Blender conference cool videos

Ive just watchedBarteks presentation on manipulating texture co-ordinates. What an eye opener! Im so glad I read this thread just for that. Im still scratching my head how to create the rotation node group though ! I was really frustrated with the mapping nodes “limitations” before but a new world has opened up. Thanks guys.

I didn’t hear it, but groan or not, the question was asked and therefore “Blender users” are worried about it. I honestly groan each time Autodesk is brought up as a subject, but that didn’t prevent Ton addressing the issue. Perhaps, at some distant point in the future, we’ll all be able to accept that not everything we dismiss as irrelevant is irrelevant for all Blender users. :wink:

It wasn’t a dismissive groan. It was a “this real life discussion is about to turn into a damn BlenderArtists thread” groan.

Doesn’t negate what I said a whit. :wink:

I thought the question well timed/placed & informative. As others have pointed out, Campbell did not come across as buying Ton’s explanation &, from this Aussie’s perspective, it appeared as if they’d had the same ‘debate’ before. Pablo is also quite enamored of the functionality Campbell’s code has given him. For good or ill, the AMA & patch show a clear divide between Ton’s view and those of people developing & using the feature.

It’s not the most important thing to take away from the Blender conference videos by any means, but it is amongst the top ten ones that grabbed my attention. Both because it was brought up by a “Blender User” at the conference and because it didn’t actually reveal anything new (i.e. the same debate in June here is still going on in BF) :slight_smile:

FWIW, the Lego game video (Burrows?) one grabbed my attention the best.

Ton’s view was that colour wireframes are OK but he’s got concerns about how the colours are going to work across different themes. Readability is a fair concern to have. That Ton’s prepared to argue about it at least means he’s engaged and coloured wires could yet end up as more Gooseberry tech now that Pablo’s got his hands on it. We’ll see.

I’m well aware of what his stated concerns are. They haven’t changed nor have the arguments against them preventing adoption of the features (as Campbell’s comments in the AMA demonstrated). That was (part of) my point. I still think it was a good thing to ask in the AMA.

Well, we’ll have to agree to disagree on what being prepared to argue about a subject indicates. shrug

Pablo seems quite taken by the feature from all public indications and Campbell’s comments to Ton before he pulled the disagreement back from the public indicate a strong argument internal to BF for it’s adoption/inclusion in main/trunk. Whether that’s enough is another matter. As you said, we shall see.

Don’t do it anymore. I did’t show it in details, but if you are interested - here it goes. I attach blend file with some node groups - three of them being rotation groups.

Attachments

rotate_vectors_cycles.blend (1.14 MB)

Readability is a fair concern to have

You mean readability like having grey text at grey background in an all grey in grey UI? Funny that Ton does not worry about that kind of readability. I am definitely concerned about that kind of stuff.

And i find it quite sad that a moderator puts out the pitchfork to stop the negative comments again. The negative comments and the discussions are there for good reason. Maybe you should think about that reasons instead of trying to make the critics quiet again. Happy bunnies usually doesn’t moan.

Even sader is the statement from Ton about the forum trolls. Which basically means everybody who doesn’t cheer towards Ton and Blender. Now we critics are not only noise, but also trolls … . That one is my “favourite” statement from the Blender conference this year. A negative highlight.

Ton is so far away from the ground nowadays. That’s really sad.

Thanks a lot Bartek, that’s some great learning material !

Most of it is simply offtopic, that’s why they should get moderated. You know, in a high enough number of people there will always be happy bunnies and less happy ones. Here is a thread for happy bunnies who would like to have a friendly chat about cool conference videos. Some of those bunnies (me included) are tired about the thread highjacks of the less happy bunnies who are yet again turning a thread into endless back and forth arguing about something else (like colored wireframes). Please make your own threads for those discussions, I promise I won’t come and derail it by tossing around my happy bunny fluffies. :slight_smile:

So beautiful said , pity I cant thump up this to kingdom come.

offtopic

I posted this before but Maybe it worth restating it was I (the OP), not the moderator, asking for the thread to be closed. I had asked for it to be closed because it looked like it was going the direction of yet another UI flame and micro analysis of every syllable that Ton uttered.

If you read the posts right after I asked for the thread to be closed, several users said the were finding the thread useful and the moderator only stepped in to say that he would ignore my closure request and keep it open if it remind on topic which it sort of has.

But like Stan says, “Yeah, and You know, I think I learnt something today…”:evilgrin: Next time I will explicitly ask for just technical talks. F*ck I am tired of UI, colored wire frames etc debates nothing but black-holes that suck all the positive energy right out of you(edit- yeah I’m a happy bunny).

Ontopic

@bartek You gave a nice presentation it was one hour well spent for me. My understanding of texture co-ordinates is a bit shaky but you broke it down beautifully and expanded my understanding of them. Thanks for the blend file. I hope someone adds your explanation of generated and object co-ordinates to the wiki because what is there is seriously lacking.

thank you. I actually surprised myself - I was so interested in your presentation that I looked up rotational transformations on wikipedia and managed to create rotational node groups myself - and they worked! Im fascinated now to see if Ive done it exactly the way you did. Many thanks for a really interesting presentation on the video and for taking the trouble to respond to me and providing the Blend file.