[ADDON] Material IO + Material Library

hi Jacob Morris,
I’ll, have to test this out.
check out my matlibs & feel free to use any you like.
I’m really interested in getting a decent materials i/o into Blender.
can you drop into irc freenode #blenderpython for a chat?

Thanks.

thank you again for update 0.8 version has now cleaner UI

No problem, did you change your post? Because you asked for support for Generic Note Node, I just added that, so check out version 0.9.

hello again
yes ive decided to change my post because it might be burden or time taking to request such function

i always use notepad ( cheat sheet list of value and ior for different types of material ) + blender when creating or experimenting new node setup

and i find switching between application reduce workflow speed
but now i can use one application and put my notes easily and organize … no more notepad open

thank you again for compatibility and update

edit :
hi im having problem

im using mountain lion 10.8.5 + latest build bot of blender

i tried this method ( reset factory ) it might fix problem and I activate only generic note node + material IO

but unfortunately the note node is not successfully imported only material node setup is imported

What that message means is that Generic Note Node is not enabled, or that is what it should mean. This is possibly a Windows vs Mac thing, so if you wouldn’t mind opening Blender, opening the Python Console in one of the areas, and entering this text and hitting enter: bpy.context.user_preferences.addons.keys()

Then copying the results, which should look something like this:
[‘io_scene_3ds’, ‘io_scene_fbx’, ‘io_anim_bvh’, ‘io_mesh_ply’, ‘io_scene_obj’, ‘io_scene_x3d’, ‘io_mesh_stl’, ‘io_mesh_uv_layout’, ‘io_curve_svg’, ‘cycles’, ‘archimesh’, ‘theme_export’, ‘curve_convert’, ‘add_mesh_grating4’, ‘jarch_vis0_4’, ‘measureit’, ‘generic_note’, ‘material_io’]
And post them here.

hi again thank you for quick response this is the list ( load factory setting )

>>> bpy.context.user_preferences.addons.keys()
[‘io_scene_3ds’, ‘io_scene_fbx’, ‘io_anim_bvh’, ‘io_mesh_ply’, ‘io_scene_obj’, ‘io_scene_x3d’, ‘io_mesh_stl’, ‘io_mesh_uv_layout’, ‘io_curve_svg’, ‘cycles’, ‘io_material0_9’, ‘genericnote’]

>>>

[SUB]i use mainly mac for photoshop and paint program but
i will try tomorrow windows for blender and check if i encounter problem and i report back

if it will work i will just use Windows for 3D application blender
thank you
[/SUB]

Edit : ( problem is solve )

Hi i redownload the script ( generic_note.py ) and its now working i notice that in console ‘genericnote’ instead of generic_note

thank you again for help
this update makes the addon add more productivity i really appreciate the update

I want this to be cross-platform, the only difference is on yours it is “genericnote” on mine it is “generic_note” I will just allow for both. I just re-uploaded version 0.9, so try downloading it again and see if it works now.

its working perfectly now thank you again for time and help

No problem, if you ever have a feature request feel free to ask.

it’s a great addon and works well with cycles node’s materials :slight_smile:
would you support mitsuba nodes too in your script ?

It should be relatively easy to add these features, although I haven’t used Mitsuba before. I’ll look into implementing it though, thanks for the suggestion.

The Mitsuba Render engine is now supported.

Thank you @Jacob_Morris for the implementation of Mitsuba node in your addon.
Just little 2 things to add if it is possible to simplify navigation through exported material :
1-make a jpg/or png preview of the material in the created folder when exporting ,for example using data previews in blender file menu

2-detect texture(s) bitmaps from the scene/ hard drive and put them in the same folder as .bmat file (it can be compressed)
Thank you again for your effort :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions! Two is completely do-able and I will try and have to done and released by Wednesday or Thursday. Number 1, however, is not something I’m sure I can do. I am not sure where the material preview files are stored, if they are stored locally at all.

I just added image support within the Mitsuba Render Engine. Check out version 1.1.

Thank you @Jacob_Morris for the new realease of the addon , for the creation of textures(for mitsuba tasks) in export and import the addon work like a charm but there is a little problem in “naming folder and materials with “______””.this type of naming makes blender crashes for me

i don’t know if it is possible to keep the name of the new material the same as the original material.

Couple questions:

1. Why are you using “_____” instead of a letter bases name?
  2. Does Blender crash, or does the add-on give an error message?
  3. Can you submit this info here and attach one of the .bmat files so I can take a look at it.

I tested using the name “_____” and the some stuff in the .bmat file looks weird, but it imports just fine for me.

Ok, I did find an issue in my code, I uploaded an updated version, it should fix the issues.

I have tested the new version 1.1 and it works without errors …Thank you @Jacob_Morris for your effort and your time :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it!