Adobe CS2 for free

yes it is because MAC OSX is linux so…

Yeah, it seems like it’s the log-in that’s being hammered too hard - probably will be up and down throughout the day.

Still CS 1 and CS 2 are the most stable fully working photoshops on market…

Not so…
Just a warning for mac users. This installer works under OSX 10.4 only. You can transfer the installed app to any other later OSX but that’s all.
But I agree, it’s a much better app than gimp. As for linux users, find a way to run it (wine) or any other simulator. It will perform better than gimp under X11 on OSX. (yes, I tried new gimp builds, no comments)

With a program suite 8 (eight!!!) years old, which says a lot about the outcome of GIMP developers just-say-no attitude.

As soon as the dust settles down (a week at least) I will get the thing and kiss goodbye to GIMP :D.

Thank you, dear Befana!

I wonder if this offer was meant to be available to existing CS2 owners only and the servers were shut down on purpose… Oh well, I guess time will tell.

good luck

It is even more possible that we’ll remember this as the day that Adobe started to die.

It is possible that this is a great move on their part. But it is also possible that this will be a monumental failure for them. Once people have a free version that is “good enough” it will be hard to convince them to spend real money to get something only a bit better. Like the difficulty Microsoft has in convincing corporate clients of Office to upgrade to newer version.

I actually think that that isn’t an intended give-away, as the download sites are deliberately taken offline, not simply not loading for being hammered.

I’ll chew my own ass off if I don’t get serials :smiley:

Some people are still getting in occasionally though. I can’t log on their site at all, so I think it’s their log-in server that is being overloaded rather than the actual downloads.

The news about the various applications of the CS2 era being made free legally is now on every boards of the interweb, so Adobe servers are being hammered.

The login works fine (for me but I already had an account), the download page just instantly says it’s unavailable. Like I said, sounds like taken offline rather than overloaded.

EDIT: hmm. also the search is not working. I guess they have a connection limit and beyond that they throw a page unavailable rather than trying to serve the page…

CS2 was way before Camera Raw, all of the new Filters, Content Aware, Bridge, and numerous other improvements. I think quite alot of people that have tried the newer versions might do what I’ve done and go ahead and buy the Creative Cloud package for 52 bucks a month. When you add what it costs just to update Photoshop alone every year, financially speaking, you’re farther ahead to go with the Creative Cloud that gives you access to the entire, regularly updated, Creative Suite package. That’s 18 to 20 apps with upgrades for 52 bucks a month.

“Once people have a free version that is “good enough” it will be hard to convince them to spend real money to get something only a bit better. Like the difficulty Microsoft has in convincing corporate clients of Office to upgrade to newer version.” - Harley

Yeah, I gotta think that CS2 would cover the needs of 90-95% of what people use an image editor for ( plus the other apps) when creating content. It just doesn’t smell right.

Actually, no. Mac OS X is based on BSD… and that certainly is not Linux. Outside of running through WINE, Photoshop has not ever (and likely, won’t ever) been released for any Linux distribution.

You guys seem to forget an important point.
If CS2 covers the needs of one now he’ll use it. If it doesn’t anymore at one point, he’ll buy Adobe products. Why? Because that’s what he know and what he learned with.
And if you’re getting more serious and are a student, there’re always the educational versions.

Now you can finance your educational version with work from the free version and finance the full license with work from the educational version :wink:

Nah. OSX is Goulash in a nice can :smiley:

OS X is based on NeXTSTEP, which is a unix-like. NeXTSTEP is based on the Mach Kernel and BSD. The mach kernel however was a replacement for the BSD version of UNIX. In the end the circle closes. And all’s mixed up good.

But OSX is neither UNIX, nor BSD, or it’s both… rip out the tasty guts from various things and put in in a nice gift wrapping :smiley:
Goulash in a nice can :smiley:

Agree with the rest though, but it might change with Steam pushing gaming towards Linux. This might impact the whole software market.

Agreed. The main point I was making is that it’s definitely not Linux :stuck_out_tongue: And as long as Adobe continues to refrain from making releases on Linux, GIMP will still be far from dead. And even a change in those circumstances isn’t likely to kill GIMP (for a plethora of reasons).

But I’m veering off-topic… The stated motivation for this move is interesting, particularly in the light of the Adobe Creative Cloud announcement earlier this year.

It is still accessable, just managed to get back into it, but it’s very slow.
Grabbed a list of all the keys this time just in case!

Microsoft isn’t much different. Dreamspark, MSDNAA, VS Express.
You can use all their tools during education, VS Express even commercially, and their compiler and debugger is great, and you can’t argue that VS is the best IDE around (with visual assist at least :smiley: )

There are many good FOSS alternatives, yet a majority of developers use VS, Visio… Why, learned it, know it.

Autodesk? They don’t need that. They pretty much sit on a monopoly and if a competitor arrives they eat him :smiley:

A lot of them are moving to subscription plans. Adobe has their Creative Cloud, and I think Autodesk has something too. I think they like it because it weeds out those of us who tend to buy one version and sit on it for a decade without upgrading. If I was still doing web dev professionally I’d definitely do the Adobe one, because you get a ton of stuff with it. The CS2 Suite doesn’t even have half of what they offer now.

ooo! thx for that info, have to check it because one of my friends was telling me that MAC is basicly on linux core.