[ADDON] Material IO + Material Library

Hi Jacob!
After installing the addon I tried to export/import material without success yet :slight_smile: Do you know what this error mean?

Normally this error is from some character in a node name not being supported by the XML format, could you post your node setup in a .blend file?

Of course, below is the blend file link from wetransfer. It is a simple node tree that consists of a diffuse and glossy shader

http://we.tl/cFmHH48eNt

Ok, I can export and import this material just fine on my computer, so the question is, what is your operating system? Also, try using this version, and if that version works could you upload that .bmat file that it creates.

Hi!
This second version is better. Some materials can be exported but some ones not. Do You know what the error ‘index 0 out of range’ relates to? I tested export on different commercial node groups. So unfortunately I 'm not allowed to attach these files

My system is Windows 8.1. and sorry for the delay!

This is an odd error, I know you can’t post the node setup directly, but could you upload a screen shot of it so I can see if there is something directly that might be causing it. You can submit it as a bug report here and just attach it as a file. If the licensing doesn’t permit you to do that, then let me know.

I just sent you printscreens on your bug report site

Thanks! I’ll take a look

I sent you an email a little over a week ago with an updated version, so if you could let me know if that version works. I figured out why the complex node setup wasn’t exporting/importing properly. I am posting version 1.2 here, which is basically what I emailed you.

Just released version 1.3, just be more stable now.

thankyou!

very usefull script!

Ok, thread has been a little dormant while I have been busy with school, but Thanksgiving break is here and winter break is not far away, so time for some updates! I have moved development from Google Drive to GitHub, so here is the link: https://github.com/BlendingJake/MaterialIO. I made some major internal changes that get rid of a couple hundred lines of code and I also updated to support up to 2.78 which has some new nodes. Over the next day or two I am going to re-work some other parts to simplify the code and make it a little more stable.

UPDATE: Over the last two days, I have made some very huge changes to how Material IO functions. This has caused a loss of backward compatibility. The technical reason for this is that the file is now JSON not XML, which has huge benefits in terms of ease of use and simplicity. The justification for these changes is the new direction that I want to take Material IO in. I have re-written substantial parts of the code that makes it much easier for non-material node trees to be exported and imported. My goal being that this add-on will morph into a NodeTree IO. Hopefully making it so node trees from add-ons like Animation Nodes and Sverchok could be exported and imported with only slight tweaks to the code. I am going to continue optimizing the code over the next few weeks with that goal in mind. Also, it is likely that I will rename the add-on, because of these changes. So these are some of the things that will hopefully happen over the coming weeks.

awesome news :slight_smile:

Quick update, I have updated how the add-on is organized so that it is easier to add new node tree types. The add-on has been moved. It is now located in the Properties Panel in the Node Editor. So far I have gotten Cycles, Blender Render, and Mitsuba node trees working. Which is what I previously supported. Going forwards I am going to work on Animation Nodes and Sverchok, which because of the changes to how the add-on works shouldn’t be horribly hard. Most importantly I have renamed the add-on to NodeIO and so GitHub url is now https://github.com/BlendingJake/NodeIO. Once I get Animation Nodes added, I will create a new thread.

Thanks , for the new update :eyebrowlift2: