[Addon] Layer manager for Blender 2.63a

I’ve correct a bug and add the show index option:

I posted at blendernations as Flow4 and here is a new MOCKUP for another “hackish” unlimited layers system with full blender compatibility (untouched blender C code)

It work bit different than your system.
It is designed for unlimited number of layers (!)
I know, here are some limitations with renderlayers.
But simple renders should work as it is

This is a separate virtual layer system that is based on blender’s 20 layers
1 layer is reserved to hide objects. 19 layer to show objects.

undefined layer: for objects with no layer-informations.
every object must have a layer-property with assigned layer-name
every object can assigned only to one layer

Yup. I did that. Did it again just now when I upgraded to version 0.8.

Okay; thanks for clearing that up. I’ve done the same thing myself. :spin:

Here’s a screenshot with my version of a default scene. It contains no meshes, only a camera, one light and an Empty. There’s also a Track To constraint aiming the light and camera at the Empty:

As you can see, only the first ten layers show up.

And here everything is exactly the same except I’ve loaded a file I was working on before upgrading to 0.8:

Here, all twenty layers are shown.

And for completeness, here is my default scene after adding a cube:

All twenty layers are now shown. Interesting, eh?

BTW, this is not a show-stopper IMHO.

The other thing, annoying but again not a show-stopper, is that the ‘N’ panel auto-scrolls to the top (which is in actual fact, a ‘jump’) when clicking the checkbox for any populated layer, whether it’s being made visible or non-visible.

Overall, though, I really, really like this! If you hadn’t written it, I would have. Of course, that would mean learning Python and that would have taken a while.

EDIT: I upgraded to 0.9 and had the same results.

Is it possibly the inherited property is: ID.users ?

Hi,
i suggest to move the layer’s manager script into the scene panel ! the 3D panels (T and N) are over used !!!

x rontarrant: the problem is (I suppose) that you don’t have an active object in scene, you probably have found a bug :D.
x TS1234: Ok, but after you can’t use the other layer default options. And render layer?

x uriel: I can’t, because when you unlock camera e layer views, you can work with the layer only in the contex 3d_View.

Thank you anfeo, this clarifies and simplifies my life greatly.

Correct the bug for rontarrant:

Thanks for this great add-on!

In nobody requested it before, here I go: would it be possible to hide layers that don’t contain any object? This could help for the issues Rontarrant and Uriel wrote about.

Grande Anfeo! :slight_smile:

This option is called Hide Empty :D.

Thanks, anfeo. It shows all layers right away.

BTW, the Hide Empty feature is a great idea. So is the Select All in This Layer button. This is really well thought out.

Thanks for this useful add-on anfeo.

Btw, UI design needs some love. Buttons mixed up…

http://i.imgur.com/kD5DP.jpg

Hi Anfeo,

Just one small thing: I liked the layer visibility in 0.9 better than the one 1.0; not having to hold down Shift is a plus IMHO.

If you downlaod the 0.9 version, I have fixed the same bug of the 1.0. Only difference is the layer visibility, some people like one and others like the other, for now any bugs that found, I will fix in the two version ;).

hi, anfeo, I think you should look at the proposal of TS1234 (post#23) since he is proposing very good way of managing unlimited layers, which will have the most flexibility and will worth the effort in the long run! it is the way that shapekeys, vertex groups and many other things in Blender are organized. and you can still add some properties per layer too, like visibility, selectability and renderability toggles!

Excellent. I did actually go back to 0.9; I just didn’t want to say anything so as not to hurt your feelings.

Excuse me ,i don’t know about this proyect .
It’s for sculpt layers ??

I don’t know about sculpt layers, sorry.

I love this script. I have been waiting for this since 2.49 was replaced by 2.5 There use to be a layer manager script in 2.49 but it did ont work with 2.5 I used it all the time and I missed the functionality.

and how does it work???.