Al Khazneh

Another shot of the upper level frieze with all detail in place. The cone is simply a placeholder for the real top.

Working on the lower frieze detail now. It’s hard to tell what is going on since there is so much decay in the structure. I can see the cup easy enough and I know there are griffins. But they are so worn out I did a search for references photos and found something that is very different from what is actually on the building but I think looks pretty good. I still have some detail work to do on the tail and maybe adjust the feathers some, but here is what I have so far.

As others mentioned, it’s the small integrate details that really are going to make this project shine. Post #17 gives a real nice impression of where this is going. I’ll look forward to watching it grow.

I just finished details on the first level frieze. Here is a render of everything I’ve got done with improved lighting. Next up is the cone roof.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments and feedback.

It’s getting better with every update. The winged lion and the cup are nice updates.

Thanks minoribus.

Here are 2 more updates. The first is what I cam up with for the top of the central section. The second is a closeup of the lions, showing the new detail I added to the tails.

Looking good, esaari. It would be nice to see some wires for the stucco.

Been working on the doorway for a while now. It is difficult as I cannot find any great reference photos. So had to make some of it up based on what I could see. I plan on doing on the finer details on the wings at the top of the shelf using textures.

minoribus - do you mean the griffons/cup design, or the leaves on the upper roof?

Forgot to post about this before, but also did the little triangle things attached to the cone of the roof. Also managed to find a way to get the roof on the sides to the prism shape. For this I used the shear modifier to get the basic shape and then made manual corrections. Some of the angles may still be a bit off, you can see it in the way the two rows of cubes meet. May try to adjust this at some point in the future.

minoribus - do you mean the griffons/cup design, or the leaves on the upper roof?

Hi, esaari, yes, I meant the griffons and cups. I’d like to see these wires. Good idea to use the shear modifier for the triangle structures. What would you say, how much is left before you can start texturing?

minoribus - The modeling I have left to do is the details on the side doors and then all the statues. I will probably start doing the materials before I take on the statues as they will take a while. And I would like to see this things textured. I will post the wires as soon as I get the chance.

Here it is. I turned off the subsurf since the mesh was too fine with it on.

Thanks for the wires. I guess that you modelled something like a 2D wire and then extruded it? Did you use the wireframe modifier for the last image? Nice to have that in Blender now :slight_smile:

Really nice!
There’s a lot of cool details :wink:

Taking a break on the modeling for some texturing. Here is my early results. What does this look like to everyone?

The lower part with the little damage looks nice to me. You said in the beginning that you will depict this building in a new state and not with much wear and tear. Is that still your plan? Most parts of the column’s capital are still untextured, am I right with this?

minoribus - My plan is still to go new state. So what I have there is pretty experimental. Messing around with a few ideas. I was thinking it may make sense to have a few chips here and there since such a thing can easily happen in construction or soon after. Plus it adds a little bit to it. What do you think?

As for the stuff at the top, I have barely started with them. So for the most part they have no texturing yet.

I’m still figuring out what all I can do with cycles nodes. So there will be a lot of trial and error:)

Yes, Cycles’ node system is a vast land - easy to get lost there :wink: I tend to make the node networks too complex. Often a simpler setup can be more effective.

Been experimenting a lot in the node editor. I think I’ve got something now that is pretty decent. So far I have only applied it to the main part of the column.

This looks really nice! I have one question, how do you model those curls at the top of your columns?