A new OS specifically designed for blender

wow, I spent a couple of hours with my girlfriend who didnt give a sh*t about all the work ive put into this, but all you guys leaving these great comments has definately made it worth while :slight_smile:
so iā€™ll try o answer everbodies questions at onceā€¦

@at BC2, yes linux is a lower level operating system (correct me if im wrong anyone) meaning it has closer access to the hardware of the pc so it can spend more time getting more done than windows would just trying to figure out what goes where before getting the same job doneā€¦ if that makes any sense lol.

@rec, thanks a bunch man xD LXDE is the faster one, it was a close one between the 2 though from reviews so i had to test them both out, and it seemed that LXDE was quicker at opening applications so that was the winner :slight_smile: the first version i did was actually on arch, and although it was lightning fast the settup procedure was way way way too complicated for anyone to consider making a home for this OS on there computer lol, i also used suse and fedora in other versions and ubuntu and fedora won for ease of installation and ubuntu won for having a more up to date repository with constant blender updates :slight_smile: ok thanks, iā€™ll give it a go tomorrow when im nice and awake again and post the results :slight_smile:

@jeanot, thank jeanot :smiley: no problem, i will get 2.7 installed into the system tomorrow, i didnt realise that 2.7 was out yet or i wouldve added it first time lol. as for the audio apps, I do want to keep this as light as possible and preferably aimed just at graphic designers, although im sure it wouldnt be too difficult to release a full studio version for fellows like yourself, iā€™ll put it on my whiteboard as a todo (yes i actually have a whiteboard, and im not ashamed haha) screen capture for tut makers is a great idea aswell, iā€™ll add that to the build tomorrow too :slight_smile: I know what you mean about all the updates, i woke up this morning and ubuntu had over 300 updates to install, i dont know what went wrong during the night but i wasnt happyā€¦ even less happy when i then loaded win7 to find 73 updates had to be installed >:(

@kemmlar, there really isnt much hassle in setting up a dual boot (if you read tutorials they will go a long and complex route) but for the release of this OS i will write a tutorial showing how to do it in 5 minutes (thats all it took for me)

@eppo, maybe im just getting tired, but what do you mean by terminal top? and thank you :slight_smile: as long as your computer supports booting from USB then it wont be too difficult to make a live USB from the ISO, although im not sure yet whether for simplicities sake i will need to just go for a full install instead of live discā€¦ but ill see what I can do anyways :slight_smile:

right i think I have answered everybodies questions, please dont feel offended if i have missed anyone out, it is purely accidental.

Got a quick favour to ask of anybody, and thats to share this thread with anybody who you know might find it useful.

thanks for everybodies support, with care. Bizlaā€¦

[edit] boot time on this machine is 28 seconds, and win 7 is 1 minute 12 seconds, so a success there aswell

Well, most people who can compile a GNU/Linux distro donā€™t have girlfriends so youā€™re already way ahead thereā€¦ ;D

(And for godā€™s sake people, take that for what is is, hehe, humor! :D)

haha, what a reply! :smiley:

what do you mean by terminal top

top displays all your system processes. I think eppo wants to see just how lean and mean your build is!

nerd with no girlfriend! :smiley:

@cd38, thanks man, I was too knackered to think straight last night lol.
@BC2, you donā€™t know how lucky you are :wink:

Well last night I added screen recorder and winff to convert the recorded file into something uploadable :slight_smile:
Tried to add gimp 2.7 but the PPA (repository) was playing up so Iā€™ve reverted it back to 2.6

I think I will actually test out the new screen recorder and show you guys how snappy this system is :slight_smile:

as for the top, you can discount the top 2 because im playing music through chromium. as well as the screenshot util and the terminal. so that leaves just 1 proccess, xorg (which is what displays the desktop) not bad, tell me what you think people :slight_smile:

looking great! Dontā€™ you think 3 gig for a swap is a waste? Iā€™ve never seen mine rising above 500 Mbā€¦

haha, yeah maybe, ive never actually used my swap space as far as I know, but then again 4 gigs is plenty for most stuff, its set to use 3GB just incase some people with very little ram want to use it (and it should be adjustable anyway from first install/setup.
ive just burnt the first ISO of the OS, going to test it out, if it all works as expected then i can start uploading it :slight_smile:

cool idea, ive came up with similar solution and installed ubuntu on pendrive in persistent mode, so when i leave home and dont want to take laptop with me i just take pendrive and use it on different machine, but my installation is pure ubuntu with lxde, so seeing this well organized and optimized is so cool!
only thing id consider maybe is ubuntu one, or something similar, its good to keep your files in the cloud, so you can work from different terminals on the same project without too much hassle, but i understand that starting compilation should be as light as possible soā€¦
anyway, id definitely will try that out, especially that cycles is so much faster with ubuntu than win7, keep it up :wink:

@kilbee, good idea with the pendrive, i might make something like that in later releases :slight_smile:
thank you xD im now making a website for it (all the linux releases have websites so why should this be any different hha)
ubuntu one is a fantastic service, i have it on my phone,windows 7 on both computers and on ubuntu on the other computer, but i do think that at least to start with this distro should be as minimal as possible :slight_smile:
I agree with you on the cycles, i wasnt expecting a speed increase anywhere near that much.

While we are at - what about video drivers? included,not? There are some, khmmā€¦ issues, take Ubuntuā€¦ almost any distro btwā€¦ And most painful - documentation, sources? Download traffic expenses - torrent? Geez, that grows into big enterprise imho :))

how is it when it comes to installing AMD/Nvidia gpu drivers for cycles/opengl ,
how easy is it to set up a development environment with this as well as ā€¦
what are the minimum requirements of this

you going to post to graphicall when your done, bizla?

hows it when it comes to duel or even 6 displays monitors

this thread REALLY makes me feel like a dumb Mac user.

Mac user! we donā€™t like your kind here! :stuck_out_tongue:

i have no idea if it depends on desktop manager or how to set it up if it doesnt work, simply because i plugged my external monitor and all worked out of the box, so i guess it wont be a problem

Iā€™m looking forward to trying this distro out. Especially for comparing Cycles render times to Windows 7 on my same hardware and for those long render jobs.

bizla - If you donā€™t mind, I could use pointers to any information sources you used to figure out this: ā€œblender 2.62.3 set to automatically update when a new SVN is releasedā€

Basis for Blender auto svn update could be wget/grep/ and some more on this web page source, however that would require working web link and lots of downloads to be done on each startup. Not a fanciest idea imho. I hate when at clientā€™s i find that their PC i have attached my wireless modem has secretly downloaded half a gig Billā€™s updates because i had simply forget to switch them off.
Even then i wouldnā€™t be overexcited finding that this new blender version (which was done, while i was waiting 20 min to start blender, huh) has ruined file on which i used to work during last week or so and for some reason thereā€™s no backup at handā€¦
Again, fresh blender from live cd - itā€™s going to disappear after i switch off pc? even if it had sooo much RAM to fit downloaded source and compile? That is different when os is installed or put on stick of course. Which wouldnā€™t be quite safe for win users out thereā€¦
I mean, it is of course, but then again - @#$% happenz.
Image size question - is it more than would fit on Mini dvd - 1.4Gb ?

By now i probably sound Milnā€™s Donkeyā€¦

Anyhow - whatā€™s ETA?