[Addon] EWOCprojects presents EdgeTune3

Easy one that one, as so often a small oversight and forgot to copy over some code to the bit that does the user interaction. Safe flight to the site!

Wow…now that was fast…working good on my end now, I’ll let you know if I find any other bugs.:evilgrin:

Not really a bug but more of a feature request (uh oh) Could you make it so that you can only slide verts. that are facing the screen…because if you don’t have this and you try to do something like this:

The addon slides the verts. that are not facing the screen in fact it always slides the ones that are on the backside of the object every time. The way to get around this currently is to just select the part of the edge loop that is facing the screen and then use edge tune.

As always keep up the awesome work.:ba:

Yes JSM you really know how to illustrate your remarks…

I think your feature request is a good idea, so I tried implementing it. It took several attempts at tackling the problem but I did it and a new-featured EdgeTune is on the site. It does not work perfectly though, you will have different results depending on the selection mode (vert, edge, face) you’re in, I advice on staying in vert mode for best results. Edges going from a vert on the object edge to its back will still be highlighted red. This together with a fix for it working the same in other selection modes, will only be possible to apply after Blender coders solve a current bug with the BMesh.select_mode construct.
Also you can switch back-vertice visibility on in the Blender interface and the addon will adapt to also select the back-verts in this mode as could/should be expected.

Let me know what you all think, overandaout.

Nice, as a hardsurface modeler this is damn handy !

This script has great potential. IMO, the only thing it is missing to make it truly great is real-time feedback from the mesh while using Edge Tune. For example, when you invoke Edge Slide you get realtime feedback from the mesh even before the changes are committed. If Edge Tune had this is would really allow you to make fluid changes to your mesh, that would almost feel like sculpting.

Of course, not being a programmer, I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement. :slight_smile:

Dear sirs, your wish is my command lol: since its way easier in Python with the new API to undo changes of the addon when cancelling, it is indeed a good idea to have realtime feedback on the mesh, especially when using subsurf for example, so you can see where the real edges are going in addition to the control edges. Well, I’ve done it and as you’d expect: new version on the site, download as much as desired…

Be sure to download the latest, theres another bugfix, realtime update didnt work correctly.
JSM: the update of moved vertices is now realtime on the mesh while making changes, so I do not really understand about the bug you are experiencing, make sure you download the latest!
I’ll check your addon request proposal in a few minutes, first needed to mend EdgeTune.

Also, regarding the remark and proposal for occlusion feature, I would like some opinions here: would you like the occlusion to constantly update or be set once, after which you can work on your initial occluded selection from different sides, which also has its advantages, or a checkbox in the tools panel maybe? And which behaviour should then be the standard one?

Constantly update would be my choice. A check box would work fine to enable it (I think the check box to use this feature should be enabled by default though.)

You are the best! This script is working absolutely great with the realtime feedback!

For those wishing to hotkey this script (these instructions might be handy in the little doc section at the top of the script; hint, hint):

In the Input section of User Preferences at the bottom of the 3D View > Mesh section click ‘Add New’ button
In the Operator Identifier box put ‘mesh.edgetune’
Assign a hotkey (I used Alt+T)
Save as Default (Optional)
Enjoy!

Thanks again for this great script!

As followup, I think it may be time to ask: Has Chromoly’s Vertex Slide finally been equaled?

I am currently using them side by side and actually find that I slightly prefer Edge Tune! I thought it would be a loooooong time before I would say that about another script. Especially when it comes to moving more than one vert/edge at a time. Edge Tune’s individual control of moving each vert feels more intuitive - especially now that it has realtime feedback of the mesh.

mmmmh… ok… i’m testing now with a simple sphere with a single edge loop selected.
good when you slide the edges but… is this view dependent?
because i can’t modify the edges behind what i see…

It is view dependent…uncheck limit selection to visible and it should work fine:).
I.E.

Ugly hacking into Blender Python space takes us to a new version of EdgeTune: it now has an “Auto Occlusion” checkbox that when checked, will have the occlusion code update whenever you change view. Uncheck to keep your initial occlusion data.
You’ll notice the background turns black whenever you use auto occlusion and change view, this is due to me hacking a bit to much on the Blender callback system.
Still, for me it works. Maybe you have more obstrusive side-effects with the new version, its possible, let me know…

After this script I think I am starting to like star wars ewoks. I never thought that possible!

Black screen like you said…only other thing I’ve noticed is a bit of a slow down when rotating (with more complex meshes) but it works. Great job:ba::ba::ba:

i’ll try… thank you.

there’s no a local undo. so if you make a mistake, you have to return the edge in the original position manually.
working with “see through” activated is hard when you have a complex mesh. is very easy to take a wrong edge.
the undo operation, reset all the edges in their previous position.
bye :slight_smile:

Thank you for the hint HiRes, you had a good idea there. I love it when people find interesting ways of making my program better. So from now on pressing Ctrl-Z during EdgeTune operation will reset the last edge you were editing to the values it had when you started editing it…

Have fun!

Best MikeJ, and I appreciate the responsiveness of my users, you know, I enjoy coding!

So I put your feature request in, it works like this: when you left-select an edge, as long as you keep the mouse button pressed, this edge will turn “active”, which means it acts like it extends beyond its bounds and you can just leftbutton-cross it like normal edges beyond the end-verts. Whenever crossing another edge, this new edge will turn active, this way the UI doesnt become unreliable because of too many “sensitive” edges.
Also I put the hotkey documentation in the script as suggested.

If you have any more requests, coming from Chromolys or whereever, be sure to ask, Ill check Chromolys in a minute.