Animation Nodes

You don’t know how enjoyable is to watch this tutorial videos, every one of them.
It’s awesome addon!!!

I know. I watch them all the time myself haha

Great that you enjoy them :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

soooo. I overcome the challenge of implementing Loops. These work pretty stable now.

I know, it isn’t very easy to follow what I’m doing in this video but maybe you get an idea. It is supposed to become easier in the future.

If someone (maybe other developers) is interested in implementation details or similiar things,… just ask. :slight_smile:

Something tells me we’re going to see this add-on make it to trunk eventually.

Fantastic work, thanks for sharing it with us!

OK this last update is getting very confusing for a simple artist like me :frowning: It definitly looks like a code lines in boxes to me. I hope you or someone else can figure out a way to simplify all this to some simpler grammar : Objects (selection or creation) - Action - Effects …
Have you seen C4D MoGraph ? I never used it but I heard it’s the best animation nodes system arround !

Also I 'd quite like to see your system connected to a node particle system (maybe one day the foundation or someone will eventually make it work)

Hm you are right. These are in fact code lines. I let the addon generate code lines from the node tree.
The reason for that is that I can be sure to have optimal flexibility in the update System. Now that I have this I can simplify a lot of common task, but also having much more possibilities for more advanced users.

I only do one step after another :smiley:

Here is a first simplification:

I heard about mograph too but like you I never used it…

Normaly the group loop node only has an object list as input.
you can define more inputs for this loop with the ‘start’ node.

I will take a look what you mean with ‘influence effector type’.

The last thing I worked on is to make this object loop a bit more artist friendly (I have several ideas for that, but maybe someone has suggestions?) and an object replicator node that takes one object as input and has a list of copies as output.

Hi Jacques,
Awesome addon :slight_smile: WOuld it be possible to make it compatible with Sverchok or is it already (I mean for example a float your nodes outputs could be used in a float input from Sverchok)?

Hi,
I never used Sverchok but I think that it should be possible. I don’t know if Sverchok can have id properties as input.

Ah using the start node to define the input worked great. thanks!

What attributes can you animate with this system? Objects only? Material, texture variables?

I already implmented an attribute output node. With this you can animate nearly every property that is accesable via the normal ui. It is a bit inconvinient at the moment but this will change.

Oh man, I hate it when I just have typed a message, something goes wrong and the whole text disappears! :frowning: (And it happened again, but this time I was so smart as to first copy the text… phew!)

Okay, here we go again:

The main problem is not for Sverchok and Animation Nodes nodes to be compatible, but being in the same node tree, if I’m not mistaken. I don’t think you can somehow incorporate another node tree in the current one.
Personally I think this is a shortcoming of the current node system of Blender.

In Maya for example, the whole scene is one big node tree (of course you can choose which nodes to display). This is very cool, because it means everything can drive everything without having to resort to drivers or expressions. In Houdini (never really used it) you can even create whole assets with nodes and publish them with simple attributes (like a node group in Blender). Now for example quite often I would like to drive a Cycles shader with the attribute of another object/shader or for example the distance to another object. You can’t do that with nodes at the moment.

Anyone feel like making the “Über Nodes Addon”? :wink: Which puts all node trees in one place (apart from the compositing node, because that would be silly).

But back to Sverchok and Animation Nodes. If I’m not mistaken these two have to be merged to be able communicate with each other. At the moment this doesn’t seem desirable (and a lot of work!). But maybe later on Animation Nodes can be merged with Sverchok, that would create a really nice, powerful and complicated addon! Oh man, the possibilities… :smiley:

Jacques, nice work so far! I’m doing some experiments and if I think I need some new nodes or change some functionality I will bug you on Github. :slight_smile:

Oh and by the way, when are you going to implement a nice ‘loading screen’ like Sverchok? :rolleyes:

Ah. Unfortunaly I don’t see the possibility that you put both node System in a single node tree. They are just too different…
But it should be possible to communicate between node Systems.

I can’t unify the whole node system with python! but what I can do is to create nodes that makes such effects much easier.

I don’t know how Svershok works in detail… It would be really hard to merge both system and I don’t think that this is going to happen. You should have enough power for everything when you use both Systems separated…

That would be great

A loading Screen is possible hehe. ‘Animation Nodes’ is too Long to fit in the console this way haha

A new object replicator node and work flow simplifications

Sverchok can communicate with any python part of blender, just like Animation Nodes could. Bridges are easy to build, Mixed trees don’t make much sense in the current implementation of PYNodes (the menus would be terrifyingly long).

Sverchok even has a pretty scary node called “EVal Knieval” which is at its heart Python’s Eval and Exec wrapped in a Node - it can take socket input or set its socket output. Sverchok now also has 2 implementations of Scripted Nodes (Mk1 and MK2) which both offer expressive and comprehensive access to any part of Blender’s python interpreter.

If it can be accessed via Python, it’s just a matter of writing a Node to communicate from the NodeTree to the destination.

Okay. Then bridges are really easy to build :slight_smile:
Thanks for Clearing this up zeffii

agree with zeffii.Tree is only representation. If you used Sverchok’ 3D panel ever, you understand what i talking about. It gather all specific nodes from Sverchok custom tree and select floats, integers to insert to 3dpanel. It increase convenience and this way we can automate inteeraction between other addons/trees.There is huge documentation on Sverchok allready (65% completed) and we working on that. Look at /docs/ folder in project.This docs can be found at BA sverchok thread. Also, animation curves was not at first place for us, we making basic things on geometry. But you can join to implement your part. There is /docs/contribution.rst document, that should help you understand sverchok structure well as developer.

ah thanks. I will read the docs now