Al Khazneh

Wow this looks amazing!

thanks Speedthriller. What I did was start with a single vertex from a circle. Added an empty where the circle center was and used that as an array object. Rotated the empty 5 degrees and scalled it slightly in the X and Z directions. That give me a series of points in a spiral. I then connected them all with edges to get the shape at the head of the curl. For the tail part, I think I did something similar but with a different scale and then connected them. But it’s been so long I can’t remember exactly how I did it. I should start taking notes:)

Thanks Josh

This is really looking good. Completely believable sandstone. Did you use any image textures or is this completely procedural?

And looking at this intermediary state I wonder how it would look if you use a sightly different stone for the columns capital.

Thanks minoribus. No images used. It is completely procedural. It uses 5 or 6 noises textures and 5 primary colors for the coloring. Then another 3 noise textures for the bumps.

Here are all 6 columns at the base plus the ground floor and stairs textured. Still playing around a lot with some of the coloring. Such as I got rid of the dark area on the column. Its there in reference photos but I decided to go with a more clean look instead.

And here is a closeup of the capital.

I can’t help it… but you’ve managed to get the Indiana Jones theme stuck in my head.

Amazing job though, I wonder how this will look when finished.

That looks amazing! I can’t wait to see the finished project.

Most of the first floor now done.

It’s looking good although I think that the scale of the bump effect on the main walls could be a little less. I can see big cloud like bumps and this is a contrast to the finer grain of the columns.

Yeah I was feeling the same way after I posted it and took a second look. I will have to correct that.

I’m curious how you did the moulding work? Was it with a bevel object and curves, modeling then copying, extruding, etc?

It looks great so far! Love these types of projects.

I did the moulding in a not so great way. Started with a long rectangle and made a few edge cuts, between 4 and 6. Then adjusted each new edge one by one to get the placement I wanted for the final curve. I then had to adjust the end points by the same amounts along the perpendicular axis for the corners. It was rather tedious to do. But once I did one, it was a matter of copying and modifying, so not so bad in the long run.

At first I was using subsurfs to smooth it out. But then I had to set a bunch of edge creases to keep the proper corners. So I replaces the subserf with a bevel modifier which worked a lot better.

Man its been a while since I worked on this. Time for an update.

Really nice texturing work. This immediately reads as sandstone to me.

I wonder why you put away the decorations of the friezes. They are still outstanding, I guess?

Very fine work! Detail are excellent!

minoribus - They are still there. I just hadn’t textured them for this image is all.

Here is the work I have done on the side entrance. Still have a little bit more, but it is 95% there.

The side entrances actually have square pillars. Originally I was not going to do this, but figured what the hell I’ll give it a go. Here is what I came up with.