Blender Game Making Contest 16 - theme, prizes,rules and dates discussion

I don’t really enjoy any system where people vote stratigically to try and win,

So I just vote that we each choose 1, and explain why…

what game is best and why…

I believe you can use any outside resource like that, as long as it’s freely available, and you provide your sources along with your game – other people should be able to find/use everything you’re finding/using.
For example, premium textures from CGtextures (which you have to pay for access to) should be off limits, but not the ones which are available with a free account (which are mostly just less-high-res versions of the premium images anyway).

I second this. Everything he said.
Voting shouldn’t be a game (not to make it sound so serious, but…)

The idea of everybody using the same blender version sounds like a good idea, but the debate over which version to use could go on forever.
The last BGMC had no version restriction, and it worked out okay.
(Personally, 2.74 works wonderfully for my uses, so I have no qualms against restricting us to that)

(Perhaps a future theme could be the Time Machine: Restrict the entries to using the oldest version of Blender available…)

Lately I’ve only used the latest version (2.74), because I am suerpreso with the stability of the same.
But I understand that not everyone can usufuír it because available recuros are different for cad one.
I see no problem in using any versions of Blender!
And I look forward to start my project: I love stealth. :smiley:

I use 2.74 and have not had 1 crash or but, except some with steering that have been around a while.

blender 2.74 would be my preference as it contains the most features and is the most stable.

I also use 2.74, no problems for me, but yout last idea:
The problem is so the latest version of Blender is only for Windows and won’t run on linux & mac…

I still use 2.67, and with good reason.

Made this video real quick, to show what I mean.
For some reason, it’s infinity billion times harder to select an object with the newer versions than with the old.
No matter what, it highlights every object in the scene other than the one I want. It’s like Blender is trolling me.

This reason alone is why I still use the older versions, you have no idea how frustrating it is to try and select something in a fully-loaded scene. If you click anywhere else, anywhere other than the desired object’s origin, it’s game the f*** over. You lose.

That, and the fact that Blender cuts animations short when the framerate is low enough. What stupidness.
Can’t stand the newer versions

I have seen the issue your talking about, and it sucks, put a bug in the tracker !

Don’t just let them fester, the faster between versions we find the $hit the faster we can kill it (they know what changed recently with select?)

about animations loosing frames when the frame rate is low, this is from threading, and should have a nice work around using dropped frames and interpolation? again Report it if it’s bugging you (I always ensure 60 fps in wrectified)

What is threading? Can anyone explain me? All I know about threads it is something like sub sections of CPU(my CPU has 4 threads and 4 cores, some others has the same core ocunt(4), but 8 threads)!

Well, last time there was talk of bundling all the games together with a single menu screen. You could select the game you want to play from the menu and blender would load it up from the blend file, rather than keeping all the games in separate folders and having to switch blender versions to play them. That would only work if everyone is using the same version of Blender…

In BGMC15 I was able to open all games with Blender 2.72b which is set to default in my computer for some unknown reason! All runned fine! Yeah and I wanna use Blender 2.74, most of people should havei t. By the way, as hearing some speaking of use of 2.71, I don’t have it in my computer, I have 2.70, 2.72b, 2.73a and 2.74:D

Hey BluePrintRandom! Just a quick heads up – I work with Intel promoting the Level Up 2015 contest and wanted to let you know that the deadline is May 13 and not May 14.

Happy to answer any questions from the community!

About that Intel thingy:
Yeah, I must be happy that BGMC hasn’t got age limitations:D

Yea I sent Intel an email about that age restriction thingy. Hopefully they change their minds. Or maybe they’ll just send me an automated reply… stupid age restrictions.

If here would be a like button…:smiley:

IKR? I don’t really understand why they can’t let young GD’s get their big break!

people under 18 can’t enter into a binding agreement in most countries.

In latvia they can, for example, they can have a work with similar contract setup as adults, but they have security restrictions aswell as limit of work hours(4 h per day)… It is something that is a binding agreement, I think…

Hold ALT when you right-click. If there is any ambiguity over the selection, it will pop-up a list of possible objects to select.

Concerning framerate, you shouldn’t be running games with such low framerates if that is the case, though have you any examples?