BMW E30 M-Tech II

Head lights look really good

Final subtle touches on the glass has been made, now I just need a good plastic material. Can anyone point me in a direction here?

Harley:
I’m not sure I can tell you a good way to do a light like this one, but i sure can tell you a way that I wont do again :wink:
I started out by forming the main shape of the glass, using a circle as my starting point. I also did the insert at the bottom, and the used proportional editing to curve the the glass. And the last part was the big mistake, I should have waited with making the glass curved until the details where made. But I continued on and modeled the details with array and mirror modifiers on. I applied the array and made the individual details fit the glass. Then I sub divided the details, and made my second big mistake: Use Shrinkwrap to make the details fit the curvature of the main glass. The shrinkwrap flattened out all my details and pushed some of the geometry around quite a bit. So I manually had to make it all fit again. So I spent way too much time recreating what the shrinkwrap had destroyed, but was to stubborn to quit and restart :smiley:
But I’m going to way curving the main glass until all details have been made with the second part of the headlights, thats for sure :slight_smile:
I hope that answer your question, otherwise please ask.

Tyrant monkey: Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

I love learning from others peoples painful experiences… lesson to Harley…stay away from that friggen shrinkwrap until you know what your really doing :slight_smile:

So if I understand you correctly… you started with a circular plane. You then added additional geometry using arrays to form the embossed vertical lines, that grid looking thing, and the logo. Were each of these elements different objects. Were they joined or parented to the plane at some point?

Yes you got it all right, and yes the details where different objects. I havent joined them yet, but I will at some point just to keep my outliner clean.

I learned a lot myself about both modeling a headlight and the shrinkwrap modifier, and I have made the second light since my last post to the speed has improved a lot with what I’ve learned from the first one :slight_smile:

For my first set of headlights, I’m satisfied with the result.

Moving on…

The headlights look impressive!

To keep the outliner clean parenting will do the job also. There’s no need to join them. If you want to hide all the parented objects and the parent together you can hold CRTL while you click on the eye in the outliner. Same works for rendering, of course. In big scenes I use empties just for parenting to keep my outliner clean.

Today’s progress:

It took me almost 8 hours to do the rims and tires! Cant believe how hard it is to keep a damn circle round, when adding details. Thank god “To sphere” is in Blender! Even though it took so long, I think it came out ok, and since it’s the first time ever that I’ve made these kind of objects, I’m ok with it going slow.
Please let me know what you think.

Minoribus: Thanks a lot :slight_smile: And yes you are right about parenting, I will use that instead.

Small update again, please let me know what you think:

I really need to get that helmet alignment fixed!
Pretty happy with the side markers though, it took some experimenting to get the smoked effect, but i think it turned out ok. Best thing about them is that they are really low polly.
Only two more set of lights to do now, but my weekend is over now and I have 33 hours of work over the next 3 days, so there wont be that much time for Blender.

Have a great weekend all :slight_smile:

Nice modelling. I don’t see anything to critique.

Thanks, I guess thats at good sign then :slight_smile:

You did an amazing work with the headlights! Way better than anything I’ve done, lol. I wish I had the reference tho. I tend to obsess with rare cars, and it happens that there are not too many references even on the internet… But yeah, this is awesome. You also did a terrific job with the tire and the rim, specially with the tire… although I personally love the rims you had in the picture more than the ones you modelled, but it’s just personal preference.

Thanks a bunch! Thats really motivating to hear from such a car-modeling-veteran like you :slight_smile: The reason I choose to model these rims (Alpina 17"), is actually because I want to see how it looks on “my” car. I have sold the rims in the picture shown here, because I did not like the yellow/gold center of them. I might get some just like them again if the Alpinas dont look good, but without the golden color.

Here is a couple of shots of the car:

Your E30 tho…

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/344513261577360027/47d9c92134daba9635fd92e639edbbac.jpeg

Yeah a E30 Mtech II been my (realistic) dream car for years, and I’m very happy that I finally have one :smiley:

Ok, back to what this is really about. Made the fog lights, but I might adjust the glass material a bit more as i think its a bit too clear.
Now there only the biggest light challenge of them all left: The rear lights! I’m really excited to get started with those.

Lights in the front done:

Inmediately following this thread… one can tell right now that this is going to be an exeptional thread of an exeptional model…
Would love if you post wireframes when you post pictures…

Yep same here, very good so far, but I would really like a wireframe shot. Especially for the car body.

Keep up the good work !

Thanks a lot to both of you :slight_smile:
I’ll try and make some wire shots, so you all can laugh at my crappy topology :stuck_out_tongue:

amazing job! could you share the wire of your details at some point? absolutely love this <3

I havent made the wires yet, but I will soon. Before the weekend is over, I promise :slight_smile: Meanwhile I want you guys to prepare to see some, how should I put it, “different” typology than I think is normal.
Also if you want closeup if any specific places of the wire or in clay mode, please let me know.
And thanks for the complement psychoboy852, it’s really motivating for me to hear that other people like it :slight_smile:

And now my attempt on the rear lights. I think the bump is too strong on the first one, and to weak on the second, so I need to find something in between.