Adobe CS2 for free

Nice find! Got my copy and I’m already liking being back with PS. I liked GIMP for what it was, and it works well, but there’s a lot of really small annoyances with it that always made using it not as intuitive as I’d of liked.

There’s been a time where I remember being told to be wary of things that are almost too good to be true.

Now if this is actually turning out to be legal, that would be great news, but has anyone found a catch in this yet (ie. only for non-commercial use or something of that sort)?

OMG Ubuntu just put up a guide for getting it to run in Wine. It also has an alternative way to downloadfor you guys having trouble getting in, but I haven’t tried it.

Just had the program bug out on me in windows. The program locked up, and I couldn’t end the process. Once I rebooted I found a 61GB photoshop file in my temp folder.

Old software, so I’m not expecting much, but it was weird.

in many aspects CS1 and CS2 is better then CS6

I’m really suspecting one (or both) of two things.

1 - This version is at end of life, end of support, end of wanting to maintain resources for it that they’ve shut down the server for it and have given customers a way to register it permanently. However, someone missed the fact that it’s issuing keys and downloads for anyone with an Adobe ID, purchased or not.

2 - They figure that letting go of something that old will get new user wanting more features and hence increase the desire to upgrade.

It just smells of an error on thier part to me, but who knows? I would think if it’s done in error, there may be a case for any unpurchased download to be invalid. Has anyone looked at an EULA in the install files?

New download links direct:

Found an article from Cnet about this.
Looks like it’s legit.

Edit: Found another that re-establishes the confusion.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2013/01/07/download-adobe-cs2-applications-for-free/

Adobe giving away something for free… um, no. This was an error from the start.

uhh, looks like this whole debacle wasn’t intended at all:

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated …
You have heard wrong! Adobe is absolutely not providing free copies of CS2!

What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software, copies of CS2 that don’t require activation but do require valid serial numbers are available. (Special serial numbers are provided on the page for each product download.) See <http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1114930&gt;.

You are only legally entitled to download and install with that serial number if you have a valid license to the product!

- Dov

here’s that thread - http://forums.adobe.com/message/4974775#4974775

edit: ah sorry, that’s what your second link was referring to. :slight_smile:

Hah, beat me to it. I just saw that. I’d hate to be the guy that made that blunder. It was on virtually every art/graphics site I visit and most tech blogs picked it up as well as being free.

I think there’s some confusion as to the legitimacy. " Dov Isaacs wrote:

What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software, copies of CS2 that don’t require activation but do require valid serial numbers are available. (Special serial numbers are provided on the page for each product download.) See <http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1114930>.

You are only legally entitled to download and install with that serial number if you have a valid license to the product!

- Dov "  (Edit) woops  looks like this went up while I was posting. My Bad

The tone in that forum thread is interesting as well. Wonder if any one there is listening? [SUB](sarcastic giggle)[/SUB]

Either another major embarrassing blunder on Adobe’s part, or a genius marketing move?

Time will tell.

This will definately cause some feathers to be unraveled.What I want to know is was the software that was downloaded able to be installed and used?

If it is indeed the biggest blunder ever made by adobe it’s hilarious.

But considering that Adobe -gives- you the serial and download link as soon as you register an account without you having to do anything dodgy anywhere, i wonder if it’s not indeed a marketing move as i can’t see how it is possible to make such disastrous mistake.

The new of Adobe releasing photoshop CS2 for free has been on nearly all over the internet news websites, i can’t even imagine the amount of downloads there have been all over the world.
At that point to save the face they should just openly say they’re giving it away, it would not cost them much of anything as it’s a version that is out of date in term of features and functions in comparison to their recent CS releases.

Honestly, Adobe could have removed the direct links ages ago now - but they haven’t. They still work as I write this, so…

Perhaps this is a test to find out about the number of people that would download Photoshop and the other products if it were a sponsored product in some way, i.e. free for download.

If this is a major goof, why keep the direct downloads alive?

But if they clam up and not release it, this could back-fire on them. It’s only good marketing if it makes you or the product look good.
To me it’s like holding onto magazines from the 70’s just so no one else can see them.

What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software, copies of CS2 that don’t require activation but do require valid serial numbers are available. (Special serial numbers are provided on the page for each product download.) See <http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1114930&gt;.

• Dov

Well, shucks.

I bet somebody is getting fired for this. Poor guy, whoever he is.

Rumor has it that the Adobe Execs are scrambling to decide what to do about this hilarious goof-up.

These CS2 versions that do not phone home and can be activated with the magic serial number have been available for some time on their website for registered users, and this “news” only went viral in the last 12 hours, or so?

Perhaps owning up to the mistake, and releasing it for free publicly would be Adobe’s best option.

Btw, that link that was available just a half hour ago is no longer there:

I believe the blogger is now concerned Adobe will fry his butt over it:

CGTalk thread:
Originally Posted by Terri Stone (listed as an Adobe Staffer, Online Community Manager)

<i>  	Quote:
[TABLE="width: 100%"]

Originally Posted by <b>union_bug</b>
			[I]Well, that's just great! I don't want  to use illegal software, and I'm not going to use it now, BUT...I  downloaded what I thought was  free software to my work computer. I  never installed it, but still. Are there plans to crucify those of us  who believed the Lifehacker postings on twitter? or any other of the  bazillion sites touting it as a free download?</i>

[/TABLE]

I don’t think you have to worry about Adobe coming after you for this, union_bug.

As soon as our execs have approved an official statement on this issue, I or another Adobe staffer will post it here.
[/I]

Someone’s going to be out of a job at Adobe by tomorrow, I warrant.