Anssi - Sketchbook

Something is still not quite right can you do a screenshot of your sss settings.

Yeah, thats propably what’s making the “flat feel”. I made some adjustments on the shader by taking away glossiness and putting a bit more sss in there and it helped. I don’t want to overdo the sss and I propably need to make a map for sss-color and scale before it works properly. The sss scale is so that a strong backlight is barely visible trough head of the pinky.

Yeah, thats propably what’s making the “flat feel”. I made some adjustments on the shader by taking away glossiness and putting a bit more sss in there and it helped. I don’t want to overdo the sss and I propably need to make a map for sss-color and scale before it works properly. The sss scale is so that a strong backlight is barely visible trough head of the pinky.

Is it possible to post your material settings so I can help you tweak it? I also find texturing helps so much when it comes to skin. You can only get away with so much using just a shader.

Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it, but it’s still quite early wip so I’m not going to spend too much time yet on fine tuning the shader.

Got the hand somewhat decently rigged. The rig can manage basic poses, like grabbing objects etc. Have to work on it more so it would be more fool proof. Anyway here’s a few test shots.

Some great images in this sketchbook!

Time to revive this sketchbook!

So I had some extra time on my hands and I got to working on a project that has been bugging me a long time.
At the beginning of this sketchbook, you can find my attempt at creating a space marine from the wh40K universe with a unique style. I was never too pleased with it and I felt that the design was too different from the original style.
So I started from scratch and begun to build pieces of the astrates armor, that could be varied to create different looking units. This time trying to stay true with the original style and feel.

Here are first few units I managed to put together.

Leader unit, with melee focused gear.

Basic soldier, with basic gear.

I plan on creating a few more variations, so I can group up 5 - 10 units to create few action packed scenes and maybe a bit of animation one day.