BookGen | Addon for generating books

Thanks for the message. I’m gonna fix that tomorrow.
I just want you to know that i’m still developing the Addon.
I was pretty busy this semester. But i can now announce that there are some cool things comming the that addon in the near future.

best wishes

Oliver

In English
back/front/thin part = Back cover, Front Cover, Binding.
Binding is sometimes also used for the material that covers the outside of a book, eg: a leather binding, a cloth binding, etc.

Thank you Oliver.

Hey there,

i fixed the ensure_lookup_table problem. The Addon is now working with 2.70+ including 2.73 #c79c48c.

I also fixed wrong uv-layouts for versions 2.72+.

You can get version 0.6 here : http://oweissbarth.de/download/889

Happy blending!

thank you, man, but in 2.73 version I have another problem.

Hi raitoringo,

what version of bookGen are you using?

best wishes

Oliver

Hello " http://oweissbarth.de/ " link does not work

Hi Kylith,

thank you for letting me know.

I’m doing some server moving. Hopefully it will working again soon.

with kind regards

oliver

==UPDATED==
It’s all working again!

thank you ^^

A Where can I find your addon Bookgen?

Hi Kylith,

you can find it here:

with kind regards

Oliver

I got a question, not sure if you still active on this addon. Is it possible to use you own books and then use your script to randomize there position?

Hi rombout,
I haven’t abandoned this project. I just have to find time to work on it.
Regarding your question: The books in this addon are generated procedurally. They are not loaded from a file. Therefore changing the book design is non trivial. Loading anon parameterized book from a file would also limit the randomization because bookgen doesn’t know what vertices represent the cover, the textblock and so on.

With kind regards

Oliver

okay thanks for the explanation, i just though perhaps it’s a good added feature.

Hello Oliver, do you plan to update this addon to 2.8? It would be much apreciated. Cheers

1 Like

Hi altfuns,
thank you for your interest in my addon.

I already started updating it. I will post here once i am done.

Regards

Oliver

2 Likes

Awesome news, thank you in advance

I have updated bookGen for Blender 2.8x!
The new version is now available here

This is not just a port! I rewrote large parts of it and added many new features. Here are the highlights:

• You can now create shelves by clicking on the start and end point in the 3D-Viewport
  • I implemented book leaning
  • The book model has been simplified
  • The uv layout is now parametric and no longer uses the unwrap operator. This makes the layout a lot more predictable
  • A selected material can be applied to all books

If you have any issues or suggestions feel free to post them here or on the issue tracker at github.com/oweissbarth/bookgen

6 Likes

Thank you for updating this very useful add-on.

1 Like

There were some issues with bookGen under OSX. Those are now fixed. The latest version can be downloaded at ow3d.de/bookGen

1 Like

Is there a way to add different colours to each book but on a random fashion (like on the 3D viewer)?
I am running Mac OS and it crashes a lot while playing around with the plugin.