[Addon] Blend Library - Asset manager for materials, objects and nodes

Thank you! happy you find it useful :slight_smile:
I did it first only for node groups but it was really fast to add it also in the 3d view for objects.

I will add also as soon as possible the possibility to add objects in link mode on the cursor. I suppose I just should make the object instance as a proxy to move it. Iā€™ll do some tests in the week.

For the lost material in Windows OS, I still donā€™t know why it behaves like that. It could be a bug of Blender but I need to do more tests, and try reproduce it by hand to see how to solve that. Again, if someone knows something about that, donā€™t hesitate to tell me.

I released a new version of the script with custom paths that can be save in the blend file and switch with the global paths, plus some new features such as the possibility to assign material from the library list and to add node directly on the tree.

There is now a wiki page on the Blender website : http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Blend_Library

Something like github? noā€¦ I should do that but Iā€™m not familiar with that things. If you have any advice, please tell me :slight_smile:

great addon, but please, add @poll for node editor panel to exclude Sverchok node tree from it.

Good idea, I will include it for the next release :slight_smile:

I updated the script : v0.3.1
Multi selection in the objects library mode is available with checkbox and selected item only is imported if no checkbox is used.

Great work! everything is working so nicely now Thank you

Asset management has been a long-running headache for me and I gladly embrace any attempt to make it better.
This looks like a useful tool, although it mostly automates the manual tasks that I would do anyway.

Two things:
-After assigning material to an object the object is deselected. Tedious if Iā€™m scrolling through different materials looking for a fit.
-How about a preview mode? Appending and linking is till permanent on a blend file and Iā€™d rather not accumulate a bunch of materials that I have rejected looking for a good one. And it could potentially be simpler and yet more relevant to select the object of interest (during render-mode display) and see out it looks, THEN import/link. I realize this could be real mess for materials that have images.
-Previewing might be useful too for objects.
Anyway, nice job!

I think there working on something similar in goosberry?

I tried to so something but without good results. First, I think that Blender canā€™t preview a material if itā€™s not imported yet. So I tried to use an image instead. For example, if the file that is scanned is called wood_material.blend, the image file could be wood_material.jpg. There were some issues with that. The first one is that we have to save the image manually, which is not an issue but we have to keep it in mind. Then, the preview wasnā€™t refreshing correctly. I donā€™t know why it is refreshing well in the material panel but in the Tool shelf, I had to resize the preview window to get the new image loaded refreshed. And finally, itā€™s working only with a blender texture, so I have to create a texture with an image that will be include in the blend file and I donā€™t really like this solution. If someone have a good idea to do that, I will be happy to try it!

If I understood well, the BF is working on something that goes way beyond a simple file library system. They want to do a Shotgun software like with tasks for artists, review, notes, versioning, etc and an html fontend that could be online.

The goal of my script is not that big, itā€™s just a way to store blend file in a folder and append or link them really easily without doing it manually for each item (shift+f1 or ctrl+alt+o to find the right file could be very annoying). You can for example put a node pack like this one in a folder and directly use it in Blender.

Thank you so much, this script is amazing! I would just be able to to read the sub-folders but thats not a big issue. The real issue now is that i need to organize properly all my file with right object name and groups! :smiley:

Hey! thanks a lot! great addon! works really well!
I have a question. Is there an option that when you link and object (not append) i could be already movable ? I mean when you link you canā€™t move the object you have to make it local in object panel. I think it should only link the mesh data nad the object position etc.

This is a brilliant addon, just what Blender needs, I particularly like the materials part of the library. Thank you for your hard work, and for sharing your work.
Brad.

Hi, I really like your addon, you do a very great job!
Do you think you could add world linking and appenning? Really usefull for linking hdri environnement set-up in one click
I have tried to do it myself but it does not work
No idea for the windows OS problem sorry
Thank you for sharing this

Iā€™m enjoying this script for trying out different materials from my materials folder. My only problem is that the object is deselected after a material is imported. Would it be easy to edit the script to keep the object selected? That way we could easily test different materials without having to select the object every time.

It is the next step I would like to do. But thatā€™s not an easy one because there is more than one way to instantiate linked objects. Make a proxy or only use the linked datablock. I donā€™t know well how proxy works actually.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s a quite good idea. Iā€™ll add it in the next release.

I could add it but I think I will try to integrate something thatā€™s more general, something that is looking for all the datablocks. Not only objects or materials but everything like world, curves, brushes, etc.

To confirm what the first post in this thread said. To use this addon you have to reorganize your blend files into folder on you computer. These folders are based on what type of objects are in the blend files in that folder Then use the addon to choose each of those folders according to the objects you want to import from the blend files in that folder into you present project.

Excuse me for seeming negative but is that not a lot more work then just choosing append or link from the file menu?

It does nothing more that what you can do by hand linking or appending from file menu but itā€™s much more easy once you have your folder setup that will be accessible in all your files in my opinion.

Nuke or Maya I use have both this tool build in. I just wanted to mimic this feature with this script that I find useful for my workflow. Especially for node setups and materials.