Blender 2.5 Video Tutorial: Howto model a spaceship based on Star Trek

Oh looks like a nice game. Hope I will find time to check it out.

Dont blame me if it isnt a nice game (-:
I love star trek but i dont like the games or the movies
Nice tutorials,they helped me a lot
Keep up the good work

It looks like a quite complex and funny game, actually. I whish I would have more free time to explore it. Right now, 100% of my free time is going into this tutorial and into another Enterprise 1702-Video. I am working on it for more than a year now. Actually, it’s just because of the long-time rendering (6 Weeks) and when it is finished, I always find another small error like a wrong light, or badly moving planets, asteroids. Than I alwys say to myself: Ok, don’t render it with full settings, you will find another error again… But than I think always the same: “No, this time it will be perfect.” Hehe. The rendering is actually almost finished and I am searching for free royalty free soundtracks which I can use without making german GEMA removing my clip from youtube. You know some good sites for soundtracks? Right now, I use Soundbible.com.

I just uploaded Tutorial 2b. Happy Blending!

This is the current result of Tutorial part 3a. I will upload it soon

Preview img of Tutorial 3

Dropbox won’t let us see the image without logging in, maybe you should consider photobucket…

Oh… em… damn! I thought by putting the images in the public folder, that they are public … Thank you for informing me, I didn’t knew that. Just wanted to see if there are any feedbacks and start with Tutorial 3a. Now I know, nobody could see it :(. I will see if there are some settings I can made in dropbox to avoid having another server (already have Ubuntu one and Dropbox and don’t want to get confused by too many locations). But if I cannot find settings to make it completely public, I will switch to photobucket. Thanks!

Hmm strange… Dropbox is saying that this should work with non dropbox users too: “The easiest way to share files with non-Dropbox users is use the links to individual files in your Public folder. These can be accessed by anyone, even without a Dropbox account.” I made it exactly like that. You are sure you have to log in to see the image?

I get the error 403 when I try to open the image in a new tab.

Ok, you are right, I tried it out myself with just logging out on my dropbox account. I will change the location soon.

• edit - ok changed the images to photobucket. Are they working now?

By the way, I uploaded a new animation and want to put it into it’s own thread. I am just not sure if it goes to the “animations” thread or the “finished project” thread. Any suggestions on that?

The new animation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5SUrOy3nDQ

Yes it works now, and it looks great. The only problem I have with it are the engines could us a little more work on the material/compositing and then there is that light in the middle of the ship, I don’t know what it is meant to be but it looks like someone bleached the photo and then pixalised it.

I would suggest you put it in the animations section, there seems like more work that could be done to it to give it a more stylistic rendering/composition, but overall it looks detailed enough to be called very successful.

On a side note I saw that you used music from Kevin Macload, I just happened to finish my radio station website assignment for flash, where I used his music, very funny. And again, well done!

Yes, you are right. I will add an “improve the warp engines” part when I am finished with making the body. Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, that’s funny. I searched a lot for royalty free music which are free and finally found his site which is great!

Hi guys. I already finished Tutorial 3a, 3b and 3c but I lost half of the audio for part a and c. So I have to comment the silent areas with audio. I need a little bit time for that. Sorry. However, I made a small video showing the result of part c. I just started texturing the throat. It’s not finished yet, but I wanted to give you the chance to influence the next steps by showing the current result. Here it is:

Ok I repaired Tutorial 3a (Modelling the body similiar to the galaxy-class) with new audio and finally uploaded it to youtube. See the header of this thread for the url.

For those, who already reached Tutorial 2a and was disappointed because of the sync problem between audio and video: I just repaired the video and uploaded the new version. I also corrected the link for Tutorial 2a at the head of this thread. Happy blending and a happy new year!

Tutorial 3b added to the head of this thread. 3c is out of sync again. I will repair it and I hope I can upload it this weekend. By the way, I switched the screen-recording tool from gtk-recordmydesktop to a script which used ffmpeg for recording the screen, which is much more stable and fast. If you use Linux too I can just appreciate to use the screen recording script provided in the Ubuntu forums.

Result of Tutorial 3G:

Just added Tutorial 3c and 3d. 3c is unfortunately a little bit damaged. I couldn’t repair it better than that. If you check it out please tell me if it is to much damaged to follow. If so, I will try to recreate the video somehow. Additonally, I added preview imaged to each part of this tutorial. If you find any link errors or something like that, just tell me. Thanks for your attention and your feedback.

Just incase this becomes an issue again in the future, imgur.com is the current best image host there is, very closely followed by min.us.

Thanks for your links Asday. I will keep that in mind for my next images.

I just wanted to apologize that I didn’t updated this tutorial now for a while. I am so busy in my work right now and I am actually in Miami Beach right now, not for vacation, just for Business. It’s still quite nice, since the wheather here is much better than in germany right now ;). However, just wanted to tell you, that I will continue this tutorial in approximately 2 weeks.

This tutorial and your feedback makes really fun, so thanks to all of you for your comments and attention.