Blackmagic just released Fusion...for free

I also downloaded this and gave it a go. I tried to open a multilayer .EXR, but couldn’t get the channels to separate right. I am planing to incorporate this software into my pipeline, including DaVinci Resolve. Just by having a stroll through the Fusions’ options in there I saw how awesome it is. I just need to learn it’s node logic.

the way i felt as well :frowning:

Mac is on the plan according Grant Petty… I have the Blackmagic Cinem Camera with full Resolve… This Company is so fantastic!

Fusion is an excellent compositor I’ve had since 2009. I’ve completed a few projects with that program, including a short indie film where I composited a glowy-eyed alien into a few shots for a crew out in L.A. I recommend Fusion to anyone who uses Blender in their workflow for not only tracking shots but doing some nice compositing and particle work. Blender does some of these things really well also, so it’s not a need for anyone who uses Blender, but it’s still nice to have.

I was so hoping they’d do this again. I <3 BM. And from what I’ve heard the Windows version will work on Parallels and Bootcamp until we get out native Mac version :slight_smile:

Since playing with Fusion these past few days I find myself getting to know my 3D software in a way I never did before. Now I’m heavily into channels and really thinking ahead for post production on many levels.
I rendered out a Z depth OpenEXR channel of a scene from cycles I’m testing and the Z image is inverted. The darker to black is supposed to be furthest away. Instead the background is white and the foreground objects are black. Any thoughts on this?

I use this script, it creates loaders for each passes. The only issue is that if you change your footage length or path, you have to go through all loaders nodes…

I’ve been using Fusion for quite a while and I love it in general, really happy to see it become free. I’m using it on my short movie (alongside maya, a tiny bit of Blender, and Resolve for the final editing and grading). http://lalettre-movie.blogspot.se/2012/12/trailer.html

I’ll give it a go. I hope that the free version supports scripts, because it doesn’t support third party addons. One of the limits of using a free version.

Edit:

chafouin do you know of any good starter tuts? I’ve managed to find some on their youtube channel and they have some on their homepage, but I could use more of them.

I’ve managed to install the script. I copied it to some folders inside the installation directory, but it doesn’t seem to load in the flow. I can choose it in the script menu, but it does not appear.

In YouTube type “Eyeon Fusion Tutorials”. Since Blackmagic just bought Fusion, most tutorials will still be under Eyeon. I found many tutorial videos.

Also make sure to look for the series “Ten reasons why you need Fusion” and “Rony Soussan NVIDIA GTC demo”

Links

First video of Ten Reasons series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB4H774bmbI

Sorry, I was assuming that it would work in Fusion 7 by default, but it returns an error in the console. I’ll see if I can find the issue.

Sorry, I was assuming that it would work in Fusion 7 by default, but it returns an error in the console. I’ll see if I can find the issue.

No pressure :slight_smile:

Well I experimented with the channels you get in the loader options on the right side. The picture is there but it just doesn’t show the right colors. For some reason it makes them completely dark. But I did manage to get the AO channel in another multilayer .exr presented correctly.

Are you using proper gamma? Click on the LUT button under the viewport to activate the LUT, then on the small arrow next to it if you want to choose a certain type of LUT. You can use the default Fusion one, in that drop down menu select Edit, then change the gamma to 2.2 if you’re working in sRGB.

Don’t forget to apply this gamma correction at the end of your flow if you want to write images in the right gamma space. You should read about linear workflow if this doesn’t make sense to you.

About the script, I fixed it nastily (I am by no mean a coder :D) by removing all the part that was creating issues, it is just to save the preferences you choose when running the script. If you want to do the same thing, remove lines from 31 to 78, and lines 146 and 167.

The gamma settings fixed it. Thanks a lot :). I don’t know anything about LUTs other than what they are (a bit). So in the future I should save my renders in Linear color space to work with Fusion?

You should always work in linear workflow. Output 16 or 32 bits floating point images from your 3d package, composite in linear and then apply gamma correction at the end of the process. This is valid for any compositing software, including Blender :slight_smile:

Edit: If you even want to go further in that, I would recommand to look into OpenColorIO configs. You can download some from there: http://opencolorio.org/configurations/index.html and also read a bit more about it.
For instance, instead of using the Fusion LUT, you can use the OCIO LUT, open a config file (I use the nuke one for instance), then set the source space and output space (linear to sRGB in my case)

Thanks for the tip :slight_smile: I haven’t ventured much in the compositing side and post production of 3D. Still have a lot to learn. I plan to do some tuts on this topic next year. Specifically the ones from Bartek. Those should really be an eye opener on this subject.

Hi folks, first all, hope you’re having fun with Fusion.
Second, I’ve started updating Scripts, Fuses, etc, to be compatible with Fusion 7. The latest splitEXR script should now stop generating errors on Fu7 and Windowns 7 and 8 systems (as far as i know)

I’m also in the process of updating the site, so don’t act surprised if stuff on the site goes wonky.

cheers,

Sven

svenneve- Good to see a developer here. Many thanks to you and your team!

I am having a problem getting H.264 mov files loaded even though I see Quicktime as a supported type in the list. Any idea what could be wrong on my end?

this is a very specific question for this thread, but if one wanted to work for print, into what colorspace should one output the final image? I figure linear 16/32 applies for any workflow… up to the end.

What version of Quicktime are you using, we noticed that Fu7 is quite picky when it comes to Quicktime, the latest version should work though.