Blender to Backburner (free autodesk network renderer)

I test it on 2.83 and its work fine.

By default add-on takes the blender`s path that submit the job. All render blades has to install blender the same path. but there is an option ‘Use Custom Blender’, that makes you able to chose a custom path.

I had to make a new tutorial video for new version.

I think my issue is my blender is a portable zip install so it’s not in the default install directory.
I didn’t see ‘Use Custom Blender’ option. Is that somewhere in the code or inside blender that we can change in the output tab?

Btw where’s the video tutorial?

I got it working and I’m using blender launcher also. But was getting issues at first.
The big thing is every path has to be exactly the same. So I moved my blender locations to be C:\BlenderInstalls
Then I just need to be sure each computer has the same version of blender or that node errors out.
And of course, there’s no file collection here. So they all need to use shared paths. With 3dsMax you can submit and collect all the files in one step. That works with maps And Xref (linked, in blender) files.

But that is a Heck of a lot easier than setting up something like was deadline. I work out of onedrive usually since I work from home often enough, but then will have path issues if I share the project. So I just have to be sure and use relative paths, then move the project over to our server when I want to render.

An alternative that works is if you Do want to use OneDrive, then you can map your own folder on your drive. Then share that with the other computers. Those will map the location as the same drive. This way, even though the physical locations are different, the paths are all the same So long as you open your files using the drive letter and not UNC paths. That’s one case where UNC paths will cause some failures.

Hopefully that helps some people. It doesn’t really matter if you use portable versions, or installed versions of blender. But the paths have to all be identical or it fails.

1 Like

Did you use nevilart’s script or the OPs?
What’s the exact folder name of the blender install in Drive C: so that the script can see blender.exe?

Hi @nevilart

This standalone backburner.py doesn’t work for me in 3.0. I’ve used it with no problems in 2.93 before and managed to have it in 3.0 by migrating my 2.93 settings but when I submitted a job with it using 3.0 I got a “cmdjob adapter: process exit abnormally, exit code 1”

I then tried to remove the backburner.py and install fresh from the Github link and it doesn’t appear in the list. I then tried to install the full bsmax and then the backburner works fine in 3.0 but I would like to have the backburner.py alone if possible. I’d appreciate any troubleshooting help.

Thank you.

Hi

I will check the issue. and fix it soon as possible.

1 Like

I’m using blender launcher for installs. I changed the folder to C:BlenderInstalls on all the machines, but if you download what seems to be the same version on two different machines then sometimes the build may be slightly different, so you just have to manually change the folder names to match.
Mine currently is: C:\BlenderInstalls\stable\blender-2.93.6+lts.c842a90e2fa1\blender.exe

So long as those all match, it works.

Hi Nevil,

I tried the backburner.py on its own in a default blender 3.1 and it doesn’t show up in the addons list after installation. I will try the workaround I used previously by installing the complete bsmax addon first. Any chance you can help me install backburner.py on its own?

hi. which OS do you are using? I just tested on windows 10 and its work for blender 3.0 and 3.1. Is there in console an error appear when you install the ‘Backburner.py’?

Windows 10, 64x

Sorry for late reply.

I test the ‘Backburner.py’ its works and you most be able to find it under ‘Render’ add-ons list.

Backburner

1 Like

Hi,

Im using perforce (p4) system for our project, so the generate random number on the file is quite annoying on this situation, so i removed the code, incase any other need it, just edit this part.

def create_new_file_name(file_name):
random_id = random.randint(1000000, 9999999)
append_text = ‘BACKBURNERTEMPFILE’ + str(random_id)
return os.path.splitext(file_name)[0] + append_text + ‘.blend’

------- delete the random id and append_text ---------

def create_new_file_name(file_name):
return os.path.splitext(file_name)[0] + ‘.blend’

now i have another question.
due to p4 will lock the file, and this add-on require to save file before submit.
how i can i remove it? i don’t need auto save before submit.
anyone can help?

Does anyone has problems with 4.0. It just stoped working after updating to 4.0.

It’s working in 4.0 for me.

I’m using the addon downloaded directly from Github: