[Addon] EWOCprojects presents Chromolys Ruler update

New version 2.0.8 now handles occlusion of verts/edges/faces when snapping. For this to work switch to wireframe mode for being able to access elements on the back of the mesh. Reason I dont use the Visibility setting is that this only works in EDITmode…

could you make it turn to wireframe by pressing Z in the Ruler-mode ?

Z has been reserved at the moment for snap to Z axis…
Some other key?

could a button with wireframe could appear on the Ruler box from the right panel ?

i think there is no need for it now. wireframe can be switched from dislpay mode button.

Done. Tickbox at bottom right enables wireframe on/off.

Ok I will ask this here since I posted these same questions in the older thread.

Ok some simple questions.

#1 what is the “Ctrl-Shift-R” Mode and what does it do?
#2 What is “2D snapping” and how does it differ from "3d snapping:?
#3 What is the “2D spacetype”?

I am sure I will have more questions as I read backward thru this thread and start using the script in depth.

1. Ctrl-Shift-R" Mode - lets you enter in draw (dimensions) mode. press H to see all the commands (they should be on yellow on the left side of the 3d view)
  2. by snapping to vertices. faces and edges you can draw dimensions to active object(s) by pressing S for 2d snap or shift+s for 3d snap to vertex/edge/face. 2d snapping works only on orto view / 3d works only on perspective view. to snap to other objects in scene that are not selected, you can press the O key. this way you can snap with the ruler on every object.
  3. spacetype, i dunno, but i’m guesing you could understand how ruler work by reading the above 2 points.

Ok thanks. I do not remember what mode this is in but sometime when the cursor has crosshairs that comes out of the top and side of the 3d viewport I will left click and a circle with numbers attaches to the cursor and gets bigger and smaller as I move the mouse. What is that?

not really sure. explain more.

after I press ctrl-shift-r

New version online, now releases axis-snap after current measure action. Also note axis snap must be enabled after clicking leftmouse to start a measurement. First enabling axis snap and after starting measuring will not work anymore.

Is the ruler script off. If you look at the image below you will see that the 0.0 point of the ruler is about .25 blender uniits to the left of where it should be based on the blender grid and vertically it is .4 blender units above the z axis = 0 point.

yes, it doesn’t work well. Paleajed, can you save us? :slight_smile:

Hmm, well, this one is all about choices : the way Ruler is implemented at the moment, the (0, 0, 0) point of the ruler is always in the middle of the current view so when you pan the view left or right, the readings will not be exactly on the Blender grid, this is normal. The reason this is so is because of depth : when in 2D mode Ruler will have its 0 depth point also on the view center instead of parallel to (0, 0, 0) because when using Blender grid origin, measurements could be very far away from the viewer or even not in the view.

i think the best way is to have it show the measurements in 3d space accurately, not screen. when modeling we use the global space. The screen space is used only in 2d applications like gimp or photoshop. As far as i’m concerned, the way the yellow rulers are seem like an error. I see no purpose for them what so ever :slight_smile:
so please Paleajed, make them use the scene measures, not screen

I disagree. I work in the 3d ortho view all the time. That is why I was so glad when palajed updated chromoley’s ruler. I needed something to show me where things were in terms of distance and what size they were in that view. I just moved the scree of each other view to fit the ruler and saved it as my default. It would be nice if there were some sort of toggle that would move the ruler to the origin or the origin to the ruler.

It would be nice if there were some sort of toggle that would move the ruler to the origin or the origin to the ruler.

Most interesting idea, Ill be looking at the implementation!

yeah, i shall say moving the ruler to the origin, would be a real help. not sure the other way around…

Well as long as you are looking into that. How about a toggle checkbox that would scale the ruler as you scale the 3d window. this would probably have to operate independantly in each window If you have a quad view like me or a toggle checkbox to have it NOT scale for each window.

All these suggestions are probably very complex to do in code. I probably have no idea of the amount of work that is required to implement some of these suggestion. So let me say right now thanks palajed for all your work.