BookGen | Addon for generating books

@Color.pixel
You can use a material like this to give each book a random color.

Can you please give details on the crashes? I would help me alot if you’d start blender from a terminal and use the addon until the crash occurs. Then send me the output in the terminal together with a short description of what you were doing when the crash occurred.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards OIiver

Thank you for the idea!
4 paint → I did manage to make it old fashion way, (poly by poly) and for the purpose (a website) I quite like it.

→ for errors: Yes, I will try to remember to run using a terminal → I will google the method.

For now, all I can say is this:
At the beginning of the Blender launch:

• I delete the cube, make an arc line, transform it into a mesh and make it a row on a shelf (in the image there is a column dividing the row in 2, so take just the half into consideration) - did this like 5-6 times from the begining;
    -Then I use the book generator - makes every time the books upside down even if I Apply Object Transformation to the ARC Shelf;
  • Then I tried pushing many Alignment options to see if they follow the arc shape of the shelf → not really
  • From this point on I did everything the old fashion way → put standard colors and made everything one by one until I finished the SQUARE then added 3 more and mirror the stuff on the other side → then build the rest.

I wish books could be random in **size all 3 axes, and type (hardcover with pocket-size)
I wish (and I would pay for that) for your random colors to become a reality: BUT: choose from a pallet of colors the random stuff → like in my case, a rainbow mood would not go with the PORTUGAL Azulejos theme → like on Microsoft Office themes
I wish (also we should pay for that) that the plugin had text on it divided in 2 areas (1 big area with big text + 1 very small area in the corner with double row small text) like most book.

Is easy to ask I guess, and I envy you for your talent of making this VERY, VERY useful tool.
On my next project, I will use the colouring method you told us.

Thank you for all!

classic addon

1 Like

Hi!

For me, when setting the random value for book height to 0, blender crashes, it can be set to 0.00001 for example with no problem, but 0 nukes blender.

Hi Botoni,

thanks for reporting. I can reproduce the problem. I created a ticket for it here: https://github.com/oweissbarth/bookGen/issues/13
I will fix it as soon as i find the time. Unfortunately i am currently very busy with my thesis. So it might take while. I’m sorry.

Have a nice day.

Oliver

I’m busy with my tesis too! :beers:

No problem, for now the workaround is use a very low value and the addon doesn’t crash

I just released bookGen 1.0!
The new version includes the following changes:

• Added option for different materials for cover and pages
  • Added ability to add stacks of books
  • Added support for multiple sets of settings
  • Bugfixes

The latest version can be downloaded at https://ow3d.de/bookGen
Here is a quick overview/tutorial:

8 Likes

Thank you very much!

Hey, i know it’s an old post, but i find this addon really usefull. I was wondering if you could do this with shelf “recognition”, i was trying to do a Geometry Node for it, but this addon does everything better. I wonder if you could make a way for the addon, to automatically populate shelf you click, with books.
Thx for the amazing addon

Hi @NightVision,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I have thought about this for a while. Unfortunately this is not as straight forward as it might seem at first glance. As always the devil is in the details.
I have a ticket for this topic here: https://github.com/oweissbarth/bookGen/issues/8
I might look into it if there is enough interest in the future.
I wish you a great weekend.
Oliver

I’ve just started trying making an addon using Serpens tho, so i’m not an expert on this, but there’s the possibility to add Verts, Edge and Face Variables, Selecting the 2 Edge you want the books to go from/to would be a way of doing it? Bmesh https://docs.blender.org/api/current/bmesh.types.html#custom-data-layer-access , i haven’t looked on how to use them, but i’m sure there’s a way to “tag” 2 edges to use as start and end. I’ll take a look when i’ll have Free Blender Time xD.
Have a good weekend u2 :slight_smile: