Blender Game Making Contest 16 - theme, prizes,rules and dates discussion

The majority of my games run at 30~FPS, and it’s not because they’re unoptimized. I pay special attention at optimizing.
I bought this laptop a long time ago, for very cheap. Needless to say, it’s not the best - and buying a new one isn’t a priority at the moment.

another thing I forgot to mention was with the newer versions, the game lags on occasions (for no reason) dropping the framerate for maybe half a second. To be fair, I haven’t had it happen in a while. I also don’t remember which version it happened in

though have you any examples?

I can’t seem to replicate this, OR the occasional frame rate drop… I remember making a thread about it, using the same file I’m trying now. Maybe I found a fix for it and forgot about it? Hmm

The ALT + Click is very useful, though.
Again, I knew about it at some point but eventually forgot.

Not the same file I was talking about, but here’s the best example I could come up with, with the framerate low enough, the “aim down sights” animation doesn’t play entirely

I don’t think battery has edited the original post, but another copy of the BGE PK package will be available as a prize to the winner of BGMC 16.

Hey blenderjunkie, I’m not the guy who get’s emails but just wanted to chime in. The age restriction is not likely to change, primarily because the amounts of cash awarded for prizes are taxable, and only someone of legal age can accept them as a result (I believe). Consider that a parent/guardian or older team member can enter you into most contests, though the prize would be awarded to them.

It looks a bit wired that some guys are talking about a different competition in this thread. I suggest to open a different thread on that topic.

Here you should focus on “Blender Game Making Contest 16 - theme, prizes,rules and dates discussion”.

My opinion:
Restricting the Blender version counters the idea of the contest. The contest is about finishing a game with the BGE.
It should not matter if the game runs with 2.37, 2.49, 2.57 or 2.95 (ok, the last one would matter). The goal is to get a playable blender game. There can be a recommendation but no restriction.

A more useful restriction is that the supported blender version should be noted in the game’s documentation. In doubt the developer can provide a link the download page ;).

The problem with no restriction, is for people judging the game. Most of us will download a full package of the games to play through them and rank them afterwards.
Not using the same blender version that the game was created in results in lots of weird bugs and glitches, that will in most cases break blender/the game. This ranges from simple graphical or animation glitches to Blender crashing once you press P.
(A word of warning, opening and saving a 2.74 .blend in 2.70 or less will break the .blend and make blender crash).

However if some of the contestants such as Randompickle have performance/usability problems with the current blender version, I would be happy to revert to an earlier version.

While I support allowing for the choice of blender version, I think just for the sake of the players/users, the blender version is something we should keep constant.

Again as monster said, this here ^ is my opinion

(A word of warning, opening and saving a 2.74 .blend in 2.70 or less will break the .blend and make blender crash).

The same thing will happen in Unity. I just updated Unity and tried to open an old project, it crashed the importer.

Not using the same blender version that the game was created in results in lots of weird bugs and glitches,

Even if you save the game as standalone?

In stalndalone you don’t use blender to open, but the .exe built-in blenderplayer instead so it will always run like on Blender on which it is made.

A bit modified quoting, but overall compiling:

Seriously?

Erhrmm… kungfumassa, they did change it. I just need my parents confirmation. So… I’m entering. I change peoples minds purty well.

By the way, what are the rules of that contest aswell as time limit exactly? Oh, found them- May 13 too soon, maybe competate next time. Could you ask them to add Latvia to the list next year?

In stalndalone you don’t use blender to open, but the .exe built-in blenderplayer instead so it will always run like on Blender on which it is made.

Exactly. So it shouldn’t matter what version people use. You can’t open older unity projects in the newer versions but it doesn’t stop people from making games.
Not that it matters.
Just my .02. :slight_smile:

The thing is, we don’t use the .exe for BGMCs… at least not after my first time entering. (maybe in the past?)

Contrary to what I’ve been saying for the past few days, if people want to stick to a specific versions of Blender (2.74 in this case) then I’m fine with that. Even downloaded it last night. I couldn’t resist the kitty on the splash screen

my game did not work for most people during one of these bgmc,
metriod 64…

I later saw people post video of it , and it was not playing correctly,

people already voted, and never tried to tell me the game was not working.

it kinda sours the whole comp for you…

rigid body joints were broken, so my actor fell apart… 2.72 or 2.73?

why cant we all use 2.74 ? it’s stable and feature rich…?

The stand alone .exe works great for other users of the same operating system but not everyone has the same OS.
I hear 2.75 Will be coming soon, it’s got some pretty great features, though I’m sure it’ll have some new bugs too. Don’t know if it’ll be around in time for the competition though.

Just to make sure, everyone knows there are two competitions being talked about here right? BGMC and some Intel one… better to make a new thread about the other competition or people are going to get annoyed if their game doesnt end up in steam.

I can run Windows standalone .exe on my Linux using Wine. Also Mac OSX users can use Wine to run Windows applications. Maybe this fact helps? Of course, I can’t run Windows standalone builds made with the publishing add-on which uses launcher, seperate .blend and seperate blenderplayer…

@BPR: Your game was the reason I ended up downloading 2.72. Was a lot of fun!

Concerning Blender, I don’t really mind what version is used anymore, I’m on board for 2.74.
I would much rather use blends, though. Looking through it to see how the game was made is pretty neat, and has taught me a few thing!

Yes, this is part of the whole point of BGMC I’ve learned a lot from previous winners.

@BPR: Your game was the reason I ended up downloading 2.72. Was a lot of fun! - Thanks!

Blender version
Ideally your game should run on the latest version, but this is not a requirement. If the game needs a different version it must be clearly marked as such.

[SUB]This has been established in previous BGMCs and with the BGE in general. Blender is not overly huge, so it’s a mildly reasonable assumption.[/SUB]

Standalones
Blends must be uploaded. If you want to upload a standalone version for non-blender users, it must be available as a separate download.

[SUB]Standalones have lots of overhead which really hurts when making the all-games pack. They also add an extra step when checking for malicious code.[/SUB]

'Course, this is all subject to change depending on the whims of whoever is running the contest (currently battery)

In BLENDER communities? Are you serious? I couldn’t imagine that Blender users could do something like that!!!:open_mouth: Do people really have lost their mind?

Any standard anti-virus will check any download file, this means it will cycle through all the files in the export which like pqftgs, means more steps are needed to scan it, when compared to just one .blend file.