Blender Bad Defaults (defaults that should be changed)

@pitiwazou, you saw this?

Just so you know - not picking on you Michael W, just think you’re someone worth conversing with on the subject. :slight_smile:

The issue, of course, being the part selected. Left click to select is natural for anyone in the graphics industry before they even open Blender. :wink:

It is my understanding that it is up for being changed. At least, as of a month ago. It may have been quietly removed from the user interface agenda since then, however, but going into that will get the mods involved. :o

And so many did not. It’s trivial to find examples of that in the stories around artists trying (and dumping) Blender. Hence the reason it keeps coming up over & over & over again.

Good question, IMO i would love if show all edges became just default instead of wire. 1 less click for me per object :stuck_out_tongue:

Continuous grab = ON
Images Draw Method = GLSL (2d Texture is SLOW AS HELL)
Show Thumbnails in image browser = ON

VBO = I would want this on but actually it makes selection in wireframe mode slooooow on my AMD 6950. It might take a minute to select whereas with VBO off it might take 2 seconds in a heavy scene.

Nop, I have not see this ^^
Thx for the link :wink:

yes, but selection in maya is different to lightwave is different to silo or whatever… maya’s box select took me as long to get used to as blender’s right click select… and let’s face it selecting in a 3d package is different to slecting in an os or a word processor…

It is my understanding that it is up for being changed. At least, as of a month ago. It may have been quietly removed from the user interface agenda since then, however, but going into that will get the mods involved. :o

that’s why i gave an example of how I changed it in the past… the changes i suggested may seem liek a waste to some (as both rmb and lmb do similar things) but I had many users here who liked it because it satisfied both camps without teh “muscle memory” changes required for either… not suggesting it should be taken as a serious default but fascinating none the less…

And so many did not. It’s trivial to find examples of that in the stories around artists trying (and dumping) Blender. Hence the reason it keeps coming up over & over & over again.

this forum proves it’s not a deterent as it’s demonstrable that there are many more blender users now coming from different packages… where’s there’s only anecdotal evidence in teh other camp…

If I’m a serious user of maya (or whatever) and give up on blender is it because of a default or because I can already do what i need with a package i know better? migrating to a new package so often takes more effort than it’s worth…

If i’m less experienced and gave up on blender was it becuase of the default or becuase 3d is hard… or because I think my lack of progress must be because blender is substandard and I should invest my time in what the “pros” use? or some other insecure FUD

Or was it just as you say? Well, there is no data on that is there… no independent research or focus group testing…

I know, there’s a ccritical mass of people who make noise though so am not dismissing it… just in the scheme of things find it a huge distraction…

I found the User prefs on using blender day one… tried them out, and got on with it… there’s a few I still change (because of tablet usage and my lightwave background) and many I’ve gone back to teh defaults on… no big deal, no deterent… it’s what i do whenever I learn a new package…

so whilst I don’t think they should be set in stone I just don’t think there as much of a deterrent as other harder to change things in teh software…

(such as asset management: material libraries, the aforementioned custom brush setups or the inconsistencies between some of teh editors (a movie clip image sequence is loaded by selecting image number one but in teh sequencer i have to select all teh images in teh sequence for example…)

batch baking is a huge workflow topic (a little unfair as the cycles baking is so new)

joining windows when they’re in a four by four grid is a nightmare if teh centre is a pixel out on a hi res display…
lack of fixed length tangents in teh graph editor…

having teh window subdivision support tabs (so I could have a region with dopesheet, grapheditor, action editor sharing a space and quick to change between for example… having scenes as tabs… the list is endless!

Mentionning that, what is the reason Multitexture is that slow ?
I mean there have been hundred of 3D games out there not using GLSL that have been using textures on sometime complex scenes without any kind of performance trouble, so why is Blender so slow with textures in the non-GLSL display mode ?

I’m not talking about multitexture, but 2d image drawing, this means UV image editor, etc.

Changing image draw method to GLSL speeds up the uv editor with large or repeated/tiled images extremely.

Multitexture to GLSL viewport is a complete change of workflow. Personally I like multitexture because using UV image rather than material… Better for unwrapping and quicker just drag an image in to see… It ia horrendously slow so i usually switch to local view.

However i really think image draw method should be GLSL for image editor etc. “2D texture” bad.

Multitexture to GLSL viewport is a complete change of workflow. Personally I like multitexture because using UV image rather than material… Better for unwrapping and quicker just drag an image in to see… It ia horrendously slow so i usually switch to local view.

Waiting for the implementation of PsyFi’s fine work on tex painting. This might change a lot of non-sense around.
Sorry for this, but, what else can I say after testing the texpainting branch? You just have a nice palette (layer-like) select what you like and paint-have it in the UV-image editor. Simple and effective.
IMO, GLSL should be in the BI,Cycles etc drop-down menu.

zoom to cursor position enabled, it is standard everywhere except from Blender

Align new objects to view, I think we had this defaulf before untill some brilliant mind changed it.

UV and edit mode selection syncronised, as we had before this feature was first dropped and then re implemented

Background enabled. I don’t really know why this option if exposed if I can control background visualisation in every background data block.

indeed indeed

Actually the only 3D software that has zoom-to-cursor enabled by default is Cinema4D and Modo (and honestly I always turn it off as I find it extremely annoying)

me too!

Also ‘align object to view’ is a bad choice to me.

paolo

I’ve always wondered why Blender’s IO performance is so bad with compression enabled when for most heavy data applications the opposite is true.

On most modern machines the hard drive is a much bigger performance bottle neck than the CPU so spending some CPU cycles to compress your data and write a smaller file to disk almost always results in shorter save and load times. Not so for Blender, maybe the default compression level being used is to high?

Recover auto save => results should be sorted by date by default (currently you have to do it and you’re looking for the most recent one almost evry time, that would save one click only but one click less after a crash is a relief !)

Honestly, what the defaults are, not my concern as long I can setup blender as I like, easily.
However, this right button select… If I set it to left, it conflicts badly with the emulate 3 button mouse. Not easy to setup the whole thing differently.
I mean, if you change it to left, please do the whole work, not the half of it.
3 button mouse emulator is very important to me. Though I still use the middle mouse button etc, my hand suffers badly.
Though I also assigned wacom pen buttons accordingly, I still use the mouse emulation. An intuos5 wacom is great but I can’t work without the mouse, not really. In sculpting mode, the grab or twist brushes love the mouse, never the pen.
I also use a dual monitor setup. Wacom split in to monitors? Better not.

BTW, though irrelevant to the thread, when I save a blend having GLSL enabled, I would like to reopen the file with these settings, right?

Cycles - MIP should be “on” for HDR environment maps by default - like it is for emission materials.