[Addon] EWOCprojects presents Chromolys Ruler update

for example activate snaping by pressing [s] and deactivate whit the same shortcut

maybe the problem is with shortcuts, I have the following configuration

• Alt [rotate], alt + shift [pan], alt + ctrl [zoom]

in 3d ALT+LMB do nothing , i mean no set point, and ocasionally doesn’t snaps at all. so not working :expressionless:

AlexDS I’m experimenting the same behavior we need a better worflow for activating snap
like pressing [s] activated snapping or other letter not pressing a function key

perhaps with the S key will work for 2d snapping, Paleajed ? and Shift+ S for 3d/

AlexDS : whats your idea about snap elements: all together or switching selection mode?

OK, this brought along more problems than expected, but now snap works with toggle on/off keys: “S” for 2D snapping and “Shift-S” for 3D snapping. The Scale shortcut has been changed to “N”.

Really, really impressive piece of work. You seriously rock!

AlexDS: ok I made a beginning with support for X/Y/Z axis snap

Press X/Y/Z hotkey to toggle snap on that axis. Note that when the axis is perpendicular with the screen (into the depth) mousemove will almost have no effect on the distance. Thats because the mouse only has an x and y coordinate and its impossible to on first sight see how “deep” it goes. I could fix this at some moment, but that would ask for a much more thorough understanding of chromolys code, something which Im not up to at the moment… Just transform the view (rotate it) until the axis you want to move on is parallel to the screen, thatll fix it!

As a consequence of this, deleting measurements is now done with Q / Shift-Q !

it’s work great thanks paleajed your a genius

So this is the new thread. We that use the plugin should be following developements in this thread rather then the old one?

By the way. Thanks palajed for all you work on this. I can now get rid of that old version of chromoly’s version of 2.56.

Yes all comments go here as do questions, bugs, feature requests etc

I still have confusion on a LOT of the features of this script. BUT I am just glad palajed updated it to work with 2.63. I will detail one by one my question about the script in the next few days. For now it is sufficent just to have the rulers on the side and top of a 3d viewport

now everything seem to work just fine, but i don’t really understand what the D key does to the ruler. what’s it’s effect on the dimensions?

i also really wish that the Ruler have the ability to snap even in the Edit mode, when modeling a single object. Problem is S doesn’t work. I am trying to find a unused key but it seems there isn’t. blender already has everything mapped to the keyboard :-s

there are some more features that the Ruler could have, an i hope later in this day to have the time to make an explanatory video of these. This Ruler could rock blender even more!

thank you paleajed!

as i am testing it right now, i see lots of possibilities of how this baby could be improved. can’t wait to make the explanatory video :>

AlexDS : the D key switches how measurements are displayed when set with Shift and then transforming the view (eg. transforming it) - when in 3D mode the measurement will remain the same when you rotate, the 2D mode will show the measurement length relative to screen space…

Also the Edit mode problem, this was due to hide info of verts of bmesh being opposite of normal mesh : so it thought all verts were hidden… Fixed!

Also the Edit mode problem, this was due to hide info of verts of bmesh being opposite of normal mesh : so it thought all verts were hidden… Fixed!

Seems this is only so for revisions before 46803 : fixed to work with all revisions now !

Paleajed, please do so in SOLID MODE it only snaps to visible vertecies, edges, faces, and only in WIREFRAME mode to snap to every vertex, edge, face, like usually select mode works in blender by default. The way it works now is very unprecise.

also: can you make MEASURE MODE by CTRL+R since is easier to type and not ctrl+shift+r? it think would be the best

everything seems to work just fine.

please make this: SOLID MODE it only snaps to visible vertecies, edges, faces, and only in WIREFRAME mode to snap to every vertex, edge, face, like usually select mode works in blender by default

Paleajed, i have another request: can you make so we could choose to which element to snap the cursor so there wouldn’t be any confusion.

maybe by having buttons like in this mockup: to have the ability to shift+LMB on more than one snapping button.

Thanks for reminding, it slipped my mind : there are now tick boxes for Verts, Edges and/or Faces snap.