but crap for a fast bomber in level flight.

No details are given anywhere online about the tail, but it’s likely to be the same.

Clock, sent you and email with an Easter Egg :slight_smile:

Thanks Gumboots and Jeff.

I spoke with my mother last week and she can remember dad going for “lab tests”, which meant they were flying to Malta, loading up with tactical battlefield nukes and dropping them over “North Africa”, dad was never more precise than that and only told her this during the 70’s. Evidently the method of deploying these bombs was to enter a shallow dive at VD (Max dive velocity, not a sexually transmitted disease) level off and set speed at VNE (max velocity with one control surface at 100% travel, normally 95% of VD) pull up to 45 degrees and release the bomb, then complete a max-G half cuban roll, close all the flash blinds over the windows, pilot would put down his flash visor and, to quote what mum told me dad said; “Eff off like s**t off a shovel”. I think this means “return the way you came as fast as possible”! This probably explains why the G meter was directly in the pilot’s line of sight, see post from Witold earlier.

With this in mind the wing section giving the best laminar flow (the 104) would be preferable, but maybe not available for the B2 version, I just don’t know. I took the wing section from one of dad’s books on the canberra, it does not say which section is used. It would definitely be a transonic profile, as this fits the speed figures for the plane. Thanks for your investigative efforts, I really don’t know what more I can find out, Mum has found an album of photos dad took in Aden and has promised me these next time I visit. She is in a care home now and approaching 90, but can still remember everything about dad’s time in the RAF, dad passed away several years ago, so I can’t ask him.

Cheers, Clock.

Thanks for the easter egg, this is brilliant work, please publish to the wider World.

Cheers, Clock.

Goodness Gracious! Some swine has thrown s**t all over my plane! :frowning:

Cheers, Clock.

PS anyone know where I can find a very large car-wash?