BGE forum addition

Yeah , it’s true. So how can we improve it when we all get stuck on the programming part ? To add more options to the logic bricks system looks like they have to complicate the c++ code even more. Probably not worth it.

Maybe we need a few subforums:

1. BGE support and discussion
  2. BGE engine development
  3. Other engine discussion

adding a drop-down context to the sensor, that selects a variable, and then uses that variable set a property,

would use 100% existing code, with a few additions,

this would make logic much more powerful in very few steps,

The rest of developments I am afraid is CUDA / openGL that I don’t know enough about,

In conclusion the biggest difference between CE and BGE seems to be the multithreading. For some reason I was thinking that CE was going to do so much better then BGE when forced to use a single core , and that was not the case at all. Thanks for the help guys.

In conclusion the biggest difference between CE and BGE seems to be the multithreading. For some reason I was thinking that CE was going to do so much better then BGE when forced to use a single core , and that was not the case at all. Thanks for the help guys.

BPR , That idea is really nice but all those additions probably brake the source code again and again and grow the complications so much to the point where it will slow down completely or become something like a virtual machine on top of some other virtual machine.

???

this is what I will be doing on the side - https://www.udacity.com/course/cs344

How about this:

• Game Engine
    [LIST]
  • Game Engine Development

[LIST]

• Feature Request (this might be irrelevant, but would certainly clean up the other threads)

• Development (branches, forks?, addon development, engine development)

• Game Engine Resources (addons/modules/scripts)

• Bugs (bug reports and bugfixes)

• ~Maybe a discussion thread? Maybe combine with Feature Request if too many subforums~

• Game Development

• Game Support and Discussion (anything for help with your bge game (python/logic bricks/modelling/textuing/sound etc.)

• Works in Progress and Demos (including critique)

• Finished Games

• Game Resources (pretty much templates/assets)

[/LIST]
[/LIST]

I, personally, don’t think Team Projects should exist. They should be in Works in Progress and Demos. I think that way you get a much cleaner presentation of what a team is creating, not a conversation between the developers (which can easily be done through any social media platform – a forum is hardly the most effective way of communicating).

EDIT:

I think that anything to do with other game engines should be in the other forums, as they are not for the Blender Game Engine. Asset creation and exporting for other engines should be in Support -> Modelling/Materials and Textures.

If we are truly restructuring, works in progress should merge with team projects.
Engine development should become a new sub forum. We don’t need any other forums that discuss generic design as gamedev.net discusses this already.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Please delete all my comments and questions cause you guys are constantly twisting what I’m saying and making it about OtherEngines when all my questions were related to BGE and not some OtherEngines.

AceDragon , are you even listening to what you are saying ? Is that what I said ?

I don’t need you guys to restructure anything for me because I won’t bother you guys with any questions anymore.

I wasn’t referring to you in any way (but to replies in another thread), so you can rest easy on that :slight_smile:

Ok , sorry , I must’ve missed a big part of the conversations or something …

If this may be important for everyone to know is not the question, the question is if this topic deserves a separate thread or not. Because it isn’t a real support issue I would believe that it’s not appropriate to discuss it in the Game Engine Support and Discussion forum. So don’t get me wrong. I’m not discarding the topic. I only think it is off-topic.

No, of course not. But same thing, let’s discuss the results of such tests in a forum that evaluates the Blender Game Engine in contrast to what is called a ‘game engine’ nowadays.

I didn’t express my opinion about your test at all.

Maybe ask this question if it’s relevant. This topic is about adding a thread for just this purpose.

My previous post in this topic was no reply to this question, and I don’t see Monster’s was also.

*** Moderation ***
removed reference to off-topic posts
please feel free to remove this comment
*** End of Moderation ***

MrPutuLips, your structure’s not bad, but I think there are some redundant things / things that could stay where they are. I’m for merging Team Project with WIP stuff; that ain’t bad. I don’t see the need to have GE Resources separated from Game Resources; they might as well be the same thing. Neither one’s actually developing the game engine, so add-ons can be right up there with blend files.

Feature Requests seems a bit unnecessary, but it would provide a nice list that one could “tick off” to see what features are implemented and what others could use some work, as well as what ones should be simple to implement for newer developers, and what ones are more complex. So I like the idea.

I’m not sure how I feel about add-on development being in there with engine development, since add-ons don’t change the core functionality of the engine. I think they could go in the WIP or Resources thread. While I could see it being proposed that add-ons are tools that assist in working on the BGE, this logic could also be extended to scripts, or things like that, which would clutter up the actual development forum.

So my proposed version would be something like:

Maybe “Game Engine Support and Discussion” should be split in two.

• Game Engine Support
  • Game Engine Discussion and Development

Due to recent events, there is a lot of discussion going on.

Game engine updates and news could be posted in the discussions thread without the need to create a separate “development” thread.

Hello, I agree about the split of “support” and “development” and the merge of “team” and “work in progress”, but not really about two subforums “engine development” and “game development” then more multiples subforums again.
So I will keep the actual number of subforums and something like this:

• Support and Discussion. (helps and discussions on game development)
  • Works in Progress. (wip solo and team)
  • Finished Games. (finished games and demos)
  • Game Engine Resources. (scripts, shaders, addons, etc)
  • Game Engine Development. (features request, bug reports and discussions on engine development)

Game development equates to support and discussion. And the current resources should be called ‘Resources and tutorials’. It needs to be clear that game engine refers specifically to the engine and not the games you create with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well of course all the names I wrote wasn’t meant to be take literally, it was mostly about the number of subforum and what they are.

*** Moderation ***
Deleted all the off-topic posts and removed according references in the above posts.

Please stay on topic.
*** End of Moderation ***

Please take into consideration, we do not want lots of new or changed sub-forums. A single forum with specific purpose should be sufficient enough.

Additionally, BA will not do any bug tracking, feature tracking or managing development projects. This is not the purpose of this forum.

You still can add suggestions in single threads and discuss possible bugs. This is meant to communicate between the users e.g. to verify there is not just a problem of your hardware. Be aware BA is not part of a development pipeline!

Nevertheless BA can be a good source of what the community really wants and to announce any ongoing or planned updates. I think a new sub-forum should head towards this purpose.

So I suggest to post your ideas of what topics should be placed in such a sub-forum (and what not). Additional possible issues should be mentioned as well (e.g. leading to dead forums). We need valid arguments and real interest to convince the our admins.

Regards
Monster