A shadow's curse. A blender horror game

Increadible! :sunglasses:

Fred/K.S

Why all of the horror the have a word ‘shadow’?

next game : shader shadows of the cheddar’s shadow

1 Like

Does anyone else here find this The shadows lengthen - horror game ironically the same (?) :thinking:

(same VISUALS & almost same TITLE)

1 Like

Hello @RPaladin

This is me, Thomas Murphy, the creator of the game “The Shadows Lengthen”. I see your point. I just looked through this thread & it does have similarities to my game. We both have “shadow” in the title and both involve a cabin in the woods.
I want to assure you & this game’s creator I have no intention of infringing or “ripping off” this game idea. I would never rip off a fellow artist. I didn’t know this project even existed.
I do look forward to another game coming to life in the BGE though!

Also a bit about my game o,…,0:

My game was inspired by games like alien isolation and popular horror films.
The reason my game is called “The Shadows Lengthen” is because the action in my game “starts” at sunset, when the shadows of the trees in my game “Lengthen”. The cabin in the woods theme was basically inspired by the popular horror trope of “Being alone in a cabin in the woods”.

It takes place in a procedural endless world. And you face down monsters from myth and legend. Like the Vampire, Werewolf, Banshee.
Best,
-T

2 Likes

Hi @Thomas_Murphy
First of all.
Thx for the honesty.

2nd of all.
I knew OLD BLENDER GAME ENGINE VETERANS woudn’t just plagiarize a fellow user’s hard work :+1:

[ FINAL WORDS ]
I was just trying to find out what was happening, like, is this a NEW_TREND like Battle-Royale or something that I didn’t know about :grinning:

1 Like

WHOO thanks. You got me scared for a second there.
I would never rip off this creator, in fact in they need some help I would be down to lend them some assets to help with their project!
Yeah “Shadows” I think is a trend because all the good horror titles have been taken (like “the Dying Light”) basically you can’t just say “Dark” or “Sunset” anymore because it’s difficult to trademark these titles because they are too generic. I think “Shadow” sounds cool also…

2 Likes

Thomas , the ripper … lol He can rip all … just leave the 18fps in that cabin, please ! I wonder how some people are able to go below 60fps on low poly games ??

1 Like

@Thomas_Murphy

Didn’t mean to scare the (DARK_GAME_CREATOR) :blush:
Good luck with your game btw :+1:

1 Like

Except the “ripper” only worked in (CITIES) :wink: not (SECLUDED FORESTS)
Perhaps the newer version of “Friday the 13th” (?) :thinking:

1 Like

14fps running on that potato pc

1 Like

@blenderaptor

Indeed. Wonder why.
[ EDIT ]
[1] Maybe he hasn’t BAKED all of the textures, hence maybe 1000+ textures (?)
[2] Also POINT lighting is very intensive (at least on my computer) :slightly_smiling_face:

@Thomas_Murphy
Is your game The shadows lengthen - horror game going to be able to run on LOW-END computers or only MODERN ones (?)

1 Like

Sorry ._______. my worst fear is being painted a “plagiarist”. As an Artist that is what I hate the most.

@blenderaptor
Nice.

1 Like

Yes. I am testing the game and making sure that it will run on most PCs.

1 Like

@Thomas_Murphy
I’m sorry, I really didn’t mean to cause distress to you or any other of your CO-WORKERS.

1 Like

@Thomas_Murphy
I have a very LOW-END computer so that is nice.

well, there’s many things you can do as you already know :

• reduce poly
  • use bump-map
  • bake textures with bump-map
  • avoid pulsing mode
  • reduce number of key frames in animations
  • textures not too big

add your tips, coz its all i know so far :stuck_out_tongue:

there’s a good tuto on youtube … but i cannot remember all thje tips

LoL It’s ok it’s mainly just me and @Thatimster.
Also as a shameless plug, my patrons www.patreon.com/feral3d supporters have access to version beta version 0.1 that lets players test the open world on their machines.
They have reported framerates varying from 20 to 60 FPS (this is obviously before texture and code optimizations, so this is very good news…)

1 Like