Autodesk Stingray.

I really don’t want to get into this argument because it’s already been made countless times and it’s not going anywhere except a closed thread.

one of the more famous games I know of which was build with Stingrayengine/Bitsquid is this one

It is in my opinion great that the game engine market gets more saturated as it is now.

The more the better since the competition between those development houses means in the long run;

• better and quicker development
  • Greater Innovations/Integrations
  • more catering to often untapped markets (Indie customers outside the Autodesk bubble)
  • less restrictions for the user-bases. (initial prices for buying an engine, fees and taken away percentages will further plummet )

beer ue4 has only been out about a year right? it takes longer than that to develop a AAA game. one of the top games on steam and twitch is ark survival evloved early access. its ue4. other AAA games useing it still in development are crackdown reboot, dead island 2, dragon quest XI, fabel ledgends, gears of war 4, kingdom hearts 3, street fighter 5, tekken7, bards tale 4, and others. developers include lionhead, rare, square enix microsoft games studios, bandi namco, sumo, capcom, ncsoft, and many others that i dont recognize the developer names. there will be as many ue4 games as there were ue3 games and ue3 was the most used engine last console gen. and those are just games that have been announced. there are probably as many or more unnanounced games as those we know about. next e3 i’m sure we’ll find out about many more ue4 games. all the games i mentioned release later this year or next year. non 2017 games, and i doubt 2016 will be the last year video games are sold.

there are still ue3 games releasing, such as the new tony hawk game later this month. rocket league released last month. mortal combat was a few months ago. kings quest and mighty #9 come out this month. we are nearing the end of the ue3 games and about to start the ue4 gen. thats why i said it would take a few years before we would even know about the ad engine, it takes years to make a AAA game. its alot more work than most people realize, and that goes double for beginner hobbiests that think they are going to make the next minecraft while learning as they go along. flappy birds do happen, but they are very rare, like winning the lotto rare.

if i were going to attempt to make a game i would choose ue4. making a new game is a gamble even for major studios. thats why most AAA games are sequals. odds are a random new ip is going to fail. add in the gamble of a new engine on top of that and it has to increase your odds of failure. i cant name every game made with ue because the list would be far too long to fit in a post. i named more AAA games in development that the entire list of games made with bitsquid, a grand total of 5 games i’ve never heard of.

if i were betting my own money i would go with a proven winner. a proven free winner? the choice is made for you. it looks like a smart phone vs 2 cans on a string. and the can phone salesman wants to charge you monthly while the smart phone is free. i hope the can phone salesman loves his product as much as he claims because he is going to have it forever.

The only way I could see them beating unity and Ue4?

Premade assets that come with the engine that are very very easy to use from inside maya.

like make armature, name animations, stick in physics bound, snap on a base, throw in game and it’s working (0 coding)
but still full customization potential.

my 2 cents.

btw (I am working up to a addon to do this in blender with the bge)

they can’t not as I see it today.

it targets to few platforms, why build a game in stingray and only target Win?
If you gonna chose a platform today to do desktop games + consoles you would like to target Mac and Linux (SteamOS) if you’re gonna sell it on steam.

Weird also that they target Win + Xbox but not Windows mobiles. but that might be now with Win10 you’re supposed to be able to run same apps on desktop, mobile and consoles.

That’s exactly what they did. They bought BitSquid now called StingRay. Pssh. Autodesk actually making something from scratch?! That’s hilarious.

You know that the black theme was practically invented by Autodesk right? I mean they had a dark 3dsMax theme all the way back to version 4 and even before that their discreet group had done dark themes for all of their products. In-fact 3dsmax got the dark theme because discreet took over development of 3dsmax at some point and they did a UI overhaul at the time to reflect their other products. Unity didn’t invent jack. Also it peeves me to no end that Unity locks down the theme color depending on what version you have. That’s just stupid imo.

It uses PhysX as well.

Well to be fair at this point in time AD isn’t marketting the engine towards AAA developement they seem to be trying to hit the smaller scale indie-ish scene rather than AAA developers who at this point have already made their choice in engines (if they haven’t built their own already) and won’t be updating in the foreseeable future. Like you said these things take time and big studios aren’t goign to chnage their pipeline at a drop of a hat. That’s why WB has stucj with UE3 for both that new Batman game and MKX. They have the engine, they have the code and they could just modify and add the all relevant graphical features they needed to the engine without it looking last gen. UE4 is changing rapidly but uptake is rising. It just takes time for these thing to permeate the industry. Hobbyist’s have the luxury of changing their mind at a whim.

StingRay looks cool and I can see potential there but the lack of platform support in this day and age makes it DOA imo. Let’s see what AD does with it. I can tell you that right off the bat the interface looks much easier to navigate than Unreal. Not that unreal is hard or anything but there is a lot of “modules” you have to deal with as opposed to a more integrated workflow, imo.

On a positive note this could possibly push Unreal into either developing or integrating better with modeling and animation tools with their engine. So far they have been content with just FBX and calling it a day, they need to do better than that, imo.

UE4 has been available to the public for a year, but it has been in development for a long time. Ark is not a AAA game, it’s the kind of surprise indie hit that Epic gambled on with their royalty scheme.

other AAA games useing it still in development are crackdown reboot, dead island 2, dragon quest XI, fabel ledgends, gears of war 4, kingdom hearts 3, street fighter 5, tekken7, bards tale 4, and others. developers include lionhead, rare, square enix microsoft games studios, bandi namco, sumo, capcom, ncsoft, and many others that i dont recognize the developer names.

Notably absent (compared to the previous UE iteration) are the big three: Activision, EA and Ubisoft. I expect that those places with the resources to do it will invest more into their own toolchains and rely less on third-party engines. I’m sure UE4 will find some AAA adoption, but there’s no guarantee it will live up to its past “glory”. The more UE4 titles that come out with technical problems (maybe due to inexperienced developers), the more people will blame the engine for it (justifiably or not).

if i were betting my own money i would go with a proven winner. a proven free winner? the choice is made for you.

I’m not arguing for Stingray usage in any way, I’m just defending the decision to not make it free for everyone. I don’t think UE4 is a “proven winner”. There are still lots of issues with it. In a couple of years, when people have shipped console games that actually look great and run well, we can proclaim that it has proven itself.

Agree with this point. THe big three have invested or are investing in their own engines. UE4 for them isn’t really adding much. That’s exactly why EPIC had to open up their engine in the first place. They didn’t do it out of the kindness of their hearts. If anyone knew where the big three were heading, it’s EPIC. THey probably knew that the big studios already had tools they were working on and decided that there was more money to be made in the indie market collecting royalties.

That being said, what are these issues you mention in your post with the engine in-terms of technical problems?

only for windows… 20$ a month… bleh

I wonder if this is to be AutoDesks BGE for Maya?

is it all about WYSWIG ?

Thats their selling point. It can sync with maya and max seamlessly. But it works as standalone too.

Perhaps blender should try to do the same. It has already started doing it by having other game engines integrate as addons - BDX and blend4web for instance.

What it lacks is a good visual scripting editor which these addons could have been utilizing by now. BGE logic bricks is utterly outdated in today’s world.

What worries me is that since they also control the FBX file format, they can utterly screw up the competition in a pretty unfair way.

actually, if you were to put SCA on a node graph,
and allow output as properties and inputs as properties

you could do anything,

like a property node ‘throttle’ to a motion actuator

its really not far from the competition , just needs some love.

a python node could set properties, like speed, or linV.z

Bge should be retired imo, or split into a sepparate standalone project/turned into an add on. It’s not capable of competing with mainstream engines

What is old ?

the render.

what is the difference in logic between a node graph and SCA?

Layout only.

Mixing SCA and the nodegraph and adding a better render = modern bge.

Guys, please, take the BGE stuff elsewhere. Seriously.

Some of us want to read other threads without that subject coming up in every single one of them. Thanks in advance.

blender’s future is in partnering with unreal, unity and godot imo

This is pretty cool, I like 3dsMax. Using it and this for a game would probably be enjoyable. Too bad I don’t feel like spending money just to play around in it :confused:

This thread reminds me that I still need to play with Ue4 anyway XD