blendroid - Sketchbook

Just finished designing and modeling this for 3D printing, to be a prop in a film. The idea was to blend first generation Star Trek phasers with modern-day weapon design (based mostly on Walther handguns).

It’s modeled in 1:1 scale, so the attachment rail should work with real attachments. The cover on the protruding area is also removable, but it’s nothing impressive to render.

Sometime later I might turn out a low-poly version and try texturing it in Substance. For now, though, it’s on to the next project.

Love this one, and great to see another Substance user around here :slight_smile: The design is great, it really feels different to all the other gun models out there, I think especially because of the grip placement. By the way, how did you get these rubber details on it? Are they all handmodeled? I’m curious about how the print turns out. Will the trigger be moveable?
I like all your other works, too. Good textures give so much live to simple things such as telephones.

Thanks for the enthusiasm, suboptimal. :slight_smile:

The whole phaser was hand-modeled, but since it’s meant for print, not all of the topology is any good. Some of it was subdivision modeled and some low-poly, and then it was sloppily boolean’d together at the end. I am proud of the grip and most of the lower bit though (the “frame”, I guess, on a real pistol). The topology is actually very clean there, and I learned a lot from forcing myself to do it properly.

There will be no moving parts on the print, except that one angled piece on the top which is meant to slide out. This project really got me interested in modeling for authentic functionality, but we figured it would be time poorly spent, since it wouldn’t show through in the actual film. When time permits, though, I really would like to take apart some toy laser guns and study their construction for future 3D printing projects. :slight_smile:

In the meantime, here’s what I came here to post. :smiley:

My first finished and usable substance file:

From my blurb on the Steam Community:

Finally managed to finish my 100% procedural hardwood texture. It’s mostly meant as a texture generator, so I wasn’t too worried about making it efficient. When modifying the base settings, it takes about one second to recompile, but I have a pretty beastly computer, so…

It really has to be seen in motion to be appreciated; might make a video demonstrating it in the near future (mostly to ask for advice on what could be done better).

The HDRI is my own, taken at a Korean train station. :slight_smile:

Decided to reattack this shape as a bit of more hard-surface practice. Almost forgot I have to go to work in six hours. Finished just in time for bed, though. Now that’s a rare occasion.

Some more hard-surface practice, from the last couple afternoons.

Decided the Cartoon Hangover logo would be a fun 3D printing test project.

I only wish I’d mailed my Wacom to myself instead of leaving it with the movers, and that I had started this earlier. 2 AM is not a fun time to be left-click sculpting.

Good stuff man! i enjoy your hardsurface stuff. Can i see a wire of that card reader looking thing?

Glad to hear it. :slight_smile:

Here’s the best I could do for a wireframe. Keep in mind, my goal was to model it as one solid piece, as it is in the real world, and to keep the mesh as free of stretching or other imperfections as I could. Not because it’s more useful that way, but just to be sure that I could do it.

There are still a couple problem areas along the slot’s sharper edges, but it’s so unnoticeable they’re not worth fretting over. For the most part, all of the edges are as perfectly aligned and clean as I could have imagined getting them.

Great Phone texturing :slight_smile:
and i like the character as well, the folds especially

That pikachu is cool. I also really like your Slenderman! Are you going to do anything more with him? Maybe retopo, rig, and animate a creepy video inserting him into live footage!

Your hard surface models look great. I don’t know why, but I really like the pipe valve, and the cone base thing.

I definitely have plans for Slender Man. I actually was >>this close<< to jumping into retopo/texturing yesterday, but I had to force myself not to. I’m trying to keep my focus on continuing to learn hard-surface and 3D printing for now.

Edit: When I finish the set of hard-surface models I’ve planned, they will need retopo/texturing as well, so then will probably be when I allow myself to continue on Slender.

Stayed up a bit late for it, but now I can call this one finished. I should be able to whip up the standing version in only a few minutes, after work tomorrow. Would be nice to get two models done in one sitting again.

The drain of the pan was too much of a pain to model outright, so it’ll just be added in the normal baking stage later.

The solidify modifier is really useful, by the way. It’s becoming one of my favorite tools. That, and the (I)nset hotkey. And the cutting tool (K), for making a bunch of loop cuts at once in certain situations.

Not quite finished, but here’s where I head off to bed.

Edit: I guess I forgot to mirror the bolt caps on the handle.

very proper modeling. i like. :slight_smile:

Busy day today. Looks like it might be a busy month, too, but I did get some preliminary work done on this ATM.

Just finished the standing variant.

Close enough for now. If I model the cash dispenser I have in mind, it’ll probably be 3 AM before I finish.

The proportions and details aren’t meant to match the photo exactly, as there are around 3 or 4 variants of this ATM which I have photos of.

Finished the hi-res for the ATM.

Now you are ready for some ATM scams, you have build exact copy of the ATM mashine and also ATM card holder, you have a 3d printer what else you need some electronics and you good to go man! Nice job!:smiley:
Just kidding ,great hard surface modeling! keep it up

While searching for references of the bank card slot, at least 30% of the results were photos from Russian (I think) forums discussing and selling false card readers and whatnot. Was kinda hilarious.