Ace Dragon's museum of art (sketchbook)

I noticed that Luxrender 1.5 is out now, now there was a time where I did attempt to get results out of Luxrender (before the days of Cycles). I did a total of 5 images, here are the three more notable ones.

Now one reason I left Luxrender for Cycles, the cacophony of settings meant it took me over a month to find a decent enough combo to render the first image (for the first two I ultimately had to break the rules and set the max rejections for metropolis sampling lower than recommended). The third one was actually a port to Luxrender after not being able to do it in Cycles, I wanted to port another over at the time, but that image had a light behind glass that Luxrender simply could not do (while Cycles handled it easily).

So the reason being, I got better results out of Cycles than Luxrender, because for one thing I didn’t have fireflies that were 9 to 16 pixels in size (you read that right). It might be a bit better now, but most of the stuff on the Luxrender forum is still in the vein of experimenting with light setups and is fairly light on practical scenes.

Wow that dragon is looking good. Do you have high res image, I was thinking that would look great as on a desktop? Thanks.

Do you have any tips on how you create those textures. I love the look, it’s almost psychedelic.

Which textures are you describing, the Dragon’s textures for instance are more or less standard reptilian fare.

Just in general, such as post 52, is it hand made textures?

I use a texture making software for that (Genetica version 4). At the least it allows for far more complex textures than if they were handmade.

I seem to always have ideas on what I can try to improve my organic material node, the newest iteration slightly de-emphasizes the glossiness and brings a greater emphasis on SSS (EDIT; Updated again with some fresnal and component mixing tweaks).

The Algorithm of Fun: - There might be times where one might wonder if he is losing the capacity to actually do a little something that keeps people happy, and that is having fun. He might try to take an analytical approach to it and set off to find the formula that he may have known when he was young, but has since forgotten it.

This image could be a reflection of that, overall, the main part came out very close to what I originally had in mind.

Friday Cheap Seats; - Many people adamantly try to avoid the fate of sitting in the ‘nosebleed’ section during a football game. Others don’t mind, but they’ve never been to this stadium.

Took a while to render due to the volumetric clouds (though the lightpath trick used with making the lights helped with the noise), but after quite a few rounds of changing small things here and there, I managed to get it according to my initial idea. Glow and beams were also added in the compositor since doing it there made it much easier to get the intended effect.

Cool concept Ace, I wouldn’t want to have to walk up those stairs! Reminds me a little of the rooftop seats outside Wrigley Field in Chicago.

Thanks, the chairs are also all linked objects despite the different labels on them. I used the object data node’s location parameter to create a sort of offset grid for the texture mapping.

My Yellow Sunflower; Basically, this is an image that my mother was wanting me to make for a while (because apparently I am under the obligation as a Kansas artist to make one as if I can never see enough renditions of them).

In a sense, this has a bit more attention to detail in terms of plants than what is usual for me, the materials at least not being quite as easy as I would’ve thought (had to make a new material type for my collection to really get it looking decent). The other challenge was making it somewhat different from the 10000 other sunflower pictures that might be circulating out there, and one way to do that was to have more than 1 type (one with the big head and one that has the little heads, but multiple flowers).

I think I might’ve been able to make it a little better, but close ups of plants have not been a usual part of my work.

Last two post looking really nice, Ace. The Nickel Seats brought a laugh, echo the concept remark. And, here’s hoping Mom is happy. And, it fulfills your obligation as a Kansas artist.

Oh, she was happy with the image alright.

I never knew that cheap seats in a stadium were known as ‘Nickel Seats’, did they actually sell for a nickel at one point?

Glad to hear that since Moms are special. In a league of their own so to speak. They could have for all I know, guy. Baseball has been around a lot longer then my 3/4s of a Century. And, it goes without saying will be around when I’m not. For that matter might be when everyone on this forum is not.

My sport is football and I wouldn’t be so quick to make the same statement about it. A couple of guys I played with in high school got rather slow on the uptake later in life. And, even through they are using some pretty sophisticated technology now and changing rules the jury will remain out for several more years at least. Not to mention if the business interest have their way the jury will remain out indefinitely. I do hope they can salvage the game without so many guys paying the price. Sorry Ace but when old folks get to rambling…

Cute as a Button; - The old saying ‘cute as a button’ taken literally. A lone button on top of a fuzzy blanket with 2 million unique strands and kept from overlapping the button with short-range forcefields.

So buttons may or may not be that cute, but who doesn’t love a fuzzy blanket to make them snug, especially during the Winter.

Updated and replaced the Dragon images in post 64 (i’ve dedicated too many posts to them in general).

Quite a bit of tweaking and improvement was done overall to the shading.

Fizzy Soda Dreams; - The realization of a quirky idea I had to visualize one being inside of a soda bottle (read, I don’t do beer pictures). The effect was a little tricky to get started with but everything soon just slid into place. Made careful use of bubble elements to give proper weight distribution visually.

Yes, I have another Dragon model lying around (not just the one for my avatar). He hasn’t been in a proper scene yet, but he already has a dense multires sculpt layer and a full organic material treatment save for the claws (not visible).

I would be warned though to not tick him off, he’s quite deadly (as handsome as he is). I think I about cracked the shading puzzle that goes into realistic looking organic material (it’s definitely more than a few SSS nodes and a glossy).

The Washiest Washing Machine Ever; - What do you get when you take an ordinary washing machine and crank up what it does to 11 (basically meaning it shakes like it’s about to explode). A fairly quick image relative to some of my other ones (but has a lot of detail courtesy of displacement, for instance, the corrugation in the tubes were not modeled)

I’m also amazed that Chrome’s spellcheck actually regards ‘Washiest’ as a real word (whose idea was that) :eek:

Nice work on those shiny metal tubes! The shader looks spot on :slight_smile: