{Alpha Demo} BGE project seeks volunteers

OK, that is fine. There is no concrete timeline for this project so take all the time you need. There is a polygon budget of 700 tris for all flora, so keep that in mind. The cloud doesn’t have to be included, but you can make something simple just to test it if you want. Let me know if you have any questions.

So here’s the final Floating Fern with the last leaf on it. I tried some darker blues but it just made the fern look darker and not so bright, so I just left it. Sorry if this is a noob question, but aren’t tris bad? Is the budget the same for quads?

No worries, I should have been clearer. The poly budget is measured in tris, but it is preferable to use quads when modeling. Each quad has the same cost as 2 tris, so 700 tris = 350 quads.

The fern looks fantastic, really great work. Thanks again for supporting this project. I will publish this to the main thread.

Thanks to you I painted this in an alpha layer so I could change backgrounds. Here’s what it looks like in a dark enviornment. Also I may need some help with the textures. I was thinking of just modeling some simple planes which could still sway in the breeze and apply an alpha texture which I’ve never done before, so if you know of someone that could maybe lend some guidance when the time comes I would appreciate the help.

I will be glad to guide you through the creation process, however limited my experience. I think an simple plane and alpha transparency is ideal. I will also connect you with Lukavminaev, whom has been providing concepts and assets as well. I will be settled into my new office on the 19th and will be available nearly all day for any questions. I also plan to set up an open audio/video channel to discuss this project for anyone who wants to participate. I will PM you with further info.

I want to help too. This looks like fun.

Thank you for the support, I am sure it will be a lot of fun to develop and play. To be clear, are you wanting to help with concept design, or are you interested in helping another way? I have a huge task list, so I could keep you busy for a while if you want something steady. PM me with more info.

My apologies everyone, I will need another three days before I am able to start working on this project. I have successfully moved, but setting up my office is taking longer than expected. I will return by the 22nd.

I have updated the OP to include a creative compensation plan for qualified applicants.

I can do stuff like the trees and stuff you gave samples of :slight_smile: I had about 6 months of sketching but got bored with it :slight_smile: Please consider me! Unfortunately I probably can’t do the coloring Gally can, but I’d love try to do the models! :smiley:

Thanks!

Thank you for the support, I would be glad to have you join this project. Do you want to put on your creative hat and come up with various neutral flora, or are you wanting to work on concepts that have already been started? PM me with more info.

This project is still active and I am still accepting applications for the “paid” positions. Please let me know if you would like to support us in any way.

I have made the development files available for everyone to tinker with, have a look and let me know if you want to participate.

We are moving along steadily and are looking for more volunteers. I have given a simple description for everything in the Encyclopedia of Flora and have opened up the Encyclopedia’s of Elements and Fauna to brainstorming and concept work. Please have a look and let me know if you would like to participate.

I would like to participate CaptainAndrew! Let me know details! I will do in Blender and we can try out different outputs and making a beautiful end scene what do you think? ( I can also do other stuff )

We would be glad to have you join the project, I will PM you with more info.

We are still looking for concept artists and modelers to help complete the massive asset list for this project. Please let me know if you want to help with a model or two.

CaptainAndrew, here is that creature I was working on. It’s part zebra, peacock, lion and boar with a little snowleopard pattern (and my cat). Let me know if it qualifies for any of the categories. The mane is made of feathers but the creature doesn’t fly.

Thanks Gally, this looks great! This makes a perfect addition to the neutral fauna as a mythical beast. Feel free to name it, in the mean time I will refer to it as a Feather Maned Chimera. Let me know if you have any questions about what you want to do next.

CaptainAndrew, I decided to try modeling the Floating Fern with alpha textures. When I hit the ‘P’ key the shadows are correct, but when I render it the shadow is cast as a solid. Any idea how to show alpha in the render also? I’ll attach a screenshot so you can take a look (it’s just the 3D view). One more thing, I can’t save my files as .dds. Should I post the blend file? Let me know what you think about the model.