Blender to Backburner (free autodesk network renderer)

Hi Joel_nl,

I make some changes to have preference to Backburner path in this add-on and not in panel.
Then if someone want to add others prefs, it’s easier to add at the following lines…
LINK Version 1,20 if you want, as proposition…

Blender path is automatic with your used release.
It must work with all win, mac and linux but tested just on window 7 64b now.

Hello,

is there any chance to have this really valueable add-on working in 2.80?

Flamenco is still a pain to use, but this script worked so well over the last years for us.

I created this addon for our company’s internal GPU renderfarm. we’re currently (trying) to use Flamenco.
I dont have concrete plans to update it, but given that we also have issue’s with Flamenco i might have to.

Ofcourse anyone feeling up to the task is free to update the script.

3 Likes

Hey guys,

Is there like a updated version for 2.80…

Hi Dear Joel_nl

Thank you and all people that made this great tool.
I Update the “Backburner” tool for Blender 2.8x & 2.9x, and did some changes such as adding custom frames like ‘1,3,5-7’ form too. Every 3DsMax user come to blender will miss those stuff.
I added your amazing tool inside my BsMax add-on. if you need it some day is there for free. :wink:

I know its to late but, Yeah I update it for Blender 2.8x & 2.9x. Link is in the previews comment. Enjoy it :blush:

Hi Nevilart,

Thank you for updating the script!
Does it still work without the rest of your addon? I’ve seen quite a few people struggling with Flamenco, a simple but powerfull tool like backburner can help allot of people.

If it does, can you post a link to the ‘standalone’ version?

Thanks again
-joel

Yeah it can be stand alone too. I only used a simple class from the add-on library inside the Backburner, it is possible to merge that in to a single file. I keep all the tools in a single add-on for saving time for me (updating) and the users (installing). but I can do some changes that makes you able to install it separately as an add-on. I will send you the link when it done.

That would be awesome. Thank you!

1 Like

Ok, Done
you can download the only the “backburner.py” file from here and install it as stand alone add-on.

1 Like

Hey guys! Thank you so much for providing this. I still cannot believe there isn’t a proper render farm manager for blender. Everyone seems to be going with the cloud these days.

For us it has been a bit hit and miss using backburner.

We are 3 guys working together on projects, remotely, and setup a virtual network using ZeroTier.

If I setup the manager on my PC, all 3 PC can get jobs, and render jobs submitted by me. But only 1 other artist can submit jobs, the other one can connect to the manager using monitor, but when trying to submit from blender gets the error “Render manager not found”.

I tried today setting up the manager on a separate machine, and I have the same issue, I can connect to it using Server and Monitor, but if I try to submit a job from my machine, I get a “Render manager not found error”

I tried disabling TCP/IP6, tried disabling the firewall, tried saving the files on a shared physical network folder, nothing seems to fix it.

Anyone else faced this?

Hi!
I tried installing the backburner.py file and get a message that it installed correctly. except it doesnt appear in my addon list or appear in the render settings.

Does it still work with the latest official release?

yeah it works.

you can find it under Output tab or Render menu.

Plopping this here to find it again.
The choices truly are abysmal for Blender-based network rendering.

Coming back after countless problems with backburner.

I wholeheartedly recommend AWS Thinkbox Deadline.

It’s free for up to 10 render nodes, super easy to set up, and works great! I’ve even been able to set it up with a VPN network, to render with the help of some friends over the internet.

It even has the option to connect cloud render nodes to your setup, but I haven’t had time yet to test that feature.

I added the script and can see backburner in output but when I press Submit to Backburner nothing happens. Backburner manager not found. Failed to submission.

My install is at
C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Backburner

Also do we need to define where blender.exe is again in the script?

Not sure whats wrong, the latest version ran out of the box for us.
Also, you shouldnt have to define the blender.exe location

I tried the backburner.py from nevilart. That one didn’t seem to do anything when I submit.
Backburner manager not found. Failed to submission.

Is the first post with the python code still working with 2.8-2.9? My blender is a zip folder in drive D.
Your script worked in 2.79 but since 2.8 it didn’t work anymore.

Back burner add-on works on 2.9.x and 3.x but recently I did not check it on 2.8.x series. perhaps some changes on recent updates caused that. I`ll check it on 2.83 and fix the issue soon as possible.

Sorry I forgot to mention I tested it with 2.8 up to 2.93 and they all have the same error message.
Also can we define where blender.exe is located with your script?