15 years 3ds max veteran switching to Blender!

Hi Herbert,

I will have a look at winsplit look nice but i am really satisfy with the little app since it is very simple and provide me with the functionality i had in 3ds max.

After all those years i develop an eye for modeling anything only from image references here a very small example of model i did this way, these render are really basic but you will get the point.

And for the extension i have it already install it is a real time saver and i warmly recommend it to any user.

The way my workspace is set up i cannot have 2 screens at the moment but i will change that very soon since i prefer working with 2 screens.

Hi xrg,

For the add on it is quicker to set up since you donā€™t have to manually enter coordinates for aspect ratio of the image since the extension do it automatically for you.

Your method is also good for certain type of work but it made me discover some strange behavior when i split view since itā€™s screw up my headers bar on top and the image browser didnā€™t want to show up in the second view when i try to select itā€™s simply do nothing and stayed in 3d view. Will have to investigate this later on.

So far so good and soon i will tackle the rigging part of blender so when i will be done with my first rig i will comment back about it.

But for the modeling part my answer is a definitive wow, faster then any package out there, only a few week ago i would have tell everyone that 3ds max was the best and fastest modeling tool.

Now i realize how clunky it was modeling in 3ds max because i just re model a very basic shape in both app and it come down that i made it 40% faster in blender!

Learn the shortcuts and you will unleash a real modeling beast!

I search the forum to see if someone had done a thread dedicated to 3ds max users switching to blender kind of migrating guide and it doesnā€™t seem to have one explaining in detail so i wonder if the community would like to see such a thread?

I am willing to start one if the community want it and please just tell me in which section of the forum would be the best place to put it.

That would greatly help max users to switch without loosing too much time and for me it would just help me out to imprint the new workflow in my memory bank.

Waiting for feedback to start it.

Blender is indeed very fast at modeling and not only ! The trick is how well you make the available tools work in tandem with each other. I think that just a handful of people actually realize how much is hidden. Thatā€™s why doing a lot of tutorials on very different things and studying the manual and reading the forums is essential. After two years of jumping back and forth between Blender and various programs I start to see how much I actually donā€™t see in what Blender really is.

Hi reC,

Indeed blender would gain much more attention from professionals if they knew the hidden power of it .

For the moment i cannot talk about the other part of blender like rigging, weight skin, animation and compositing since i am not yet there but i am anxious to see if it as good as the modeling part.

A few little tipsā€¦

1. the fastest way to constrain to an axis with tools is to start moving the selection in the direction you want then hit the middle mouse button to lock to the closest axis, you can press the middle mouse button again to unlock should you make a mistake.

2. the other is something that hasnā€™t come up yet in the conversation yet but I just learnā€™t a few days ago. EdgeSplit is the analog to smoothing groups in Max.

Hi Kay,

Thank for the tip but unfortunately the smooth group options in blender are terribly bad and i am afraid that this part will have to be done in 3ds max since no decent options is to be found in blender(maybe i am wrong on this one).

EdgeSplit is creating more vertex and in 3ds max you can assign number to different set of faces and make them smooth without adding extra vertices.

Edit: My mistake i was applying edgesplit on one selected edge instead of applying the modifier to the whole object first.

Smooth groups are an essential part of game prop creation without proper tool to do it you just add extra geometry.

So far smooth groups are my only first big deception.

I did some further test and i think i am getting the hang over how edge split can work similar as in 3ds max, first you need to go to edit mode and select all (A) then you select the edge section you want to be hard and apply mark as sharp.

After i collapse the stack object doesnā€™t seem to be separated but i have to verify vertex count in Unity to see if that add more of them.

I will do both operation in blender and 3ds max and export both to unity and i will comment back with my result.

User of max may get confused by trying to select face instead of edge because selecting a row of face will make vertical edge all hard so the row will look like no smoothing was apply.

You need to select the edge area surrounding the surface you want hard.

I would appreciate if someone can tell me in which forum section it would be appropriated to start a migrating from 3ds max to blender thread?

I think it would be very beneficial for artists who wish to make the switch.

I first thought of the tutorial section but a guide is not exactly a tutorial so maybe mod could create a guide section or tell me the best place to start it.

Since no one is answering my question i will start the ā€œMigrating from 3ds max to blender guideā€ in the tutorial section and if a mod find a better place then he will surely bump it where it belong.

Hi, may the other software thread is suitable.
You can report your tread/post to the admins with the small button in the left bottom of every post.

Cheers and welcome to the blender world, mib.

Thank mib2berlin,

I will pm a mod before starting this since i am a perfectionist i would like to make a neat thread with image references from each software but i know there is surely a limit of image per-post so i might not be able to do it the way i picture it.

Also it would have been great if i could give different color to text say putting blender command in orange and 3ds max command in blue to make it very clear.

cheers

One thing i truly miss from max is the nice layers tool where i could name, freeze, hide etc. Clicking a dot in a square window feel strange just my 2 cents!

Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your project.

Hi Writer,

Thank for the warm welcome.

Welcome to Blender sir and goodluck for the project :slight_smile:
thats a great 15 years with Max ā€¦

Can I join to hour project sir? though iā€™m not the best but willing to learn anthing about creating stuff and crafting games :wink:

Welcome to Blender!

All the best to coming to this exciting community and family!

Welcome to the community Pierre! Itā€™s great to see that you have found Blender to be useful for you and It looks like itā€™s been able to save you some money as well as far as licensing goes.

Iā€™m looking forward to the game that you and your son are working on. Although I do think the Survival Horror game genre has been a bit overused, It sounds like you will have something very unique. I am very much curious to see what you will come up with.

I hope your stay has been/is enjoyable so far :eyebrowlift:. Please keep us posted on your work with the game and your experience with Blender. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Happy Blending ,
polygobblerr