Anssi - Sketchbook

Wow, really great work! really like the lighting of all your peaces just impressive! This is all done this in blender compositor? or you used Photoshop for post-production? The WH guy I think could use more scratches on the legs IMHO
The last picture of the watch looks fantastic–the only comment would be is that water droplets just distracting from overall great watch, also you don’t have a lot of them and from the just quick look on your watch—they looks like a buttons of the watch it self.This is just personal IMHO lol )).
the animation feels strange especially when the guy almost touch the floor --you have this place too slow IMHO -overwise nice animation! Great works -I will definitely keep an eye on this thread! really inspiring works!

Super hoob jobs

I’d like to know that how those awesome details on glove are modeled,are they texture or no you have made them by playing with vertexes and some techniques .
this pic explains more
thank you

Hi James, FXR, Jools, Neksus and everyone else, thanks a lot for your awesome nice words :eyebrowlift:

I’ve been tinkering with the astrates armor and started making the basic bolter for the units. So maybe in next few weeks I’ll have an update on it.

@Midnight: Hey, thanks alot champ! I didn’t mean that you should have to take the pics out, but that’s mighty kind of you. All the best!

That’s actually quite correct. The armor has a lot influence taken from UT and Star Craft series also. I’ve been told it’s like a bastard son of a space marine and terran marine, lol.

All of the works shown this far are rendered in Cycles.

Many thanks, you got very valid points and I’ll be sure to keep them in mind.
Almost all the work have seen quite a bit color correction and fine tuning in PS. As I’ve mentioned in some other thread I like to fiddle around in post pro quite alot. In case of animations, i try to make the wanted result in blender composition, but with stills I usually spend nice amount of time in photoshop too.

Here’s a wireframe shot of the glove and watch combo. As you can see there, it’s a mix and match. Like those stitches, on the watch they are modelled, on the glove they are textures. The level of detail I go with modelling depends greatly on how close I have to get in the renders.

-Anssi

Great Works! Keep Going :slight_smile:

Amazing texture work on the glove!

The casual poses are perfect. That isn’t usually easy to do.

Anssi, awesome work, really!
The watchband is incredibly photorealistic.
Bookmarking your sketchbook in my “Inspiration” folder.
Keep the art coming. :slight_smile:

i had to thank about the animaton for a little while.
in real life para-troopers in the old days had to bend their knees as soon as they hit the ground so at the point of impact their would be a sudden stop but knees bent at same time.
so i believe the animation is about spot on.

Despite the detail in the textures, your models don’t lose their artistic dimension. It’s quite an impressive feat

impressive work!!

Great work ! I really like your vision of the space marine, and imo your armor is nicely detailed and gives a great look. Congrats.

That watch is brilliant. Great materials

The work is extraordinary! Unbelievable what can be done… and you are doing it! Cudos!

Thank you everyone!

I’ve been modifying the armor with small changes and working on a leader unit who usually are shown without their helmets on the battlefield. The head doesn’t have any actual textures yet, but the Cycles with GPU-SSS is working wonders I think :eyebrowlift2:

-Anssi

Your stuff is amazing! What I really like about it is the subtle texture work, especially on the glove and the watch, there is so much attention to detail witout being over the top like many things you see around (Chipped Paint Edges EVERYWHERE :wink:
You really manage to hit the sweet spot with all of these, also with your modeling and the flow of your animation.
Please keep going.

Been practicing blender + zbrush combo. Here’s my latest.

My current workflow is pretty much following:
I first modeled quite detailed basemesh in blender -> export to zb -> detail sculpting, uv and displacement baking in zb -> export back to blender. Seems to work quite well.

The hand has around 10K polys without subsurf and 4K displacement map.

Hey DeaDEnD, I can’t believe that I missed your sketchbook until now. Your stuff is simply amazing, all of it :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Some texture and shading work on the hands. I’m not too happy with the joint knuckles atm and the overall feel is a bit too flat or something :confused:

EDIT
Made a quick tweak by decreasing glossiness and incresing the sss just a bit

The model is nice but the texture is too diffuse. What are you using for the scale on the sss?