BGMC17; Suggestions and Discussion.

How about to focus on a certain game aspect.

gatherer game
-> a game with an inventory

single instance simultaneous multiplayer game
-> two or more players at the same game instance (split screen, shared screen)
-> all play at the same time

this might be hard to test for a single person, but allows a lot of freedom at the choice of the genre.
The input might be a challenge.
The result can be a game with a lot of fun when working together (or against each other).
It avoids to exclude anybody how can’t cope with Python and network programming.

Master controller
-> control one or more “NPCs” by giving them commands.
-> requires a way to tell specific commands to specific objects.
-> requires a way to let the objects achieve their goals without further user interaction (AI).
-> typically use case: strategy games

I think BGMC has been most successful in the past where the theme has been quite loose. Something like Robots or Retro or sports.

When people think about taking part they usually have an idea of what they want to do already, maybe an idea that’s been kicking around in their head for a while but they didn’t use. They usually have some idea of how to do the game mechanics, art assets etc… The challenge comes from putting everything together in to a finished game.

Having said that, “collector” and “puppet master” are both good open ended themes.

Have we had “myth and legends” in a BGMC yet?

I like the easter egg idea too :slight_smile: having monster in there would a off fit… :smiley:

hammering mole~

how about all art assets are cubes. game can be about what ever u want but everything is made of cubes.

Cubes already are seen in Minecraft. Maybe everything made out from exact color or using exact styles of architecture?

That’s a cool idea, everybody has to use a certain style of architecture. The only problem is that means everybody has to make their game take place in more-or-less the same location/time period.

How about a color?
Red,
Green,
Purple,
Or red vs blue?

That would look pretty blank… just one color?

I imagine that the emphasis, or main color pallette, could revolve around one colour but does not exclude the others as long as a single one is given highest importance within the game. As a quick example, press buttons for points, but avoid the red one. One could still go full guns with one colour, but it doesn’t mean that you’re stuck with only having to use that one.

Of the ideas on the table, I like:
-Game of the Movie
-Minigame
-Infinite
-Catastrophe
-Nonviolent
-Nautical
-Extreme Sports
-Story-focused
-Historic
-Myths and Legend

The colour one could be really cool if you randomly assigned each participant their own colour to work with. Have all sorts of themes pop up. Then again, some people might be put off with the colour they were given.

For my own ideas:

-I liked the “Point and Click” genre that nearly won last time, would be happy to see it again.
-Music
-Space
-Growth

Growth as in plants, or growth as in children?? cause that would be weird

Mostly up to interpretation. Could be a glacier! Or a mountain.

“Unfortunately” for me, I’ll be away on holiday soon (poor me) so I doubt I’ll get much time to work on this, if any.

get out whle you’re ahead, right…?

Already pawning off my silver trophy for margarita money. :smiley:

What about '90s graphics? Big pixels, no mipmapping, and low resolutions! :yes:

That is a good one but has been done twice before. ^^

“Collector” and “puppet master” both sound very intriguing.

I like puppet master , that sounds cool,

from psychics to cyborgs, and mages and minions,

alot of potential there.

I agree that the themes should be more open-ended. It gives the content-creators more freedom over the genre and some elements that they want to add to the given theme.

Anyways, I really want to know when this contest will start. I was planning on somewhere around September EST.

How about a ‘clicker’ style game like pizza clicker?