3D calligraphy dificulties

you can try to work with Bsurface
but usualy this is for hand approximative drawing not for precise design
mnd you you can learn it it might usefull for a lot of things it’s avery good script

look at the plans first and i don’t see the cross sections for the letter
i supposed you have other drawings to allow you draw the curves in 3D!
i hope or it will be very difficult to make these 3D curves!

now with such precision do it by hand one piece at a time and it will come out precisely!

now you are uisng blender with a scale on 1 here
so this limits you to 7 digits of precision like 1234.123 meters
so with this it will give resol to 1 mm but dont’e xpect too much on the mm resol if you extrude or do other operations you will loose the lat digists at least!

don’t forget to set you unit to meter in world panel!

happy cycles

are these drawings for a real building?

and i assume here you want to do a render of the building’s outside not the inside!

on the PDF drawings
what are the circles = columns may be?

for that i guess you can make independant objects on another layer

you could save image from pdf and uplaod in blender to help do the models!

if you have plan for each floor then do it floor by floor then you might be able to make the faces with mesh or if you want more control over curvature may be use nurbs surfaces ect…

mind you from a genral point of view Blender is not a CAD soft but more a general purpose 3D modeling soft!
so don’t expect to have all the CAD tools here!
but there are several scripts that can help

hope it helps

I used cad softwares before, namely autocad and archicad.
The first was incapable of booleans at any complex geometry, the other one cannot produce anything such.
Autocad had many errors of inconsistency, so for the “precision”, the overall digits behind the integer just doesn’t make it more “accurate”.
While with this “manual” modelling, everything can be controlled.

The pdf was about the letter construction in 2D. How each stroke is built up when an actual pen is used in 2D.
There is not much connection with the actual structures, just with the overall shape.

For the floors, there will be one at least, as there will be a road crossing the building from top to bottom, so that it will have three gates.

do you have the different cross section at different levels to make the 3D curves ?

do you do only outside or also the inside of building

tell us what else you need next

salutations

I’m working on those sections in inkscape.
Asked about that on inkscape and typography related forums if there was a built-in solution for that.
Not much answer, the scatter extension is the closest so again it needs manual working.

After the overall shape is ready, some parallel surfaces will be needed for the wall structure,
and a steel structure from rods.

I didn’t think about where windows or doors will be yet.

why don’t you do it all in blender would be a lot easier
and can easyli be modified in blender!

show us what you get

thanks

The main goal is to create plans on the building in some 2D vector format.
And I’m more familiar with inkscape than with blender.
And more confortable with blender, than with scripting, so that pointcloud method is not for me.

do you re create the drawing 2D like in PDF file
and also the 3D model in blender

i mean easier to do all in blender it has a lot more tools then inkscape i think
but it’s up to you!

happy cycles

Sorry for the late reply, yes, exactly. All 2D will be print ready for large scale plotting.
Recently I almost figured out a way how to construct the horizontal cut lines precisely,
but some inaccuracy problems made me turn to mathematical construction of such lines on the pen tool.
There is some material on that:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CassiniOvals.html
Haven’t decided if I would really use it as again it would double the work.

Drew this recently in inkscape:
http://openclipart.org/people/Lazur%20URH/vopx2.svg
This is a cut-line used as a pen shape on a random curve.
Likely each cut lines on that pen shape wouldn’t have their tangent points aligned on a plane at a random position along the axis of the stroke, but I’m not yet 100% sure about it.

i’m having problme understanding how this PDF file works so many pages to show not certain what !
may be showing how to make the 3D curve
can you explain the different pages ?

thanks

Here is a quick animation, probably representing the process. If marked with blue Grease pen is what you drew earlier as a yellow ribons - this is a result of tweening of at least 3, what i called, deltas. I was looking how to construct this line for each given rotation angle using just a tool’s surface.

This animation can be used to produce traces, which then could be converted to curves, joined and Bsurfaces used to get the model done.
Shift-Ctrl-A makes duplicates real whether these initially were full blown 3d objects or just some curve.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/21169

interesting demo
but my PC is so sluggish it is crawling and smoking !LOL

can you redo it with a very low poly for the torus !
i might be able to see it

it is so slow i cannot even edit it !

so this PDF file would be like a tut on how to draw it !

thanks

@ RickyBlender:

That pdf was more on a 2D building, as every stroke end was adjusted for that purpose.
Just as if it was drawn with a real pen, which is built up from that two circles and a rectangle.
So the separate pdf strokes differs from the actual 3D stokes.
It is because in 2D I wanted to avoid any errors of drawing one edge by two strokes edge.
Like where the 1st and 2nd stroke intersect, the 1st stroke is not pulled from exactly the top.

But for the 3D , that is not true, as there would be a gap that way on the top of the building in such intersections.

@eppo:
Yes, that is how the geometry goes.
Will try to draw an animation like that.
Apart from that I want to avoid any manual tracing.

Here is a link on a pdf that I used for the modelling:

And here is the pen shape with low face count:

Here is a blend file with the previous pen model on the basic positions:
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/21171
Haven’t done an animation where duplicants are placed on the right paths. Will look it up how to.

you did you 1/2 torus for the end with no subsurf
you could use subsurf to reduce and get rounder shape!

i’ll try to make one for you alter today

on PDF file what on top right
what is this circle is this a columns or a brush size ?

i’m not a big user of inkscape for 3D i prefer blender which has all the tools necesary to do 3D models and anmation ect…

thanks

looking at your 1/ 2 torus end
i can see that it is not a circle more like an ellipse
is that what it is supposed to be ?

i dont see the side for this in the PDF file!
is there a way to save an image on one page quickly from PDF file ?

thanks

how much do you know on blender ?
do you know how to use subsurf spin how to use the widget and cursor

i think this should be easy to do with all the nfo available in your PDF file!

only thing i dont see is the size of the 1/2 torus
apart of that i think you already have all the curvature radius for all parts of the rounded letter

happy cycles

The basic shape is made of two toruses, so that elliptical look is intentional.
Here is the plans on the construction of that:

The height data is not good at some places though.

With inkscape you can open one page of a pdf, then you can either save it as a pdf or export it to bitmap.

I did use the 3D cursor to construct that low poly pen shape.
Didn’t want to add any modifier as it can slow down the performance too.

I know about the basics in blender I guess, but that’s relative to the users.
Some simple modelling, some simple texturing and rendering animations with only set keys.

Never could get along with rigging bones or video compositing yet, nor used ever the game mode.

Oh and that circle at the top is a digree mark, so it’s a “B°”, but that part is made of a simple torus and cylinders.

what do you want to do with such high precision?

never done one like that with such a high precision
i mean you’ll end up with around let 10 K verts for one letter

thanks