Asteroid-Mayhem

I was thinking of finding a way so that if only a wing gets hit by an asteroid, big or small, then it will just rip it off…
A bit like in Star-Fox on the SNES-N64.

And, if the main body hits an asteroid then everything breaks up.

This spacecraft has 2 wings and 2 tails, it shouldn’t be too difficult to do, I will give it a go later on…

Asteroid-Mayhem has just been updated !

The latest improvements :

-Works with Blender v2.73

-Big asteroids have been added to the game and are now part of the scenery, this give less the impression of being forced down a tunnel of asteroids !

-The asteroids are more peanut shaped ! and nicely fade in at a distance, they don’t pop up on the screen anymore.

What isn’t working :

-Now the UI timer is broken ?!, I managed to remove the decimal point of the timer but when linked into another blend, it just shows the number “0” ?

Updated the game again, before I call it a day !

I hadn’t realized that the spacecraft was constrained along the X and Z axis by 200 blender units when I should of been using 400 blender units !

Now there are some beacons that help you know if you are getting too close to the borders of the game level.

A useful YouTube video about making Asteroids, very inspiring.

The latest improvements :

The UI-timer is fixed !
The game should run better on small PC’s, the maximum number of physics step per game frame has been set to 1.
The asteroids only use 1 texture as a normal and specular map.
The background was changed, and now uses an image that was rendered with blender.

Download on the blendswap.com website, the blend file that I made to render a giant gassy planet that looks very much like the planet Saturn.

Updated Asteroid-Mayhem.

The spacecraft is now parented to a low-poly mesh…

Sadly no major improvements for now.

Here is a screen-shot of a sentinel alien bug ! These nasty prickly things will be the fist enemies that you will encounter in Level 1.

The game just got updated…

-The asteroids have been improved.
-A new background has been made with some nice looking stars.
-Meet one of the first enemies of the game, the “sentinel alien bug” ! ; Sadly I didn’t manage to get the game working as expected, so there are no baddies to avoid in the game, yet !

A few improvements have been made, but sadly still no enemies to blast :frowning:

The space base interior at the begging of the game has been improved, and will be available with the next version that will be uploaded…

A sweet and tasty baked “space base interior”, using the BI render engine :slight_smile:

The game has been updated, some improvements have been made, but now the spacecraft does not explode when colliding with an asteroid or a projectile ; As well the camera has decided to play up just to annoy me :mad:

I will try and fix it all ASAP.

Edit

After giving this some thought, I am going to make things easier by turning this game in to a “side view” or “top view” blaster game.

Making the game in 3D seemed a good idea at the time but as things are going I will never manage to get this game finished.
And who knows ! probably in a few years from now I might make a new game all together…

A few quick tests before going back to the drawing-board :

Alright, I remade the game, but this time with a top view camera and using an orthographic perspective, hope you like it…
The UI is not very elegant but a good start…

You could make the enemies come out of the asteroids.I think it would look cool.Maybe you could make the enemies that glow.It would be nice effect and it would be different.You could animate the enemies.You could make some of them pulsate like hearts.

Thanks LS :slight_smile: ; Good idea ; I will take your suggestions into consideration… I will update this game in the next 12/24 hours…
You are more than welcome to post your ideas here…

edit

How about you add some comets.

Why can’t you make it so the asteroids break off into smaller pieces.Like the classic asteroid game.How about some type of thing you can collect from asteroids that would either improve maneuverabilty or would be fuel for your spaceship.Have slow and fast moving asteroids.Have it so the asteroids can go from one side of the screen to the other.Can go from bottom to top or from top to bottom.And even diagonally.How about have your spacebase at the end of each level.And make it so you can buy upgrades and another type of spacefighter at your spacebase.

The game just got updated…

The game contains about 3 minutes of fun with a real challenge, and as well, now we have some asteroids that almost look like the real thing !