Alien2

I see you don’t want to expose the hacker that entered in the Area51 computers and gave you the image:

I knew this reminded me of someone, it took a while to remember who but it really reminds me of mitch mcconnell for some reason, I think it’s the eyes and mouth.It’s a great job, especially when it’s good enough to remind you of a real person. Gonna do the whole body?

Nice Work !

Bao2 - Hahahaha, nice touch up there, you found me out!

lexx - indeed, he kind of does look like Mitch. Weird!

willettfx - Thanks!

I really love it, I think is one of the best works I have ever seen in the forum, thanks for sharing this.

Of course, it had to be none else than Bao2 who got the cat out of the bag! LOL! :slight_smile:

BTW, for anyone who didn’t get the mitch mcnnel reff, here, see for yourself if I’m wrong about seeing a resemblance.

Wow, thanks for that! I certainly disagree, but that’s very flattering!

lexx - great pic! I should check other politicians for reference next time I sculpt a creature!

Wow, you didn’t base this on mitch mcconnell in the first place? That was just my first assumption. It just looked like it had to be based on him.

2 words…
spec map

Awesome work!! If you get tired someday , try do this for fun : make him smile , i think he is depressed :smiley:
Would it be possible if you made a small tutorial (vid or images) on how you make the Normal maps ? or could you refer a good one?if possible!
i d like to ask You before spamming google searchbar. ^^
Again congrats !

I can show you exactly where I learned it from, BlenderCookie. :slight_smile: They have a couple that are useful. It’s shockingly easy!

Arigato! You are very kind :o

Nice work, but I agree with Ran13, it really does need some maps to control the glossy roughness / colour.

Very nice and original

Thanks for the detailed steps. I didn’t realise it was possible to sculpt first and then retopology… Thats a track I will want to explore.
Congratulations for going off your comfort zone.
This kind of alien is a classic though.

Really thanks for posting all the workflow. It is really helpful.
And the result is amazing!

Thanks, everyone!

And yes, on my next creature, I’ll do spec maps. :slight_smile:

you said you might use pics of politicians as inspiration next time since this one accidentally resembled one. well, here’s a possible inspiration for some creature.

Maybe to enhance the look of the skin you could add subtle veins throughout the surface of the skin. Maybe you could use a pale skinned woman with no makeup on as a reference for the veins. After that it’s really just a matter of choosing the right colour for alien blood. Maybe you could make a height map out of the veins layer as well as color. Are you using a Sub-Surface Scattering shader for the skin? It doesn’t look like you are, this will likely wipe-out any hint of a plastic feel to the skin left after the veins are done.

I’d put a big bushy unibrow on him and maybe a kung-fu-guru goatee but that’s probably too silly for you.