Blender Conference 2015

Anyone who watched it live mind to share something? (2.8 project by Ton i mean) Does it go into details and reveal something new to the community? Would be disappointing to wait for it so badly and then realize it’s just the code.blender blog post remixed with slide and talking over :confused:

That’s what it was, basically. He didn’t gave any detailed information because there’s nothing more but the plans so far. I managed to see almost all of it (refreshing the page constantly), and he confirmed that interoperability and ui fixes are going to be a focus for 2.8, as well as the usual suspects many have been talking about lately (alembic, opensubdiv, viewport performance, UI improvements).

He stated that for this to work each module team will have complete autonomy to break compatibility with older versions if it’s required. He talked about the particle system as an example of that, there won’t be a good particle system if the devs have to work on top of what’s already there, so it would have to be written for scratch, especially if it’s meant to be nodal.

I am going to speculate that it will be up later this week… due to someone having to manually upload hour long VODs to youtube

Two things:

• I called it a conspiracy theory. When someone calls an explanation for something a “conspiracy theory” over here, it means they don’t think it is credible and/or lacks any real evidence. Which is why I labelled it as such.
  • Where you are from, do you think the only reason to desire attendance at an event is to rip people off? I don’t. If you also don’t, I fail to see why you equate “ripping people off by selling them tickets to event” with “selling people tickets because you want to good attendance at event”.

Feeling protectionist (I assume that is what you meant) is perfectly natural & reasonable. Rewriting what people post so you can accuse them of saying something they did not is not. No matter how you spin it, no-one said that the Blender Foundation is ripping people off selling them tickets to the conference. Not even AD, who is known for his excessive hyperbole.

Permit me to be a bit pedantic here, but given you quoted my post, can you perhaps point out how that at all addresses what I said? Whether the Blender Foundation chose to be the same as most conferences you’ve attended or strike out on their own - they are still responsible for those choices.

For crying out loud, I’m simply pointing out a principle I taught my kids before the age of five, everyone is responsible for the choices they make. One can argue they made the best choice available (as Julian did above by pointing out the balance between ticket costs and staff on hand), but the responsibility for making that choice still lies with those making it. I don’t see why people are so up in arms about something so basic simply because it gets applied to the Blender Foundation! :ba:

Upset? I’m not upset about the stream failing. Whilst hoping otherwise, I somewhat expected it.

I am a little upset that someone cannot point out the obvious without a pile-on from all & sundry because “the obvious” was applied to the Blender Foundation. Do your really believe that if I had said Sorry, but whether or not it is PC to point it out, AutoDesk must share some of the blame for the choices they make”, Julian or yourself would have had anything like the same reaction?

It’s a mistake to make assumptions like this… as you’ve pointed out.

If they were hosting a small event at a small venue, yes. Because, like I said (and please don’t pretend that you don’t understand why I said it… you’re smarter than that), I expect bad network at conferences, as most people do. Therefore, the question of whom to blame for the expected never comes into question. That’d be like asking who to blame for the fact that the sun comes up in the morning.

You are correct, Fweeb. That was not a correct statement on my part and so I apologise for the mistake & any offence it may have caused. A more correct statement would be: “I don’t see why people are so up in arms about something so basic simply when it gets applied to the Blender Foundation!”.

On the other hand, I look forward to you bringing the same level of “Oh come the hell on!” to Julian’s assumptions about my beliefs. Any day now… :wink:

So whilst I concede that using the word “blame” is perhaps unwarranted, the principle I discussed still stands. The Blender Foundation (rightly) accepts the accolades for good results from decisions they make, no matter how “expected” such a decision (& it’s results) might be for a small open-source foundation. The flip-side of that is also accepting responsibility for decisions they make, no matter how expected the decision (or it’s results) might be for a small open-source foundation.

If that is still something you take issue with, perhaps we can leave it as an agree to disagree moment? I most certainly didn’t intend for the thread to be about this.

I want to see the 2.8 talk as well!!!

During the conference, it is understandable that they have other priorities than resolving live streaming issues. The people who are attending the conference have paid for their tickets. Compared to a few years ago, the situation is already a lot better. There are big companies who consciously don’t live stream or just the keynotes and release the videos weeks or months after the conference.

I am curious to hear whether it would be possible for the future to fund a person to take care of the streaming during the conference. I believe there would be enough people to pay a little bit to hire a person for that.

That’s the quote that did it I guess. Of course the cloud is not really connected with the conference, and thus a live conference stream is not really a “guaranteed quality service” as part of a cloud subscription - rather, it’s a nice thing the foundation tries to do since they want things to be open. The talks should be there in the youtube page in a few days at most but please don’t let this fact stop your democratic right to discredit the institute at every chance.

This is a great idea. I, for one, would chip in for this. Thanks Dantus, we have to remember this for next year :slight_smile:

Did what exactly? Set off Fweeb? Is there a conversation in IRC or at the conference about this we’re missing because he didn’t quote that comment or even mention it at all.

The Cloud is run by the Foundation. The conference is run by the same Foundation. The Cloud was streaming videos live weekly. It’s looking to provide video content to users to keep them coming. It seemed natural to me that someone would have thought to connect the two. That’s all I meant.

Give it a rest, Antony. I’m far from the only one disappointed with the live stream failing &/or feeling let down by it. :rolleyes:

So, Fweeb, is this a matter of “Oh come the hell on!” or are personal comments allowed to those with special privileges?

Don’t feed the __

swans ?

I am sure I will remember it in one year. I am going to be sitting at home and the streaming is still not working… :slight_smile:

i am looking forward to seeing blend4web’s talk on youtube! :slight_smile:

so many great talks, excited to hopefully see all of them in a few days on youtube :slight_smile:

I have the impression that the performances is much lower than described here https://www.blender.org/conference/2015/presentations
Can someone tell - all performances passed? Or some of it is canceled?

Ah this is why I love blender,

I think they listened to us

Livestream is now on youtube,the salon at least

Do you know when the 2.8 talk will be available on youtube?
thanks.

Ton is on right now

I assume this video is the UI-Talk, or?

Problem is, even if I had been shooting backup videos, I wouldn’t have had a way to upload them in time. The wifi is pretty usable…now that the conference is over and prob. 3 people use it. But there’s new wall mounted cameras in both rooms now, so at least all the footage should be on the same drive, ready for cutting.

One idea for improving the work flow is to use more pie menus instead of using literally every available shortcut. So a button can be a simple toggle button (yay for tab) and if you hold it, it’s a pie menu. no more shift, ctrl, alt, ctrl-shift, ctrl-alt, shift-alt, ctrl-shift-alt…

Nice conference ( :

Hey Fweeb!

Thanks for the info.

Severin talk about UI is up! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2R6FEor0e8

Ok so maybe they only have indirect control over the streaming quality, but what’s up with the YouTube videos? Would it have killed somebody to take a couple minutes to edit out the several minutes of roll up and roll down on each video? Not to mention making sure they were actually labeled correctly, or was there really a hour and forty minute long talk on the use of Blender in humanitarian demining efforts?

If the resources to take these simple steps really aren’t available why not post the raw footage to a temporary location and put out a call for volunteers to do the editing before uploading to the official channel? I’m sure it would be done in a couple days and there isn’t any information in these videos that is so critical it needs to be disseminated more quickly than that.

I’m genuinely puzzled why an organization that exists largely due to donations would allow themselves to be presented in such a sloppy and unprofessional manner. How can the BF expect people to donate money to support their films when they visit the official YouTube channel and the content is dominated by extremely poorly produced videos of live events? Don’t get me wrong it is great that the videos are posted as that is how most people will experience the content, but the careless presentation does not leave a good impression of the BF’s competency.