Blackmagic just released Fusion...for free

Quicktime 7.7.6 I made these movies back in July.

A Inksape SVG (saved as Inkscape and normal SVG) crashed Fusion.

Any Tips or workarounds would be very helpful!

Hi Dito…works… used 0.48

Oh no…
I have all the time tried to import via drag and drop until I finally saw that there is an extra SVG import under File.

Many thanks for your answer Piet.

Now I just have to find out how do I extrude a SVG and give it a (shader-)material

sorry to tell you but you cant do that in fusion (yet). for the eyeon version there was a plugin called krokodove (which is “legoware”) which brought shape extrusion into fusion.

Hi pingking23,

many thanks for the hint.

This is of course not so nice.
So you have a logo (or similar) always import as a 3D object or you make a “Logo-Font”.

At the moment Fusion is a little frustrating.
I fail already to get a material on an imported object.
Searching for basic tutorials.

this should get you started on materials

This is great!

Many thanks pingking23

Is a multilayer exr the only way to get a video from blender into Fusion? Does anyone know of any software (preferably free) that will convert an AVI RAW to any of the formats supported by Fusion?

You can try
TEncoder
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tencoder/files/
or
SuperSimple Video Converter
http://gromada.com/video_converter/Both are for Windows

Oh silly me,exr is just for images not video,ha ha!

Thanks Dito I`ll check em out.

Of course, if you’re rendering from Blender and want to do compositing in Fusion, you’re best off rendering to a sequence of multi-layer EXRs (you should be rendering to a sequence of still images anyway and not rendering directly to a video file).

this! renders fail and files get corrupted, best to be able to restrict that damage to 1 frame rather than an entire sequence.

+1 on that.

BlackMagic Fusion has been updated to version 8 beta.
http://www.cgw.com/Press-Center/News/2015/Blackmagic-Releases-Free-Beta-Version-of-Fusion-.aspxhttps://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion

Its great to have fusion for free.
But i cannot realy find out how it is good for a production pipeline … please help me to understand.
When i use in example Blender to make some explosions, smoke, destruction effects - is fusion usefull for the integration of my renderings into real-footage?
I think i can import my animations in Blender, too - using import “image as planes” and the workflow is faster?
What i mean is, i dont know what makes fusion better in doing this?
Why should i export my models, animation, backgrounds and import them into fusion in place of importing the results in blender?
Because it is faster? Because of nodes? Because of … i dont know.

I´ve played around with fusion. Its easy-to-understand, it has “all need things” in one package (keyer, tracker …) but when i import some images/animation as planes into a fusion 3d-environment i thought its much more complicated then using blender for the same things?
Please, help me to understand WHY you use fusion (or mybe nuke) and what is your workflow.
Greets,
dafassi

The shortest answer will be that if you are one man company you can composite footage as you wish.
(althought try use film emulation and tell me if images as planes are still good idea… )
But in bigger company often a person wich is combining your explosion with footage doesnt even have to know 3d aplications… Color correction with is responsible for making composition reliable is much easier to do in fusion than in blender… regardles of fact that blender cant even read data from pro cameras, like red’s files or dng’s…

basicly production level is not possible with 3d view.

But remember blender compositor can do most of fusion work… just slower…

There are a lot of things that can’t be done in reasonable time (or can’t be done at all) using only tools in Blender. Anything related to paint, comping in 3D space and so on. I work on live-action shots more than CG stuff and I would not even start thinking doing these things in Blender compositor.

Fusion compared to blenders compositor is blazing fast, not to mention all the features blender compositor lacks, most important one being basic caching. But i was surprised to find out that blender compositors defocus node gives much better results (with depth based defocus) than fusions native one.