Blender Conference 2015

No, this is just the BF’s apparent inability to find a way to create a good stream link despite the same issues for a few years and counting.

It’s pretty much a BF trademark now, I think the only way to really fix it would be to just hire an outsider who’s an expert in this sort of thing (because I don’t know if they have anyone with the right skill working for them now).

@Ace

how hard can it be?
I thought it was easy as sin, just take a mic and use a PC with internet to stream it to twitch

The livestream is always worthless, but the YouTube uploads this year don’t seem as smooth sailing as they usually are either. Hopefully they’ll get it worked out, as there are several talks this year I wanted to see.

@XRg

Yeah I was really really looking forward to Gleb Alexandrov’s talk

Daaaamn. I really want to watch “Blender 2.8 - the workflow project” presentation but it isn’t on BF youtube channel. Anyone know if they will upload it later?

They should have just used youtube to stream both the salon & main stage, not just the salon… it would have allowed smoother upload to YouTube in the end.

I have a feeling though, that the venue has streaming rights over the main stage, and is the reason why it is not already up on youtube. Why else would they split up the service like this.

Youtube might be limited to one live stream per account.

There should definitely have been a contingency plan to stream to some other platform (twitch, ustream, etc).

I suspect far more people watch the conference online than in person, so it’s a shame that the live coverage has been so patchy. There also isn’t any mention of the issues on the stream page - just a couple of twitter comments about hardware issues and getting a new encoder.

Watching the recordings days after the event isn’t quite the same.

On what page will be the 2.8 UI talk? I am really curious about what Ton will propose and say.

I would have thought that a decent livestream would have been a priority for Blender Cloud myself. I was honestly shocked it wasn’t, though sadly not at all shocked the stream sucked (then died).

As others have pointed out, Blender Conference livestream are notoriously bad… To the point where the “bad stream so you attend in person” conspiracy theory doesn’t sound as ridiculous as it should.

It’s really not that hard to set up a livestream. My kids do it all the time with their game play throughs.

Rant to the side, the Blender 2.8 talk is super high on my priority list too. Please share when it’s up folks

Um, in case you haven’t noticed from “DeBalie TV”: The streaming is organized by the venue, the BF isn’t really to blame. If it makes you feel better: WiFi doesnt really work here as well :slight_smile:
Regarding “bad live stream for more sales”: Yes, people are definitely going to buy tickets on the second day when they realize that the stream doesn’t work, especially since they were already sold out :wink:

Anyone who watched it live mind to share something? (2.8 project by Ton i mean) Does it go into details and reveal something new to the community? Would be disappointing to wait for it so badly and then realize it’s just the code.blender blog post remixed with slide and talking over :confused:

BTW, today Sergey talk was good too, nice he mentioned “nodification of everything” and how dependency graph will play a big role for it.
Topics been: Dependency Graph, OpenSubdiv and what has been done in Cycles, mainly about Gooseberry.

Oh yeah, 148€ per person, for 3 days full of program, drinks and lunches included, free tickets for developers and other people involved… That sounds like a big rip-off. Stupid business guys.

Does Amsterdam have any other venues that make a better effort to keep their technology up to date? If so, the BF can tell the people at DeBalie to either fix the technological issues or watch their business go elsewhere.

Why use DeBalie if they can’t meet the needs sought by the Foundation?

One day i will make it to blenderconf… definetly seems like it would be worth it… but for the meantime I will have to rely on VODs, which seem to only cover the second stage, not the main stage… that is the problem for me.

I have found on twitter two images of the 2.8 project–

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CR_dgRqU8AA78sg.png
and
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CR_dgBDUYAAFRUC.png

Object nodes & viewport upgrade will be awesome as will the asset management side of things.

Wow, talk about reading into a post what you want to rather than what was actually said! I don’t recall anyone saying the price was a rip-off.

Anymore ridiculous protections people want to get off their chests while we’re here?

Now, I hate to be the one pointing out the obvious, but the Blender Foundation organised the conference, chose the venue, etc.

Sorry, but whether or not it is PC to point it out, the Foundation must share some of the blame for the choices they make.

But that’s kind of my point :). The streaming shouldn’t have been left to De Balie.

To be fair, it wasn’t completely. The Youtube stream from the salon was a lot more reliable.

It just looked like De Balie’s servers couldn’t cope with the number of viewers. BConf is probably a much bigger event than they’re used to hosting.

Hopefully some backup plan can be figured out for next year.

@BTolputt, Well… why would they want you to come to the conference then?

Probably one should also remember that there are 1 or maybe 2 other things that need to be organized before and during such a conference. If people want a better (free!) stream, ticket prices for conference visitors need to go up so extra staff can be employed.
Also, I know that there was quite some effort put into providing a better streaming (moving to DeBalie TV was one of it). What happened was just a plain technical disaster, minutes before the conference started. For sure, that’s more than unfortunate, but with a small budget, such stuff is hardly avoidable.

You know, I might be a bit protections here, but maybe the reason is that I actually see the people that put a shit load of work into making this conference running smoothly and making sure others are having fun.

Oh come the hell on!

Permit me a moment to be anecdotal. I like to think I’ve been to a lot of conferences over the years for a lot of different things… all of varying size and scale. And of all those conferences, only one didn’t have crappy network and crappy live streaming.

How about we try this? Let’s try take a day (maybe today… that sounds nice) and avoid blaming anyone for anything. And how about we take a breath and remember that this is a small event at a small venue and that videos will eventually get posted. I know everyone’s eager to watch these talks (they’re all really quite good).

Let’s be patient. I’m sure there will be things we can really get upset about when the videos are actually posted. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is the keynote anywhere on YouTube yet? I’m looking at the blender Foundation youTube page and I don’t see it.

Thanks