BGE forum addition

“Game Engine Support and Discussion” should split into two separate forums: “Support”, and “Discussion”.

Proposal outlines:

1. Rename "Game Engine Support and Discussion to “Engine Support”
  2. Add a new sub forum called “Engine Development”
  3. Merge “Team projects” and “Work in Progress and Game Demos” to a subforum called “Works in Progress”
  4. Rename “Resources” to “Tutorials and Resources”

I am also interested in feedback concerning delegating forum areas into subforums - much like GameDev.net and Unity forums. I believe that this has two potential outcomes:

• Concentrating expertise into certain areas of development, improving quality and frequency of response
  • Undermining the integration of users under a common forum area.

There is currently no sub-forum specifically for discussing game development in general without involving the BGE. When such general topics pop up, they are currently discussed in the “Game Engine Support and Discussion” section, even though they may not be directly BGE related.

It seems that this Game Engine section of the forum has amassed a unique community of its own. Speaking personally, I hardly every step outside of the Game Engine section on this forum. That said, it makes discussing general game development here a special thing, because there are already familiar Blender users in the community; opposed to joining a different community specifically for general game development discussion, such as gamedev.net.

As Ace Dragon said:

I liked SolarLune’s proposal. I think it can be condensed further:

I’m also in agreement with “team projects” being merged with the Work in Progress section, as well as renaming “Resources” to include “Tutorials” as well, for clarity.

However, in agoose’s above proposal, “Engine Support” is too restrictive.
Renaming “Game Engine Support and Discussion” to “Game Development” should suffice without entailing too many limitations.

Engine development discussions can probably be wrapped into one sub-forum without becoming too convoluted. There are often more game support questions asked in this sub-forum than there are threads relating to Engine development.

This proposal leaves us with the same number of sub-forums as we have now, but with more purpose and freedom of discussion.

Engine support is, in my view, synonymous with game development, except it embed it in the context of the BGE, and not, say, Unity 3D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk